• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comics a good investment anymore?

185 posts in this topic

Hum, is it just me or are there two VERY different discussions going in this one thread.

The investment discussion is interesting but I am still trying to figure out what "bewbies" are??

Anyway, never mind the intrusion. Back to the silliness.

I think the word is brewbies. Refering to a person new to brewing beer.

They get hassled all the time on the beer chat boards.

It is boobs noob..I know as a comic book collector they are strange and sometimes unattainable...I have my own so I just "assume everyone knows"

har har..yes there is the serious conversation and the fun people having an inside joke..

As per the origional question - I would guess no. I would think there are plenty of other investment opportunities such as stocks or properties which would make better investments over a 20 - 30 year period.

I wouldn't trust stocks because nothing has changed on Wall Street. The numbers are fudged for the coming elections. Our fiat currency is depreciating every day and with people out of work, employers demanding more for less, I question a lot of numbers being released by public companies. Read their 10K and 10Q reports. Who exactly is buying their products when people are just not spending.

Properties are usually a good investment. Back in the pre-bubble days people knew the end was coming. I managed to talk my mother into selling 3 months before it popped after explaining what I was seeing in Merrill and what the CEO did internally. Unemployment is on the rise. The unemployment reports do not show people that fell off receiving benefits because they hit their 99 week limit. A report may state that unemployment fell this month, but they are not reporting the tens of thousands that are still unemployed, but just not on file for receiving benefits.

I am in a HOA with 750 homes. About 10% are in foreclosure. Probably another 10% are in pre-forclosure. At least 30% on top of that can't pay their monthly dues and when their unemployment runs out or one of the two workers in the household get fired those homes are going to hit the market as foreclosures. Never try and catch a falling knife.

Also things to consider when investing in properties is the taxes. As less people are able to pay their taxes the County has to re-access and raise taxes to fill the gap.

Buying a property to hold and sell later can be very expensive. Everyone will be making money and when you get to the last page of this book you hope you can make money too. Risk vs Reward. Would you risk throwing money into a kettle that could boil over?

Long term, stocks are still a good investment.

Attached is a chart for the stock market from around 1900 - 2010.

---------

not many of us are vampires who can buy the DJI and hold it for 110 years.

there have been 10-20 year stretches where they have been terrible investments in the aggregate, particularly factoring in inflation

Entry and exit points matter.

Also, learn to quote lol You've been here how long....?

I've mastered the art of stocks. I buy high and sell low consistently!

We can still make money, just tell me what you're buying and I'll short sell the stock

As per the origional question - I would guess no. I would think there are plenty of other investment opportunities such as stocks or properties which would make better investments over a 20 - 30 year period.

I wouldn't trust stocks because nothing has changed on Wall Street. The numbers are fudged for the coming elections. Our fiat currency is depreciating every day and with people out of work, employers demanding more for less, I question a lot of numbers being released by public companies. Read their 10K and 10Q reports. Who exactly is buying their products when people are just not spending.

Properties are usually a good investment. Back in the pre-bubble days people knew the end was coming. I managed to talk my mother into selling 3 months before it popped after explaining what I was seeing in Merrill and what the CEO did internally. Unemployment is on the rise. The unemployment reports do not show people that fell off receiving benefits because they hit their 99 week limit. A report may state that unemployment fell this month, but they are not reporting the tens of thousands that are still unemployed, but just not on file for receiving benefits.

I am in a HOA with 750 homes. About 10% are in foreclosure. Probably another 10% are in pre-forclosure. At least 30% on top of that can't pay their monthly dues and when their unemployment runs out or one of the two workers in the household get fired those homes are going to hit the market as foreclosures. Never try and catch a falling knife.

Also things to consider when investing in properties is the taxes. As less people are able to pay their taxes the County has to re-access and raise taxes to fill the gap.

Buying a property to hold and sell later can be very expensive. Everyone will be making money and when you get to the last page of this book you hope you can make money too. Risk vs Reward. Would you risk throwing money into a kettle that could boil over?

Long term, stocks are still a good investment.

Attached is a chart for the stock market from around 1900 - 2010.

---------

not many of us are vampires who can buy the DJI and hold it for 110 years.

there have been 10-20 year stretches where they have been terrible investments in the aggregate, particularly factoring in inflation

Entry and exit points matter.

Also, learn to quote lol You've been here how long....?

I've mastered the art of stocks. I buy high and sell low consistently!

We can still make money, just tell me what you're buying and I'll short sell the stock

that game's for losers :banana: