• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for those of you with a lot of books in the registry...

55 posts in this topic

How accurate do you find the point values are?

I know that looking at certain books, the numbers are out there in either direction (too low/high), but when you look at your collection as a whole, how do you feel about the total? Does it tend to balance out fairly well, or do you find that it's way off?

There are issues sometimes with the points for the same book not matching if it is utilized across different registry sets.

Gemma is always open to suggestions to correct points, along with altering points if they seem to low (or even, too high).

Ok, but all things considered, do you find the total point value of your collection to be relatively accurate?

I know that looking at certain books, the numbers are out there in either direction (too low/high), but when you look at your collection as a whole, how do you feel about the total? Does it tend to balance out fairly well, or do you find that it's way off?

I've always thought it was a little silly to worry about, because the system insures that it is apples/apples, at least as far as each individual set is concerned.

So even if 9.8 Battlechasers are only 24 points each, everyone is getting the same value for the books, if they are "competing" in that set.

The one thing that I have jumped into the fray on, is that some people are adamant that the points should be tied to FMV, which would be a complete nightmare for CGC.

I personally think that sometimes people go overboard on the whole points thing, but that is just me. My love of the Registry is based upon it being a user friendly way to keep track of lots of books (although over 1/3 of my SS books don't have sets for them), and that it provides a good way to connect with other folks who are looking for the same/similar books. There are several other Copper SS fiends whose Registry I watch so that I can look out for 9.8 copies that they need and I can trade for their dupes. It is very symbiotic, for me.

Ok, but all things considered, do you find the total point value of your collection to be relatively accurate?

Yeah, I was thinking about that question, as it is a topic that bothers me a little bit.

When you look at the value of some of these books and then excitedly rush to the registry and find out it is worth 25-50 points for many Copper and Modern Age books, it just doesn't make sense.

But that is then what motivated me to work with Gemma to change registry set points with such items as The Crow and Hellboy, which originally had some really low points for books costing $200-$1,000. And are super-tough to track down in high-grade condition.

Within a set, it's somewhat decent with multiple exceptions in every set I've tried. Across sets, it's useless. I presume CGC knows this since they tried to partner with comicspriceguide.com to have them feed scores from their pricing data. I barely care about the points either way.

Are you asking as compared to the dollar value of the collection? If so then yes, I think it's pretty close. My registry points are only about 10% higher than the dollar value of my overall collection.

Yeah, I was thinking about that question, as it is a topic that bothers me a little bit.

When you look at the value of some of these books and then excitedly rush to the registry and find out it is worth 25-50 points for many Copper and Modern Age books, it just doesn't make sense.

But that is then what motivated me to work with Gemma to change registry set points with such items as The Crow and Hellboy, which originally had some really low points for books costing $200-$1,000. And are super-tough to track down in high-grade condition.

I will agree with this for the few modern books I have. Particularly the X-Men Pressman Gold Editions... in HG they'll go for a few hundred bucks, but they're only worth a handful of points.

Are you asking as compared to the dollar value of the collection? If so then yes, I think it's pretty close. My registry points are only about 10% higher than the dollar value of my overall collection.

For which sets? I know the Fantastic Four sets are nowhere close.

I just took a look at my total registry points and my estimated collection value... they're within 10% of each other. But to answer your question, my registry books are all X-Men and EC Horror.

personally think that sometimes people go overboard on the whole points thing, but that is just me. My love of the Registry is based upon it being a user friendly way to keep track of lots of books

I just started using the registry for the same reason; an easy way to keep track of my books. I have no interest in the competing aspect of it, but what I am wondering is whether or not I can reasonably expect the registry to provide me with a relatively accurate measure of what i've spent on my collection.

Thus far, after putting in roughly a dozen books, the point value is close to what I've spent. But as I add more and more books, this will be harder to keep track of, so I'm wondering how it has worked for those of you with 100s or even 1000s of books registered.

Yep. And good to know.

On the whole, the Regsitry really emphasizes the value of HQ golden age books and minimizes the value of UHQ bronze, copper and modern age books. However, some 9.8 modern books may be worth more points than 9.8 books from 1975 (don't ask me why).

There are plenty of areas where the points don't always make sense (see the Alpha Flight set compared to any other CA or modern M.rvel set) but I believe Gemma said they started with one algorithm and then updated it later on so the first sets included in the registry may have correspondingly lower point values than newer sets.

All in all, it doesn't really matter too much unless you have aspirations to beat Doug Schmell. Within each set, everyone gets the same values and the point progression from 0.5 to 10.0 seems to make pretty good sense.

personally think that sometimes people go overboard on the whole points thing, but that is just me. My love of the Registry is based upon it being a user friendly way to keep track of lots of books

I just started using the registry for the same reason; an easy way to keep track of my books. I have no interest in the competing aspect of it, but what I am wondering is whether or not I can reasonably expect the registry to provide me with a relatively accurate measure of what i've spent on my collection.

Thus far, after putting in roughly a dozen books, the point value is close to what I've spent. But as I add more and more books, this will be harder to keep track of, so I'm wondering how it has worked for those of you with 100s or even 1000s of books registered.

I don't think you can. GA books may give you 2x or 3x the points based on what you spend and 'hot' titles may only give you half or less than you spend.

Is it one area that tends to be nowhere close? Like maybe uber high grades, or earlier issues?

From looking at the ASM point values, I noticed that the books I'm logging (mid-late silver, 7.0-8.0 range) tend to be pretty good, but when I look at the point values for higher grades, they're a little out of whack (like 1000 points for an ASM 100 in 9.4 for example).

I don't think you can. GA books may give you 2x or 3x the points based on what you spend and 'hot' titles may only give you half or less than you spend.

Good to know.

Is it one area that tends to be nowhere close? Like maybe uber high grades, or earlier issues?

From looking at the ASM point values, I noticed that the books I'm logging (mid-late silver, 7.0-8.0 range) tend to be pretty good, but when I look at the point values for higher grades, they're a little out of whack (like 1000 points for an ASM 100 in 9.4 for example).

I think the HG Keys are too low. I'd love to get an X-Men #1 9.0 for $13K!

I always assumed it was mainly Copper and Modern that had the greatest challenge on points not matching scarcity and/or value. It sounds like it is spread throughout the ages, and just depends on if someone has brought this to CGC's attention.

I noticed Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8 was worth 1,500 most probably because at one point, it was assumed this was a book that would never see more than a handful of 9.8 examples. Over the past two years, the market has proven otherwise. Yet an Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold CGC 9.8 with only 5,000 books ever published and a challenge to find in high grade was assigned 80 points. And there are far less copies of A&A Gold 9.8 than there is Harbinger 9.8's.

Gemma, upon being notified and presented with the details, adjusted both books (one with lower points, one with higher points).

So, it's a case-by-case situation sometimes how the points get adjusted.

Granted I bought a lot of my high end books around all time highs....but mine are NO WHERE NEAR 10% higher!!!! I wish they were insurance wise!!

Two off the top of my head are my TMNT #1 9.6 and my DD #7 9.2. TRIPLING them (adding 200%) doesn't even doesn't even do it.

I'm thinking I'm 35% higher in monetary value compared to that of Registry Points. Again, that is due to what I paid, when I paid and what I collect I feel.

Ensuing, no slam against the Registry, I love the Registry and what it stands for. Gemma does a helleva job. Besides, I don't know enough about funny books and their funny prices, or care enough to ask Gemma to reevaluate them to justify what I personally spent. I'm just happy to have a place to register them.