• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best covers of 1950's DC comics.

182 posts in this topic

Here is one of my favorites. Gil Kane pencils with an Adler washtone, how can you beat that? The cardgame against the alien alone would make for a killer cover, but the weirdo machinery in the background puts it over the top.

Harder than hell to find in decent shape as well.

sa80-1.jpg

+1

Yep, this should be on the list.

66) AAMOW #23. 7/55. Jerry Grandenetti.

First war cover on this list. As the decade progress. the war covers, along with the horror-mystery titles, will be some of DC's better efforts. By decades end, most of the super hero comics covers in DC's line up were atbout average at best, with most of them below average efforts. Not to mention the stories, by and large. Again, they were generally more intelligent and engaging in the war and mystery, sci-fi titles. But it's no wonder Marvel over took them in sales by the early 70's.

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/comic-details.php?comicid=2055

AAMOW 23 is cool but I prefer 24 a bit more. As Mr Bedrock and Bigfiver have there are loads of great Grandenetti covers!

AAMOW23.jpg

AAMOW24.jpg

66) AAMOW #23. 7/55. Jerry Grandenetti.

First war cover on this list. As the decade progress. the war covers, along with the horror-mystery titles, will be some of DC's better efforts. By decades end, most of the super hero comics covers in DC's line up were atbout average at best, with most of them below average efforts. Not to mention the stories, by and large. Again, they were generally more intelligent and engaging in the war and mystery, sci-fi titles. But it's no wonder Marvel over took them in sales by the early 70's.

http://www.dcindexes.com/database/comic-details.php?comicid=2055

AAMOW 23 is cool but I prefer 24 a bit more. As Mr Bedrock and Bigfiver have there are loads of great Grandenetti covers!

AAMOW23.jpg

AAMOW24.jpg

Aggggh! Those are nuclear-powered copies!!! I'd forgotten you'd had those, AdamStrange!

Man, the 50s were the bomb for covers.

One more Kubert wonderousness...

BB24compressed.jpg

You can never have too much Kubert wonderousness, John. Awesome copy, BTW. Kubert rocked on EVERY cover he made from the 50s. Not as consistent as he moved into the mid-late 60s. But man, the early 60s and before were too much to take!

Always loved Kane's wave covers. He did some really nice ones for mystery sci-fi genre, too, but here are the two I'm partial to. . .

asw102.jpg

Oh yes, this must be on a top 100 list! Probably top 10, actually.

Now if I could just find a copy...

I like the inclusion of SA 23 and SA 50 in the original from otherworldsj33. The SA 50 has no shortage of love but usually gets mis-identified because Gerber accidentally swapped the pics of SA 30 and SA 50 (I was very disappointed when I received a copy of SA30 that I had ordered through the mail :cry: ). The Infantino pencilled and inked cover story is to die for.The SA 23, on the other hand, gets little notice despite some nifty cover art from Anderson complemented by an eye-catching color scheme.

In place of SA 8, SA 51, SA 93, and SA 95 I would recommend SA 9 (outstanding introductory cover for Capt Comet) and SA 80. Hopefully, one of our boardies will post his copies. :wishluck:

SA23.jpg

SA 23 is definitely a classic. It's got so much going for it: rich colors, a caged damsel, cool aliens, all done in delicate Anderson lines.

I like the inclusion of SA 23 and SA 50 in the original from otherworldsj33. The SA 50 has no shortage of love but usually gets mis-identified because Gerber accidentally swapped the pics of SA 30 and SA 50 (I was very disappointed when I received a copy of SA30 that I had ordered through the mail :cry: ). The Infantino pencilled and inked cover story is to die for.The SA 23, on the other hand, gets little notice despite some nifty cover art from Anderson complemented by an eye-catching color scheme.

In place of SA 8, SA 51, SA 93, and SA 95 I would recommend SA 9 (outstanding introductory cover for Capt Comet) and SA 80. Hopefully, one of our boardies will post his copies. :wishluck:

SA23.jpg

SA 23 is definitely a classic. It's got so much going for it: rich colors, a caged damsel, cool aliens, all done in delicate Anderson lines.

Times Square Flatiron building in the background, film camera -- it's weird and intriguing at the same time.

SA23.jpg

Times Square Flatiron building in the background, film camera -- it's weird and intriguing at the same time.

The Flatiron building ain't in Times Square. It's about 20 blocks south of Times Square and a couple blocks to the east in the Flatiron District (named for the building). MADISON Square PARK is on the northern end of the Flatiron district. Speaking of squares, I'm sounding a bit like one to be quibbling. . .it's just that I'm savoring a rare moment in history when you gotta be fact-checked, AdamStrange! :sumo: