• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best covers of 1950's DC comics.

182 posts in this topic

Here is one of my favorites. Gil Kane pencils with an Adler washtone, how can you beat that? The cardgame against the alien alone would make for a killer cover, but the weirdo machinery in the background puts it over the top.

Harder than hell to find in decent shape as well.

sa80-1.jpg

+1

The HOM 53 is one of the better ones INO.

BTW where are these classics?

Strange Adventures 21 (monster fishing man) 79 (snowmen) 85 (praying mantis riders) 110 (hand after car, greytone)

You'd really have to put all these into a 64 cover bracket, if not sweet 16.

Ed

When it comes to war covers, the greytones always seem to get all the attention. But there are so many amazing covers from the 1955-59 period among the war books that aren't GTs. Here are a few of my faves....

Grandenetti. There are many of these 'close perspective' soldier/airmen covers, and this is a wonderful example.

gic45.jpg

And finally, my favorite DC war cover from this era... and perhaps my favorite of all time. Grandenetti again, and perfect in every single way.

gic550001.jpg

Outstanding (thumbs u

The list of great Grandenetti war covers is very long.

aamow34.jpg

A nice Kubert...

off29.jpg

I love when the logo is incorporated into the composition of the cover. DC used this in a gimmicky way on a few occasions in the '40s. But not so much in the 50s. It is one of the reasons I love this cover so much...

showcase11.jpg

When it comes to war covers, the greytones always seem to get all the attention. [/img]

And for good reason, Shep. The washtones are amongst the most compelling covers DC (or any company) EVER made. Jack Adler, the DC coloring guru, is generally considered the genius behind the washtone/greytone beast

. . .and then there was November 1959. There are no less than 8 washtones from that same month. Only 2 of them are from the war comics genre, too.

November 1959 is the best month of the best decade of DC comics covers :cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

asw109-1.jpg

gic78.jpg

tou43.jpg

mis55.jpg

sh59.jpg

hom92.jpg

sa110.jpg

and Adler managed to squeak one more by with a Nov./Dec. cover date before DC called the paddy wagon on him.

tomahawk65.jpg

It was a thrill to see this in person at SD Con! :cloud9:

I love when the logo is incorporated into the composition of the cover. DC used this in a gimmicky way on a few occasions in the '40s. But not so much in the 50s. It is one of the reasons I love this cover so much...

showcase11.jpg

When it comes to war covers, the greytones always seem to get all the attention. But there are so many amazing covers from the 1955-59 period among the war books that aren't GTs. Here are a few of my faves....

Grandenetti. There are many of these 'close perspective' soldier/airmen covers, and this is a wonderful example.

gic45.jpg

Grandenetti drew a number of great ones on this theme. This is one of my favorites.

AAMOW33.jpg

showcase11.jpg

that is a DAMN incredible book! Geez, white pages even!