• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do We Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure In The Marketplace?

How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure

513 posts in this topic

OK, we're done with the question of whether we want it...the results are unarguable...so the question is...by what method do we achieve it?

As this is entirely community-centric, the only democratic way to take this forward is to run another poll. There are four significantly different choices that I've been able to come up with and I want people to choose two of them...your ideal scenario, and one that you would accept.

They are...

(1) Request that Arch includes pro-active disclosure in the Marketplace rules with the standard actions/sanctions being the consequence of non-adherence.

(2) No inclusion in the rules, but the acceptance of one post being allowed per sales thread, requesting pro-active disclosure. The precise content can be worked out, but something civil and mannerly, along the lines of 'Nice bunch of books! You may be aware that the community here is in favour of pro-active disclosure of pressing and with this in mind, could you identify which books you know have been pressed? Thanks!'

(3) The maintenance of a 'Disclosers' list, highlighting those sellers who actively disclose in all of their sales thread.

(4) The maintenance of a 'Non-Disclosers' list, highlighting those sellers who make no effort to pro-actively disclose in their sales thread.

I voted these two

(2) No inclusion in the rules, but the acceptance of one post being allowed per sales thread, requesting pro-active disclosure. The precise content can be worked out, but something civil and mannerly, along the lines of 'Nice bunch of books! You may be aware that the community here is in favour of pro-active disclosure of pressing and with this in mind, could you identify which books you know have been pressed? Thanks!'

(3) The maintenance of a 'Disclosers' list, highlighting those sellers who actively disclose in all of their sales thread.

I voted these two

+1

Should you do this you are now restricting the sales threads to those who press and actively disclose and those who do not press and can vouch for the book.

What happens to those who do not press and do not know if a book is pressed? What do they disclose? Are they now suspect simply because they do not have an answer?

We all saw what happened to Steve B's sales thread when he said the books "may or may not have been pressed".

Should you do this you are now restricting the sales threads to those who press and actively disclose and those who do not press and can vouch for the book.

What happens to those who do not press and do not know if a book is pressed? What do they disclose? Are they now suspect simply because they do not have an answer?

We all saw what happened to Steve B's sales thread when he said the books "may or may not have been pressed".

If you know, you say.

If you don't know, you say you don't know.

It is acceptable to say that you have no idea. I normally tell people where I got it from, if I remember. That helps people figure out the likelihood that it may have already been all that it can be.

(4) The maintenance of a 'Non-Disclosers' list, highlighting those sellers who make no effort to pro-actively disclose in their sales thread.

That's a very NOD-like concept.

Yeah, probably is.

However, I wanted to give a spectrum of choices, from the soft approach (List Of Pro-Active Disclosers) to the hard line (inclusion in board rules).

I haven't voted yet, but why couldn't a caveat be dropped into the Usage Guidelines, not as a "rule" but as a community standard.? (shrug) Maybe like so:

MARKETPLACE USAGE GUIDELINES

Read the marketplace guidelines before posting

You can find them in this post. Note that threads that do not follow the guidelines may be removed. And that's just if we're in a good mood. ;)

Please note: Proactive disclosure is a marketplace community standard. Consider your buyer's have asked for full disclosure by shopping here.

We do not monitor buys and sells. Please check out your buyer or seller before you commit to a transaction. Disputes and issues are not the responsibility of the board hosts, you are transacting at your own risk.

A probation list for bad transactions is maintained by the community. You are still responsible for your own transactions.

Good point Shooty (thumbs u

I honestly could care less if a book has been pressed, and accordingly never ask. Therefore, I have no idea if any books in my collection are pressed or not (I would assume some had to be on base rate alone). Are you saying that proactive disclosure can include the simple disclaimer...

"This is an area that I have very limited information in. I have not pressed any books and am not aware of whether any were pressed prior to entering my collection."

I honestly could care less if a book has been pressed, and accordingly never ask. Therefore, I have no idea if any books in my collection are pressed or not (I would assume some had to be on base rate alone). Are you saying that proactive disclosure can include the simple disclaimer...

"This is an area that I have very limited information in. I have not pressed any books and am not aware of whether any were pressed prior to entering my collection."

I think that works perfectly.

If that's the truth?

That's perfectly acceptable and should not bring anybody a second of disquiet. (thumbs u

If you know, you say.

Ok....so I don't know. Suspicion is now levied against me for simply not knowing. The question of pressing has been deliberately inserted into my sales thread. This is completely aside from the fact that I am innocent in all ways since I truly have no idea if the book has been pressed. I am now guilty from merely having the term associated with the books in my thread. Its a level of suspicion that is not warranted except to appease those who feel pressing is restoration.

I have always said I dont believe pressing is restoration nor do I care about pressing.

Its a backhanded way to push the anti presser agenda in the marketplace.

You guys do what you want to do but I have a bad feeling about this.

I wish pressing didn't exist, but it does and I live with it. When buying, sometimes I ask, sometimes I don't. I occasionally have sold books on the boards. I have never had anything pressed. Although implementing marketplace standards of disclosure would not affect potential sales for me, I still feel like this is being rammed down my throat. The overall sense I have is "guilty until proven innocent."

If you know, you say.

Ok....so I don't know. Suspicion is now levied against me for simply not knowing. The question of pressing has been deliberately inserted into my sales thread. This is completely aside from the fact that I am innocent in all ways since I truly have no idea if the book has been pressed. I am now guilty from merely having the term associated with the books in my thread. Its a level of suspicion that is not warranted except to appease those who feel pressing is restoration.

I have always said I dont believe pressing is restoration nor do I care about pressing.

All anyone can do is comment on books they know to have been Pressed. Score one for Roy.

If you know, you say.

Exactly.

I voted for options 2 and 3... but to be fair here to those that oppose pro-active disclosure, there really should be a fifth option that says "Don't change anything."

That would receive the highest number of votes, as the entire anti-disclosure 'camp' would vote for that, whereas the pro-disclosure camp would be spilt over four choices.

I think that works perfectly.

Cool beans :whee:

Easy enough for me!