• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC's Shock Illustrated

33 posts in this topic

Well, as far as information on them: they were EC's attempt to bypass the comic code by using a "magazine format". All were basically 2-color illustrations with the idea of "Picto-Fiction to use captions describing what was going on. I used to have a couple of them and enjoyed them (wish I still had them). Yours is a real beauty! Titles included Shock Illustrated 1-3 and Crime Illustrated 1 and 2. They failed with these titles but succeeded amazingly with MAD when they went from comic to magazine format with issue 24.

In the Grant Geisman book TALES OF TERROR, Russ Cochran says that Bill Gaines gave him a copy of SHOCK ILLUSTRATED #3 from his file copies in the late sixties. That was some gift!

Doiby:

Do you know this as a fact? I haven't heard this before. The census numbers don't seem to reflect it.

I collected EC's from 1976 to 1999. This was always one of those books that I hated paying a big price for - since it's value was based solely on poor distribution rather than important content. When Russ started selling the Gaines copies, I don't recall there being 12 of these available.

I could be wrong though...I'm getting up in years... wink.gif

--Gary

Do you know this as a fact? I haven't heard this before. The census numbers don't seem to reflect it.

I don't know it for a certain fact, but Cochran does mention that Gaines went to his vault and pulled out one copy from his wrapped up stash. I assumed that he had as many SI #3's as he did other books. It's possible that he sold some of them earlier, or gave some away to other collector friends who needed the book(this did happen with an early VOH, which only has one or two file copies as a result).

I guess someone could always contact Russ Cochran and ask him.