• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-Robin Tec club

201 posts in this topic

For my money Detective 69 and 70 are the bomb. The best two Batman and Robin Detective covers.

Did someone say "Detective 33"? ...

detective54.jpg

For my money Detective 69 and 70 are the bomb. The best two Batman and Robin Detective covers.

Did someone say "Detective 33"? ...

detective54.jpg

Hey...

I'm a fan of Tec #33! :cloud9:

I'm also quite fond of Tec #54 as well; amazing copy. (thumbs u

I'm going to take a moment right now to go on a mini rantrant .

I think that the early "Post-Robin" Tec era is one of the most amazing eras in the history of comics. We go on and on (rightfully so may I add) about the "Pre-Robin Tec" era, yet the "Post-Robin Tec" era seems to go under-recognized.

I feel the reason for this, is the distaste so many have for Robin. But not just Robin the character, but the perceived change that was brought about upon his introduction to the series.

I have just finished reading the run of Tec #27-40 and noticed a few things about the early Post-Robin era. The first (and perhaps most important) being that Batman did not transform into camp immediately following the introduction of Robin.

The tone of Tec's #38-40 didn't seem to be all that much different than the tone of Tec #35-37. There was an evolution to the character (which had been the case throughout the Pre-Robin run anyway), but it wasn't that much different from the Batman that had existed just prior to Robin's introduction.

I've yet to read past Tec #40 (although I had years ago), so I can't claim to be any authority on the subject as the series progressed; but I believe that the general consensus is that things went down hill rather quickly. The tone of the series began to lighten up and so much of what collectors loved about the early appearences of Batman began to fade away.

Nevertheless, it amazes me that the run of Tec #38-40 doesn't get more attention. Some of the stories are phenomenal, even when compared to their Pre-Robin counterparts.

:hi:

97819.jpg

Another one of the Post-Robin greats.

2nd appearence of Robin, 1st appearence of Clayface (in final panel), 1st add for Batman #1 (I believe), and the return of both Wong and Julie Madison from the Pre-Robin Tec days.

I have heard that the cover of Tec #39 was the original cover intended for Tec #38 until they decided that the fantastic splash-page from Tec #38 would be a better way to introduce the Robin character.

Another amazing Post-Robin Tec. :cloud9:

I always liked the Joker in this issue,,

file0176.jpg

Man do I need to own a 69 to match up with the recent cover swipe variant I got. Need to have an originasl one day. Oh yea, the early Joker covers are some of my all time favorites.

:hi:

97819.jpg

Another one of the Post-Robin greats.

2nd appearence of Robin, 1st appearence of Clayface (in final panel), 1st add for Batman #1 (I believe), and the return of both Wong and Julie Madison from the Pre-Robin Tec days.

I have heard that the cover of Tec #39 was the original cover intended for Tec #38 until they decided that the fantastic splash-page from Tec #38 would be a better way to introduce the Robin character.

Another amazing Post-Robin Tec. :cloud9:

the 39 has been pushed aside for too long.... and its such a great issue to own hm

The first (and perhaps most important) being that Batman did not transform into camp immediately following the introduction of Robin.

Good point! There's a story in Bat Man #5 where Robin gets wounded early and is not seen for the rest of the story. It reads very much like a pre-Robin Detective. Bats goes very "old-school" on the bad guys.

There's a story in Bat Man #5 where Robin gets wounded early and is not seen for the rest of the story. It reads very much like a pre-Robin Detective. Bats goes very "old-school" on the bad guys.

It's a very memorable story (one of Bat's best, IMHO).

There's a story in Bat Man #5 where Robin gets wounded early and is not seen for the rest of the story. It reads very much like a pre-Robin Detective. Bats goes very "old-school" on the bad guys.

It's a very memorable story (one of Bat's best, IMHO).

I agree. I remember reading it when it was reprinted in Batman #241, and Batman's rage at the villains in that story is unforgettable. That story, along with the great cover and the classic Joker splash, make Batman 5 one of the best issues of the series.