• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green River pedigree info

24 posts in this topic

For the lazy among us.... 27_laughing.gif

The Green River Collection

Updated: October 27, 2003

Named after the grisly murders of some 49 women in the Pacific Northwest between 1982 and 1984, this pedigree has a bizarre yet fascinating history. While a man named Gary Ridgeway has now been charged with four of the murders, the owner of this collection, William J. Stevens II, was the main suspect. Even though he was eventually cleared of all involvement by the police, his involvement in the serial murder case would lead to his collection surfacing as he used it to pay for his legal fees. Mr. Stevens died from cancer in 1991.

To this day, Mr. Steven's brother, Bill, maintains that his brother was responsible for some of the Green River murders.

The collection of suspected Green River Killer, William J. Stevens II, comprises some 1600+ Silver Age comic books from Marvel and DC Comics. According to John Hauser, the original buyer of the Green River collection, Mr. Stevens' father owned the biggest drugstore in Spokane, Washington. Mr. Stevens and his brother would take home unread copies of Marvel and DC comic books, sometimes taking home multiple copies of certain issues.

Books from the Green River collection vary from low-midgrade to super high grade NM+ with most in beautiful condition with glossy covers. Most of the major Marvel and DC titles are represented in continuous runs including Amazing Spider-man #1, Avengers #1, Daredevil #1, and X-men #1. While most of the books have a red or purple date stamp, some do not.

soooo....the books were never owned by a serial killer....just a bad dude.

Hard to say, and we'll probably never know since the guy has been dead for a decade or so. The guy's brother, who owned half the collection, is convinced his brother assisted with the killings. He's got a web page about it: http://www.greenriverkiller.com/

Yeah, but I think the brother had what Joe C. would call, an agenda. He might have been an accomplice though. Sckao is the local GR expert around here. His pdf of the entire collection is a great piece of work.

Yeah, but I think the brother had what Joe C. would call, an agenda. He might have been an accomplice though. Sckao is the local GR expert around here. His pdf of the entire collection is a great piece of work.

Well the Uni-Bomber brother got it right... confused-smiley-013.gif

Notoriety, and the fact that he's obviously pissed at his brother for some reason. I mean, turns out he was dead wrong. And even if he suspected his sibling, isn't it a bit weird to go and create a website casting aspersion against him 10 years after he was dead. I just felt there was always a whole lot more to this story. I'd love to interview the brother. By telephone.

Curiouser and curiouser.

If you read the site, you'll find that he started casting aspersions against his brother when he was still alive; there's an answering machine recording there of his brother telling him what a snake he is for back-stabbing his own kin by talking to cops after the charges were dropped. I haven't really seen anything to indicate that he was "dead wrong" other than the obvious fact that police dropped all charges back when they originally investigated.

FF, I can NOT find a link to a taped phone message. Can you help out? I hadn't seen the site in a while.....there is no place where the brother identifies himself, either. Am I missing something here?

Red

Oh crud, he's revamped the site over the last few months. When I just reexamined it, I wondered if I had found the wrong one, but I remember the name at the bottom of the "contact" page, "snevets", which is "Stevens" spelled backwards. Before he changed the site he had text there noting the backwards spelling of his own name. Looks like he took a bunch of the content and his personal info offline.

No, I do remember noting that originally he did identify himself as the brother. That's why I was confused. I still think there is something a bit off here. I wanna' know his motivation. Is it simple altruism? confused-smiley-013.gif

No, I do remember noting that originally he did identify himself as the brother. That's why I was confused. I still think there is something a bit off here. I wanna' know his motivation. Is it simple altruism? confused-smiley-013.gif

He went into a bit of detail in his previous site content. He says that he knows for a fact the alibi his brother told the police was inaccurate. Stevens claimed he was out of the state travelling with his parents for an extended period of time, which was true, EXCEPT that the brother says he kept going back to the Green River area for weeks at a time during the period they were travelling, and that many of the killings occurred during those return trips. The cops couldn't find evidence to break the alibi, and the parents didn't rat on their son, but the brother says it disturbed the entire family.

If I thought my brother was a serial killer, I'm not sure I could remain silent for him, either. I'd probably want him as far away from me as possible. His previous site content said he was writing a book on this whole thing; I didn't see anything on the new site about it.

Right-click, save target as, and explicitly open it up in the Windows Media Player...you're not on one of those "they USED to be so chic for graphic designers!" Macintosh computers, are ya? 893naughty-thumb.gif

This file is a message he left on his ex-girlfriend's answering machine. He had a tape of this in his possession that they found after he died.

I was cleaning up my MusicMatch MP3 files and came across the message William Stevens left on his brother's answering machine...I didn't even realize Internet Explorer saved files to your "My Documents/My Music/From Internet" folder you listened to thru the web until just now. Anyway, below is a link to the audio clip...I guess it's somewhat interesting to hear from the late original owner (and accused serial killer) of the Green River collection.

William Stevens' angry phone message to his brother after finding out how his brother was investigating his crimes after being acquitted by the police