• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice on tape removal

6 posts in this topic

I looked through the resto threads and didn't see anything on this, so here goes. I have a really pretty TOS #4 with some tape on the back. It graded a 5.0 but I think it could go at least 7.0-7.5 without the tape. The tape does not appear to be a repair, and I think it probably got stuck from a bag and the previous (careless and unlucky) owner decided to stick the tape down the rest of the way rather than tear it off. I've attached photos so you guys can see the tape. Who would be the best person to talk to for tape removal of this type, and do you guys think that this is a feasible thing to have done? Finally, from my understanding this would not move this book into a PLOD because there isn't a repair being done, but that is something else I wanted to double-check before I get any work done. I'd rather keep a blue 5.0 than move to a PLOD 7.5 or whatever. Thanks!

TOS04CGCbc.jpg

TOS04CGCbc-detail.jpg

TOS04CGC.jpg

It looks like three pieces of tape were applied for some weird reason. (shrug)

You could get a quote for tape removal(probably around $50), but it looks like there might be some residual tape stains leftover from where the adhesive broke down and soaked into the paper. So I don't think you would get that much of a grade bump by removing it. Hard to say from just scans.

If you plan on keeping the book, and the tape really bothers you I would look into removing it. But if your goal is to sell, you would need to weigh removal and re slabbing costs vs possible grade bump.

Plus factor in potential ink loss during tape removal, which is always a concern.

I hope you know was kidding . . . well somewhat anyway.

From personal experience, I once had a book with unbelievable amount of tape on it, and it took a LOT of work and $$$ to eliminate the tape and restore the book. But your problem's minimal in comparison. I'm sure most restorers will agree, tape can be especially challenging if it's very old and has fused with the paper.