• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggested Template for Marketplace Information Regarding Condition

Template  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Template

203 posts in this topic

I think sellers should list as much information as they think is required, which will also help them make a sale.

If there is information missing that a prospective buyer would like to know then they can ask, either in the thread or by PM.

Hopefully honest answers will follow.

Pretty sure that for most sellers this is what already happens.

For me it's a sliding scale: the lower the dollar value the book, the less detailed the info needs to be for the most part.

I personally don't expect anyone to spend a serious amount of time listing defects on a $1or $5 reader copy of a common modern (or in my own personal experience as a buyer even a low grade $50-100 GA book) , but I would expect it on a $100 or $500 SA or GA books that are in higher, more collectible grade.

Then there are some buyers who are extremely picky (and they have every right to be), but because they fall outsides of the "norm" (in a good way) there are going to be snags....like missing out on a book while they PM somebody with a list of questions.

Again, it's all going to come down to personal judgment on how a selling thread is going to be handled by a particular seller.

As was mentioned by taxguy, the seller that "catches on" and gives buyers what they want is the seller that will prosper.

I agree (thumbs u

Fun and the CGC Boards are really moving in opposite directions.

Very true. It's a major killjoy now, which is why I post in general about once a week at this point. Seems like there are quite a few regular posters on these boards that have become seriously detached from the point of the hobby, which is to have fun. Then again, I could be wrong. (shrug)

JoeyPost made the first suggestion and Jeffro had a great idea about tweaking it...but here is a

possible template that sellers could use for the marketplace.

My suggestion would be that the options for pressed would be Yes, No or ?

I'm hoping for some more suggestions, feedback..etc, because I think disclosure of information is helpful for our community and I hope we can go forward with Nick's polls in a positive manner.

This would be a SUGGESTED template, no jail time involved if you don't use it, but if enough people have a positive reaction, perhaps we could ask if it would not be too much trouble to add it to the rules.

Pressed:

Page Quality:

Date Stamps:

Distributor Ink:

Grade:

Price:

Restored:

Complete:

Rusty Staples:

Square?

Bold and Glossy Inks?

Stench?

Pressed?

Smooth?

Sharp?

Page Quality?

Date Stamps?

Staple Placement?

Cut?

Centered?

# of Pages?

Distributor Ink?

Grade?

Stains (Blood)?

Price?

Vivid/Bright?

Stature?

Restored?

Complete?

Rusty Staples?

Also I would need to know:

Paid Price?

Profit Margin?

Where did you get the book?

Did you read the book in the bathroom?

and

What kind of Crack do you smoke?

Well, I was hoping kinda sorta for an adult discussion, lol. I guess that was optimistic.

A return policy is a wonderful idea, but you are going to have people who will fight you to the death on that, if it's a CGC book.

. If you chose not to have details, it's fine.

I know that there are many people on here who press books and do not want to get into disclosure because they are concerned it will affect their bottom line, it's really their choice as well. I can understand where a new policy might concern those people. Again, this is a voluntary proposal. I'm sure there are tons of people who don't care except for the fact that if the book has not been pressed, they'd buy it to press it.

We really are a mixture here, and that's the reason I asked for suggestions. Some are good...some are ...ummm...not so good, lol.

I don't do this for a living, so it's easier for me and I understand how much work IS involved. I type fairly quickly, so it's another advantage.

I hope that people continue to think and make positive suggestions.

The bathroom thing was cute a few years ago...:baiting: unless you can admit you are a Seinfeld fan;)

Very true. It's a major killjoy now, which is why I post in general about once a week at this point. Seems like there are quite a few regular posters on these boards that have become seriously detached from the point of the hobby, which is to have fun. Then again, I could be wrong. (shrug)

No, you're not. It's quickly approaching more-trouble-than-it's-worth status. Which is a shame. I've met a handful of people who will now be lifelong friends and I hate to see someone else miss out on an opportunity such as that if a situation such as this happens to be their first exposure to the boards.

No, you're not. It's quickly approaching more-trouble-than-it's-worth status. Which is a shame. I've met a handful of people who will now be lifelong friends and I hate to see someone else miss out on an opportunity such as that if a situation such as this happens to be their first exposure to the boards.

I don't want to be one of the crotchety old salts who bemoans the current state of the boards, but almost all of the threads on the first page are devoted to restoration, pressing, scams and happy birthday announcements. Reading that stuff isn't particularly fun. At all.

I get enough bittching, harping on rules, mudslinging and venom at work (where it's actually justified at least some of the time), but now I have to hear it in my hobby too? Well, actually I don't have to, since nobody is forcing me to read these threads, which is fine because I participate less and less every week. That doesn't make it any less of a shame though.

No you are 100% right.

OK - serious question to those who think threads like this are taking the fun out of the boards.

Is it because of the topic? I know many long time members will say that this topic has been debated/discussed/argued ad nauseam in the past (which I'm sure it has) but for many, including me, I still get new info from stuff like this.

Is it because of the manner in which it is discussed - you know the name- calling, the veiled aggression, etc - and I mean that that comes from both sides of the coin.

How many times has Sharron, who we all know is the nicest person on here, had to take cheap jibes and sarcasm just for doing something that was important/interesting to her?

This isn't a dig at anybody - I'm just curious as to why it's such a drag to some.

If you'd rather post pics of semi-clad attractive women I'm good with that as well (thumbs u

I know many long time members will say that this topic has been debated/discussed/argued ad nauseam in the past (which I'm sure it has) but for many, including me, I still get new info from stuff like this.

Great. I would love to see a sub-forum where people can feel free to argue about this particular topic until judgement day, likely without ever coming to a resolution. If that's your thing, more power to you. That way Comics General can go back to being about, you know, actual COMICS, as opposed to the pressing of them.

OK - serious question to those who think threads like this are taking the fun out of the boards.

Is it because of the topic? I know many long time members will say that this topic has been debated/discussed/argued ad nauseam in the past (which I'm sure it has) but for many, including me, I still get new info from stuff like this.

Is it because of the manner in which it is discussed - you know the name- calling, the veiled aggression, etc - and I mean that that comes from both sides of the coin.

How many times has Sharron, who we all know is the nicest person on here, had to take cheap jibes and sarcasm just for doing something that was important/interesting to her?

This isn't a dig at anybody - I'm just curious as to why it's such a drag to some.

If you'd rather post pics of semi-clad attractive women I'm good with that as well (thumbs u

I don't know that I'm so nice...I can be tough...I just chose not to here :whistle: ....but actually, I didn't post the thread because it was interesting to me...I posted it because people were fighting, I figured it was a passionate topic and I thought perhaps I could keep people a little calmer.

I've seen posters come and go, kvetch and not kvetch (look it up;) but I do see this place as a community.

I have NO trouble selling on the boards or on eBay. I don't collect high grade books, so it's not the biggest issue for me...

Sometimes I wonder if the people who complain the most, just have another agenda.

In any case, I learn things from people here every day, I'm sure there are people a lot smarter than I am, but I'll continue to listen to other ideas.

I'm really not bothered personally by any of the complaints...however, if you decide to post pictures of naked women, I insist you also add pictures of attractive at least partially naked men;) j:baiting:

I know many long time members will say that this topic has been debated/discussed/argued ad nauseam in the past (which I'm sure it has) but for many, including me, I still get new info from stuff like this.

Great. I would love to see a sub-forum where people can feel free to argue about this particular topic until judgement day, likely without ever coming to a resolution. If that's your thing, more power to you. That way Comics General can go back to being about, you know, actual COMICS, as opposed to the pressing of them.

There are plenty of threads that I'm not interested in - I just ignore them.

I don't know that I'm so nice...I can be tough...I just chose not to here :whistle: ....but actually, I didn't post the thread because it was interesting to me...I posted it because people were fighting, I figured it was a passionate topic and I thought perhaps I could keep people a little calmer.

I've seen posters come and go, kvetch and not kvetch (look it up;) but I do see this place as a community.

I have NO trouble selling on the boards or on eBay. I don't collect high grade books, so it's not the biggest issue for me...

Sometimes I wonder if the people who complain the most, just have another agenda.

In any case, I learn things from people here every day, I'm sure there are people a lot smarter than I am, but I'll continue to listen to other ideas.

I'm really not bothered personally by any of the complaints...however, if you decide to post pictures of naked women, I insist you also add pictures of attractive at least partially naked men;) j:baiting:

That would be my belief.

And you can post your own pictures of naked men.

One of the problems is that the subject is very polarizing so just ignoring the thread doesn't mean the mood of the entire forum doesn't change.

One of the problems is that the subject is very polarizing so just ignoring the thread doesn't mean the mood of the entire forum doesn't change.

Which means that people, me included, need to keep cool heads and think before they post.

We may not be the community that Nick wants or thinks we are but it doesn't hurt to be civilized.

That would be my belief.

Would that be the thread starters, then?

:insane:

Oh please. This topic crops up everywhere, no just in dedicated threads.

We may not be the community that Nick wants or thinks we are but it doesn't hurt to be civilized.

I'm pretty sure every post I read was civil, but it still polarized people.

(shrug)

There is a difference between civility and mood.

I can be civil in court but still be emotional about it, and it's the emotional side of it that people are in disdain about.

There are plenty of threads board members that I'm not interested in - I just ignore them.

:whistle:

There are plenty of threads board members that I'm not interested in - I just ignore them.

:whistle:

:tonofbricks:

That would be my belief.

Would that be the thread starters, then?

:insane:

And my agenda is?

I have never pressed a book on my own. I've had maybe 7 or 8 books pressed lifetime. I sold 3 of them, I noted the pressing when I sold them. All of them had very bad damage before they were pressed.

I personally consider pressing restoration. I don't dislike people who don't, I still admire a number of them.

I don't hate restoration. I will buy a pressed book if I chose to.

I have NEVER pressed a book and sold it without stating it was pressed right up front.

How many of the people who voted against disclosure can say that, no matter what their rationalization is?

I am not a dealer...although I have sold books, I buy a lot more.

Again, Roy....what is my agenda?

I thought this might be a peaceful solution....I guess I rattled some cages, but that was not really my intention.

Oh please. This topic crops up everywhere, no just in dedicated threads.

Oh please what - why is it such a big deal to ignore something or not post in it?

I find it ironic that plenty of people are complaining about the notion of 'forcing' sellers to disclose and then go on about not having anymore pressing threads.