• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Dear Gator,

What Superman/Batman book do you think is most likely to go up in price due to the new movie?

The top 3 are superman 76, worlds finest 71 and all star 36, IMO. Though all three are already cool books with decent to good demand (thumbs u

Dear Gator,

What would you say is a good price for a World's Finest 71 CGC 4.0 right now with Cm/OW pages

Thanks

NB

Sorry to say, I don't have a SUPERMAN #76 or a WORLD'S FINEST #71 and

unfortunately my ALL STAR #36 is coverless...good reading though.

9599345679_6e04b41cd6.jpg

mm

Dear Gator,

What would your rough guidelines be for when do you sell a book and when do you not.

Yes, of course, more clarification is needed.

I'm saying when you get a single highest graded Silver Age or Golden Age book (maybe a straight up submit or a remarkable pressing surprise) or one of two or three but the others are locked away.

Should you channel the collector in you and hold onto it?

Should you think, there will ( (shrug) ) be another, sell it, cash it out, these SHG do well when they are that and then go down afterwards.

Are there general principles that can be applied?

People pay top $ for the SHG since there may in fact NOT be another one, or it may not look so nice or it may have worse PQ, or not get a CVA sticker saying exceptional ( :jokealert: ) on it.

Just wondering if you have discovered wise broad truths that could be applied.

Dear Gator,

What Superman/Batman book do you think is most likely to go up in price due to the new movie?

The top 3 are superman 76, worlds finest 71 and all star 36, IMO. Though all three are already cool books with decent to good demand (thumbs u

Dear Gator,

What would you say is a good price for a World's Finest 71 CGC 4.0 right now with Cm/OW pages

Thanks

NB

I bought a cgc 4.0 recently. Just got back from Tampa con and books are still packed up so I don't recall off top of head the cost/retail but I will check sooner or later (thumbs u

Dear Gator,

What would your rough guidelines be for when do you sell a book and when do you not.

I'm saying when you get a single highest graded Silver Age or Golden Age book (maybe a straight up submit or a remarkable pressing surprise) or one of two or three but the others are locked away.

Should you think, there will ( (shrug) ) be another, sell it, cash it out, these SHG do well when they are that and then go down afterwards.

People pay top $ for the SHG since there may in fact NOT be another one, or it may not look so nice or it may have worse PQ, or not get a CVA sticker saying exceptional ( :jokealert: ) on it.

never having been a hg collector doesn't apply to me directly but general advice is with ga a shg might in fact be the only copy one ever runs across. So you must ask yourself how bad you want it? Do you need the money? Etc etc. just too many variables without Knowing specifics!

Dear Gator,

never having been a hg collector doesn't apply to me directly but general advice is with ga a shg might in fact be the only copy one ever runs across. So you must ask yourself how bad you want it? Do you need the money? Etc etc. just too many variables without Knowing specifics!

I know this is Gator's advice thread, but I'll pitch in unsolicited and add this.

if you copy is the single highest graded and you would be happy with one not as high, then sell. Once another copy joins yours at the top you could potentially have lost money

Dear Gator,

I know this is Gator's advice thread, but I'll pitch in unsolicited and add this.

if you copy is the single highest graded and you would be happy with one not as high, then sell. Once another copy joins yours at the top you could potentially have lost money

SA will more than likely eventually find another equal grade....gold, depending on book, might not be another...evah....that's why more info is needed to make a decision....

easy for me....sell and buy lower grade copy....but, we are all different with different collecting criteria.... so one size can't fit all

Yup I know it's vague, I guess the concern is one could hold onto things until they become worthless!

But I guess that's unlikely.

With gold I always pretty much assume unless you have one ofthepedigrees there will be a higher copy.

Silver , I've already had that going from SHG to one of 3 copies.

Still a silver age minor / moderate key, will remain valuable.

I imagine there is some point when you flip from collector to seller or dealer. Maybe it's a question of having focus, when you have what you want, sell the other stuff.

Edited by Doc Joe

Dear Gator,

Dear Gator,

Thanks

NB

I bought a cgc 4.0 recently. Just got back from Tampa con and books are still packed up so I don't recall off top of head the cost/retail but I will check sooner or later (thumbs u

Thanks man let me know when you can

Gator, I passed this book by a couple of different times when it was a 9.2 but then bought it as a 7.5, after someone had ruined it. Will I ever-find a higher-grade copy?

PS - Why doesn't the Golden Age Flash's hat fall off his head when he runs?

140730.jpg.8cbe2582a6e7f950ca3f92c749b5f4ae.jpg

Gator, I passed this book by a couple of different times when it was a 9.2 but then bought it as a 7.5, after someone had ruined it. Will I ever-find a higher-grade copy?

:o 9.2 to 7.5 slide? Bad press damage? What happened?

sweet book man!!!! now I am not one to answer GA questions but this has always intrigued me as well so I would like to chime in...shouldnt this have to do with the speed force, "aura" that surrounds him, hence why he or anyone he might be carrying doesnt get injured while running at such high velocities. Maybe this same aura helps him keep his sweet hat on too!!! I could be wrong (shrug) hence why you probably asked THE MAN, and not me!!!:):roflmao: take it away G.A.tor (worship)

seriously though, sweet book :applause: (thumbs u

How did someone ruin that book?

:o 9.2 to 7.5 slide? Bad press damage? What happened?

bad press that split spine a bit

sweet book man!!!! now I am not one to answer GA questions but this has always intrigued me as well so I would like to chime in...shouldnt this have to do with the speed force, "aura" that surrounds him, hence why he or anyone he might be carrying doesnt get injured while running at such high velocities. Maybe this same aura helps him keep his sweet hat on too!!! I could be wrong (shrug) hence why you probably asked THE MAN, and not me!!!:):roflmao: take it away G.A.tor (worship)

seriously though, sweet book :applause: (thumbs u

that would be a reasonable answer

it's actually one of the more common catman issues. I'm sure there is a higher grade out there but still probably not a "nice" as the MH copy

Dear Gator,

Dear Gator,

Thanks

NB

in the $500 range is reasonable

Dear Gator,

Dear Gator,

Thanks

NB

in the $500 range is reasonable

Ok awesome! I just picked one up for 4 so im happy

it's actually one of the more common catman issues. I'm sure there is a higher grade out there but still probably not a "nice" as the MH copy
Thanks!