• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital just isn't the same

48 posts in this topic

Wanker.

Never be ashamed of what you are.

I've never considred that an insult :whistle:

I suppose if you hear something from a very early age and then repeated everyday after that it becomes the norm :baiting:

No, I just am one. Literally :grin:

Can't refute the truth!

I can't believe someone I consider a friend just admitted to masturbating by posting it on a public chat board.

I know, I know. But someone here has to raise the bar at some point.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all night.

Wanker.

I suppose if you hear something from a very early age and then repeated everyday after that it becomes the norm :baiting:

Can't refute the truth!

I can't believe someone I consider a friend just admitted to masturbating by posting it on a public chat board.

Just you going to the bar would be a plus.

:eyeroll:

Wanker.

Can't refute the truth!

Well, that goes without saying. :whistle:

Wanker.

Can't refute the truth!

That's not what she said. :gossip:

Wanker.

Can't refute the truth!

That's not what she said. :gossip:

Mission accomplished :acclaim:

If there is anything that will keep our hobby alive with kids then I am all for it. In some ways the old method of printing comics on paper and ink is obsolete and too expensive. Most kids today can't afford a paper copy of a new comic. They are $3.99 and up.

Some digital copies of new comics are 99 cents or a little more. I personally am not a big fan of digital comics (especially on a phone). Although, the iPad displays the comic nicely and the features of reading them are cool too (double click to see the individual panels up close).

I don't think digital comics will ever become a collectable hobby or replace hard copies as collectables...but if it inspires kids to want to read comics and keep the industry alive with a new medium...I'm all for it.

The times are a changin...

Oh and there is nothing wrong with Rosey Palma visiting with her five friends every once in a while! lol

I do think that every aspect of the comics medium has its place in keeping comic book collecting in the public eye,from T.V.,movies,word of mouth,video games and yes even digital comics.Now I am probably going to hear it from the nay sayers and doom and gloom set,fire away boys. :baiting:

I do think that every aspect of the comics medium has its place in keeping comic book collecting in the public eye,from T.V.,movies,word of mouth,video games and yes even digital comics.Now I am probably going to hear it from the nay sayers and doom and gloom set,fire away boys. :baiting:

Agreed,Superman,Batman,Green Lantern and all the Marvel core heroes will always be around in some form, also I don`t really think its the price of the comic book as I have numerous times given free comics to my son and nephews without them even giving them a look and letting the comics sit there and collect dust, these same nephews will go spend $50 on videogames, like my son said why read about Spider-man or Batman when you can be them in a videogame? (thumbs u

A couple of things have to happen before digital comics can take off. First an affordable page-size full color reader needs to come to market. Small screens and high dollar pads aren't going to cut it.

Then a generation gets used to using the thing to routinely read full color comics and magazines. After that...

What rarely gets discussed is that many modern comics are created digitally, so going to print loses a bit in translation. Reading digitally-created comics on an appropriate size screen is probably more "as intended" by artists that a paper version. All the rendering and texture effects remain intact.

A couple of things have to happen before digital comics can take off. First an affordable page-size full color reader needs to come to market. Small screens and high dollar pads aren't going to cut it.

Then a generation gets used to using the thing to routinely read full color comics and magazines. After that...

What rarely gets discussed is that many modern comics are created digitally, so going to print loses a bit in translation. Reading digitally-created comics on an appropriate size screen is probably more "as intended" by artists that a paper version. All the rendering and texture effects remain intact.

Great point and it does look great on a Ipad! Once Ipads and thier upcoming pc copycats eventually go down in price and more people have access to this technology,the digital comics will take off with the younger generation,it also should happen in the next few years, heck I remember how the Kindle was expensive just two years ago and now you can get it for $139.

Great point and it does look great on a Ipad! Once Ipads and thier upcoming pc copycats eventually go down in price and more people have access to this technology,the digital comics will take off with the younger generation,it also should happen in the next few years, heck I remember how the Kindle was expensive just two years ago and now you can get it for $139.

That may be true so I will reserve judgement on the modern comics. I focus mostly on silver-age books, I think that digital will only serve as a last resort substitute when I dont have readers to put my hands on. For me, the "look and feel" of the paper pages cannot be replaced.

Once Ipads and thier upcoming pc copycats eventually go down in price and more people have access to this technology,the digital comics will take off with the younger generation

Why? Digital comics aren't cheap, I was going to keep up with some titles I'd dropped through my iPhone, but once I saw the price I didn't bother. If you think kids who don't already spend money on floppies are going to spend $2 a shot on something that will last them five minutes to read you're wrong. I don't see how anybody thinks this digital format is going to get more kids into comics, they either like them already or they don't.

Once Ipads and thier upcoming pc copycats eventually go down in price and more people have access to this technology,the digital comics will take off with the younger generation

Why? Digital comics aren't cheap, I was going to keep up with some titles I'd dropped through my iPhone, but once I saw the price I didn't bother. If you think kids who don't already spend money on floppies are going to spend $2 a shot on something that will last them five minutes to read you're wrong. I don't see how anybody thinks this digital format is going to get more kids into comics, they either like them already or they don't.

One thing to keep in mind is Digital Arts won't stay static while companies figure out how to market the comic book medium, digital or hardcopy. Who knows how broad fandom will be or what price point fans will accept. Whatever we can imagine today is probably wrong.

As for back issues, the net is already awash with back issue scans. That could be locked down, like music, but the price will have to be cheap enough to avoid cost-resistance. Future marketeers will figure that one out.

I was just curious what others think.

Not even remotely interested. Give me a comic that I can touch and smell. It's the total experience of holding the paper and being able to own something tangible.

I understand the appeal of digital for some, but it's not for me and never will be.