• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOO NICE

25 posts in this topic

I don't know.......if he's smart enough to know the approximate value and grading, to the extent that he was "smart" enough to include scans of the corners, he would also be smart enough to offer this through other venues outside of eBay where his profit would be much greater....

And the buyer's risk would be less.....

I think it very well could be restored and not worth the gamble at the current price.

Jim

I think he's also smart enough NOT too have sold a Damn thing in the past 6 months except for a POS $7.50 sale!

Gotta be a scan, and seriously, why picture it on a postal box loose???

I don't know.......if he's smart enough to know the approximate value and grading, to the extent that he was "smart" enough to include scans of the corners, he would also be smart enough to offer this through other venues outside of eBay where his profit would be much greater....

I think it very well could be restored and not worth the gamble at the current price.

Jim

i know, i know - but doesn't some small part of you always wonder "what if", on these absurd auctions??? is somebody gonna walk away with the steal of a lifetime?? too bad that it's sold "as is"...............way too risky - but it looks so fine........

maybe Fantasy will take the plunge, fulfill his quest and then let us all know what the scoop is - perhaps it's better than a 9.6 resto devil.gif

If I lived close to the seller, I would set up a shill. Then when he asks for payment tell him I'm coming to pick it up.

If he doesnt allow it then you KNOW it's dodgy. If he does, then you can give it the once over and make a run for it if it's sheit! Either way, you don't lose!

I to wish to find that one item, but it aint gonna happen with so many people all over Ebay these days, but then again ,theres still a bargain to be had....... Just not a small fortune thumbsup2.gif

If I lived close to the seller, I would set up a shill. Then when he asks for payment tell him I'm coming to pick it up.

I wish I had seen this sooner... I live about 10 minutes away from Oceanside, NY. I would have been happy to take a drive over frown.gif

I dunno... I don't see anything overtly suspicious... you have to remember that not everyone that stumbles across a great comic is familiar with CGC, so not sending to CGC isn't necessarily a red flag. (Now, if he had a bunch of suspect books or had some CGC books, I may agree that an unslabbed AF 15 is suspect.)

I think someone may have gotten a gem of a book. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Seriously doubt it is an unrestored VF/NM or better.

Why?

Person says he is not a dealer or collector. Yet, goes on to describe that there are no bindery or printing defects. Sure sounds like someone who knows comics to to me.

Seriously doubt it is an unrestored VF/NM or better.

Why?

Person says he is not a dealer or collector. Yet, goes on to describe that there are no bindery or printing defects. Sure sounds like someone who knows comics to to me.

Isnt Oceanside pretty close to Floral Park?

Maybe Richard Koos dad moved to the water for h s retirement home and DD has a new mailing address grin.gif

Here's an email exchange with the seller that will explain why I did not bid on this item. I got no response to this last message -- something was not right here:

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: RE: Question for seller -- Item #2229524990

Date: 3/2/2004, 2:31 PM

To: naughty2@optonline.net

Can I see some clearer pictures of the corners and spine? It's a very

expensive book and I won't feel comfortable bidding a lot of money

unless I know exactly what the corners and spine look like on the front

and back cover. Thanks.

Also, who handed the book down to you?

naughty2@optonline.net wrote on 3/2/2004, 1:46 PM:

> hey-i don't know much about the comics,im learning as i go,this comic

> along

> with others are handed down to me,i don't know of conditions just what i

> checked online,its all original,i hear this is the top comic to have,i

> was

> not aware of this.good luck

>

> Original Message:

> -----------------

> From: sbonagof@aol.com

> Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:39:16 -0800 (PST)

> To: naughty2@optonline.net

> Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2229524990

>

>

> Hi there. I am interested in bidding on this comic. Do you have any

> clearer pictures of the corners and spine of the book? Also, has it

been

> restored? Finally, how did you get the book? I am interested in how it

> got to be in such nice condition, considering its age. It is very

> rare for

> a book like this to be sold by someone who is not a major comic dealer.

> --------------------

>

>

> Question from: sbonagof

> Title of item: AMAZING FANTASY 15 EXCELLENT

> Seller: enaughty23

> Starts: Mar-01-04 11:24:23 PST

> Ends: Mar-08-04 11:24:23 PST

> Price: Currently $1,025.00

> To view the item, go to:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2229524990

>

>

>

> Visit eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM at http://www.ebay.com

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

> mail2web - Check your email from the web at

> http://mail2web.com/ .

>

>

Jim

i know, i know - but doesn't some small part of you always wonder "what if", on these absurd auctions??? is somebody gonna walk away with the steal of a lifetime?? too bad that it's sold "as is"...............way too risky - but it looks so fine........

maybe Fantasy will take the plunge, fulfill his quest and then let us all know what the scoop is - perhaps it's better than a 9.6 resto devil.gif

Looks like an old Fantazia copy.

Little to no overhang and the spine just doesn't

look quite right - I'm gonna guess there might

be color touch.

Why the fuzzy scan of the corner (to hide

the color touch)?

Isnt Oceanside pretty close to Floral Park?

Maybe Richard Koos dad moved to the water for h s retirement home and DD has a new mailing address grin.gif

Not too far apart, but I doubt anyone would move to Oceanside to retire. Smelly-Dirty ChannelSide would be more accurate than "Oceanside." 893whatthe.gif Lot's of industrial areas, bus depots and overpriced Cape Cod houses that get flooded whenever there is a hurricane. tongue.gif

BTW... IIRC, there was a big comic mail order auction that used to come out of Oceanside. confused-smiley-013.gif

Looks like an old Fantazia copy.

Little to no overhang and the spine just doesn't

look quite right - I'm gonna guess there might

be color touch.

Why the fuzzy scan of the corner (to hide

the color touch)?

The edges do look a bit too good as you say. BTW, the corner image is fuzzy because it's not a scan, but a digital picture. The camera probably can't focus sharply at that close distance.

Does anyone know the buyer?

Maybe he'll let everyone know... confused.gif

Unless it's a shill. foreheadslap.gif

I don't believe the buyer was a shill though there appeared to be shilling going on. The buyer also won this controversial book from gold*n*toys (beware of music):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2227465269&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Hammer thinks so, and when it comes to spotting resto on books that didn't come from his auctions, he's usually dead on.

That's a pretty good pick-up, and apparently the restorers didn't even have a real copy for reference.

"Just put in any sort of building". foreheadslap.gif