• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Go to an auction, meet board members.

30 posts in this topic

So I spent my Saturday at a comic auction (see listing here: http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=927574&kwd=comic&zip=17112&category=0 )

Quickly discovered that most of the books I was interested in were going for a lot more than I was willing to pay. I was able to get a few books that I wanted (see below) but the cool part was meeting FlyingDonut and Skypinkblu. Of course I didn't know who they were until it was time to pay and the show was over, but it was still fun to talk to them in the limited time that we had.

As for my purchases, here are a few books I picked up:

SAVE0034.jpg

SAVE0027.jpg

SAVE0026.jpg

SAVE0023.jpg

Nice pickups! I was eyeing that auction but it was over 5 hours from my house. There were a lot of nice comics listed. Where there a lot of people at the auction? What did the Venus go for? Any surprises on how high some of the comics went? I thought it might be a nice deal for some since you couldn't do phone or internet bidding.

Yeah it was a easy drive for me being only an hour a way (with the added benefit of using a check :grin: )

I feel the books I got were at a good price (The Marvel Comics being the only one that is borderline). For example the Atomic War I got for $40.00 and the B&B 23 was $65.00. But that was not the norm. I'm not sure what you were looking at but I can give a few examples:

Captain Science # 5, 6, 7 and another number not sure what it was I don't have it on my list. I graded 6 and 7 as G- and 5 as fair (I think the cover was detached) and it sold for $400.00.

Eerie #1 VG Sold for $525.00.

Web of Evil #5 and #17. Both VG sold for $210.00.

Tales From the Crypt # 32 and 42. F. $370.00

Weird Science # 15 (the second 15) and 17. I have as G/VG. Sold for $210.00.

Katy Keene #1 incomplete $95.00.

Earth Man on Venus G sold for $300.00.

There were some good deals, a first appearance of Uncle Scrooge in Fine sold for $410. Also a More Fun 101 sold for $1,300.00. I tried to get that one, but it just got to expensive. If you like westerns you could have gotten some pretty cheap.

As for the Venus, you will have to talk to Skypinkblu, I believe she got that book.

Nice meeting you, Erich!

I'll post a few pictures when I get home. Some of the prices were insane. Dan got some nice Archies, but there were 3 people bidding EVERYTHING up, and I believe the Eerie that went for so much was not the real first one, but the 1951 issue.

I was pretty surprised about many of the prices. Even Westerns were going for guide. Someone bought the Terrytoons #38 (first Mighty Mouse), that was missing half the book, for about good guide.

Oh and I think I have the centerfold the Katy Keene 1 was missing, it was in the junk box I bought.

I did get the Venus, I figured after driving 5 hours, I was coming home with it;) but I don't think it was exactly a bargain. My husband offered to finance my bids as a birthday present, so I said, OK:)

It seems like a recurring theme that at these auctions, the books end up being bid up beyond being a bargain. The same was said / documented by Shark and Flatrock at an auction over the summer.

Who are the people bidding so high on these comics?

I'll scan my books tomorrow. It was a nice day, and the auction was fun, but the prices were stratospheric. There was one guy who was buying everything, and I have no idea what he was doing - he spent huge piles of cash on books that were missing pages, etc. etc. etc. I bought Superman 32, Archies Pals and Gals 1 and 2, Jughead Annual 1 and 3, Betty and Veronica Annual 1, 2, and 4, Action 161, 173, and 181, Millie the Model 42, Archie's Pals N Gal 9, a bunch of early Archies, and a big pile of coverless books.

Nice drive up there, about 3 hours. Did notice that north-central Pennsylvania has an astounding number of strip clubs and "adult" emporiums. I guess there's not much else to do up there.

It takes 2 for the bidding or more...for example, there was a coverless lot with a complete lowgrade Betty and Veronica #1 in there...about $245 in good. The lot was bid up over $800.00. It was scary. I was prepared to spend some money, but I didn't want to toss it out the window.

Those Captain Science books were kind of raggedy, except for 1 VG.

That is the second auction that I have been to that has had prices just pushed up. Not sure why, my only guess is people are looking for places to park their money (i.e. gold). Also I think people get into the "I can't let him win" mode. What ever the reason it stinks. I've had better luck with craig's list.

A newspaper in that area covers the auction. Does indeed sound like a pretty strong auction for what was there.

Auction of comic books nets $45,000

It may not have gone faster than a speeding bullet, but it leapt in a single bound - to $1,300.

Two dueling bidders inched one 1945 "Fun" comic book up, up and up at Tim Kline's auction in Richfield on Saturday.

The reasons? The relatively obscure comic includes the first appearance of Superboy.

It went to a man from Pittsburgh when the lofty price hit his Massachusetts competitor like a ray of kryptonite.

Someone wasn't paying attention, I was the "other guy" in the More Fun 101 bid war, and I am not from Massachusetts.

Massachusetts, Harrisburg, they;re sort of the same. You had enough Phillies stuff on, I'm surprised they didn't think you were from Philly.

Hey man got to support the team.

We need to win tonight! :wishluck:

I was the "woman" from NY, I did say that, but I told the guy I was joking;) Kind of ...

That was the estimate I had overall ...about $45k, but I thought the guy from Ohio (who was an eBay seller) bought even more.

I think people didn't do their homework. I looked up the Eerie before I went on the GCD, and as far as I could tell it was the later #1, books missing pages went as if they were whole. There was one coverless box the Ohio guy (and Andrew's friend) bid on that went over $800, and as I said, the book inside was $245 in good and it was in that box, because it was not quite good.

Andrew's friend was very nice, I recognized the accent right away.

I did get complete Katy Keene #3, and #5's in my coverless box along with some other books, but I didn't bid $100 on it.

All in all, it was a lovely weekend, I got to meet Erich:) Saw Dan again and I got a wonderful birthday trip from my husband. Of course some other women might have appreciated jewelry more, but I thought this was a lot more fun:)

I'll post some pictures in the morning...oh, and the Venus was a few $$ less than the one that sold on Heritage (but very close) last week and maybe a 1/2 grade nicer.

The only auction I ever attended sounded a lot like what you're all describing. Absolutely ridiculous prices. Ever since that experience, I tend to steer far away from them. I'd say they are fun to attend to take in the atmosphere, but if I appear at one, chances are I'll go home empty pocketed.