• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do We Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure In The Marketplace?

How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure

513 posts in this topic

What's Kool Aid?

You guys call it "Flavor-Aide."

What???

Damn it Gav. It's sugar water. A flavored soft drink, but not carbonated. I thought for sure it was called Flavor-Aide in GB. But it's probably called "Drink Up, Because Your British Teeth are Already Wrecked."

What's Kool Aid?

What???

Damn it Gav. It's sugar water. A flavored soft drink, but not carbonated. I thought for sure it was called Flavor-Aide in GB. But it's probably called "Drink Up, Because Your British Teeth are Already Wrecked."

Uh-Huh. It ain't no big thing.

What's Kool Aid?

What???

That's what she said.

What's Kool Aid?

What???

That's what she said.

Anyway, if the Illinois bottled Flavor-Aide were made in the UK, it would be Flavour-Aide :makepoint:

What's Kool Aid?

What???

That's what she said.

Anyway, if the Illinois bottled Flavor-Aide were made in the UK, it would be Flavour-Aide :makepoint:

And it would suck even more.

What's Kool Aid?

What???

That's what she said.

:whatev:

What's Kool Aid?

What???

That's what she said.

If it followed the British cuisine that I have encountered, it would also be grayish and smell vaguely of feet.

What's Kool Aid?

What???

That's what she said.

If it followed the British cuisine that I have encountered, it would also be grayish and smell vaguely of feet.

I only eat beer so I couldn't comment.

What's Kool Aid?

What???

That's what she said.

Well you obviously know how to use Google, how about flexing that search muscle before asking next time. :makepoint:

What's Kool Aid?

What???

That's what she said.

Well you obviously know how to use Google, how about flexing that search muscle before asking next time. :makepoint:

You're my personal ginger Google. <3

In response to the cbca kool aid drinkers.... I helped create the org. And I press books, as do 2 other board of directors-founders. But thanks Dale, pretend the cca and NOD are the same. They arent..

Funny, thats how I feel about pressing and restoration.

I will press everything here on out. Because then my collection will be worth more :insane:

In all seriousness I have always admired those who are pro-active in disclosure. And when I became (somewhat) more knowledgeable, it is the path I took as well. Just seems right.

And as much as I like Dale Roberts I ask this. If it is too hard to disclose upfront since you will have to find out what books were or were not pressed, etc.. What difference would it make later? If you dont know, you dont know. But why not just log your books as pressed or not? It isnt difficult. Im sure you know which are restored right? What is the difficult aspect of keeping another set of notes?

Pat,

Seriously, do you have any idea how many books I go through? Obviously not or you wouldn't suggest it is just as easy as keeping another set of notes. And the simple fact is, I don't want to spend any more time "working" than I do now.

I guarantee that it is easier for you to ask me, than it is for me to dig back through invoices to find out what nobody buy a few guys on this board care about.

And I deal in so few restored books of any kind, I can pretty much name them right off the top of my head, and I always put an R in the price tag to note restoration.

Dale

:idea: P R

Seriously, pressing is NOT restoration. It is a different process, but calling pressing restoration is like calling water milk. The simple fact that you call it that doesn't make it so.

Drives me nuts when people who frequent the CGC boards basically ignore CGC's stance on pressing. They don't care. If you don't believe it, ask them. I have and they don't.

If you want to go to the CBCA board and post such drivel that is fine. The kool aid drinkers will lap it right up.

Sorry for going off on you guys, but I feel the post was inappropriate in a grown up conversation.

Dale,

First, I don't think Sha is calling pressing restoration. I interpret her post as your simply adding a "P" on your book notes in the same way you post an "R" for restored books.

Second, as others stated, the CBCA rarely even discusses pressing. In fact, the topic was only recently brought up over there as a carry over from the discussion here--and nowhere near the extent that it continues to go on here. I'm totally fine with pressing as are other members who are actively involved in the organization. I'm fine with comparisons and analogies... providing they're accurate. You'd certainly dislike my painting all dealers with a broad brushstroke as I'm sure you'd not want others to place you in the company of some dealers.

Third, I'm kind of disappointed. I haven't been a customer of yours but I've always looked through your sales threads as you seem to uncover quite a bit of different stuff. Heck! Your booth was the first I hit at NY this year. But there is something that bothers me about someone who consciously holds back information from a potential buyer--regardless of whether they ask or not. I completely understand that it takes more time to keep track of add'l info, and more often than not, that info is just not available. As buyers, we can really only ask so much from sellers--full-time or part-time.

And up to this point, I've really only heard positive things about you... but to hear from your own mouth (relatively speaking) that you won't actively disclose information about a book when you may know about it? It just doesn't strike me as completely honest and forthright. It's goes along with what my old battalion commander used to tell us all the time, "Do the hard right versus the easy wrong." While it takes more work to keep track of additional details, I think it speaks volumes about that person. And while I thoroughly respect the belief that pressing isn't wrong (because, again, I also espouse this mindset), that doesn't mean others aren't or wouldn't be bothered by it and wouldn't want to know (because let's face, we all forget to ask some questions about some books we've purchased).

I understand that my opinion doesn't really matter in the long since I've not been a purchasing customer from you up to this point and am but one member of the boards (amongst MANY). And please don't think I'm painting you as a "bad guy" or anything along those lines as I am not. I just think it would be an opportunity to take the higher road in taking care of customers.

2c

Then you think every major dealer is dishonest???? Because no one, and I mean NO one does it. At least no one I know of.

As I have stated through all of this, I am 100% in favor of disclosure. I just choose to go about it in a different way than you do.