• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clean and Press Bother Anyone?

220 posts in this topic

Are you listening to yourself? I understand the implications of this pressing issue....but that doesn't mean I throw my principles out the window. To intentionally press a comic for the purpose of upgrading to receive more $$$ is dishonest, plain and simple.

Since I don't sell comics and have no plans to do so for quite a while, it's an option I freely throw out there to spark debate...I'm still not sure where I ultimately stand on the issue. I'm personally not seeing a major problem with it. Who cares? Doesn't sound terribly different from washing a car and pulling out the small dents before selling it.

I'm personally not seeing a major problem with it.

The morality in the case of pressing is kind of gray, but if some of the most respected EBay dealers can openly press their way to fame and fortune, then why not us? 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm personally not seeing a major problem with it.

The morality in the case of pressing is kind of gray, but if some of the most respected EBay dealers can openly press their way to fame and fortune, then why not us? 893applaud-thumb.gif

Because we care about the hobby?

Man, you must be more of a straight arrow than me.

Personally, I don't like the practice, but if we're moving into a world where CGC determines what is and what is not resto, then what's the big deal?

Personally, I don't like the practice, but if we're moving into a world where CGC determines what is and what is not resto, then what's the big deal?

You've kind of hinted at it in previous threads, as well as this one. The long term effects of cleaning and pressing have not been established, plus everything hinges, as you mentioned, on CGC remaining the arbiters of this (crucial) part of the hobby. If they fall out of favour or fashion, what then?

I find it deceiving, and yet another example of the greed that has taken over the comic industry.

These fake 9.4/9.6s will be the death of CGC.

The long term effects of cleaning and pressing have not been established, plus everything hinges, as you mentioned, on CGC remaining the arbiters of this (crucial) part of the hobby. If they fall out of favour or fashion, what then?

Make sure you sell them before that happens? confused-smiley-013.gif

Incorrect, they will be the death of those who speculated on them. CGC will continue on their merry way, regardless of who got left holding their hot potatoes.

The long term effects of cleaning and pressing have not been established, plus everything hinges, as you mentioned, on CGC remaining the arbiters of this (crucial) part of the hobby. If they fall out of favour or fashion, what then?

Make sure you sell them before that happens? confused-smiley-013.gif

It is exactly this idea of a timeframe that worries me. With the way things are going.... all slabbed books are becoming "Hot Potatoes".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure you sell them before that happens?

If CGC ever fell out of favor (and I don't think that will happen anytime soon), maybe we can get back to NM- books selling for 10-20% less than a NM book, instead of 50% (or more) because of the premium associated with a CGC NM (9.4).

On a lighter note, anyone remember that CGC Iron Man 55 that looked like it had been run over by a steam roller? Flat as a pancake babeeee!

Calling up that image still brings a smile to my face. grin.gif

If CGC ever fell out of favor (and I don't think that will happen anytime soon), maybe we can get back to NM- books selling for 10-20% less than a NM book, instead of 50% (or more) because of the premium associated with a CGC NM (9.4).

Hey, I don't mind the premium at all, but I am starting to get paranoid about all these "clean and press" artists on EBay, and the thought that my CGC books will start "reverting to shape" in a few years.

That's why I started this thread, as I'm seeing far too many VF stained books going in, and CGC NM clean copies coming out. That Press Operator and his Cleaning Gal must be putting in some serious overtime. 893frustrated.gif

I find it deceiving, and yet another example of the greed that has taken over the comic industry.

The same thing happened in coins, yet that hobby didn't die. One of the main differences between NGC and NCS, which are both coin grading companies owned by the same parent company as CGC, is that NCS slabs poorly-cleaned coins and NGC slabs well-cleaned coins. I could be wrong about this, but I believe NCS will even clean coins which can then be submitted to NGC for whatever the coin equivalent of a "universal" label is.

I can't believe you guys are even talking about this.

I've lost a ton of respect for you guys in one thread.

Go...clean and press your books.

In a few years, when comic collecting is completely ruined, I hope you're happy.

Wave a few $$ in some people's face and they line up like lemmings to jump off the bridge.

I guess morals don't mean anything anymore.

I'm sad to think that I'm even making a post in this thread.

sorry.gif