• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green lantern experts..

23 posts in this topic

I have a buddy who collects baseball cards (graded and ungraded) and we always talk about collecting. Tonight he said he might be interested in reading Green Lantern, so I am thinking hey maybe a possible convert?? Anyways, I dont collect GL so I need to know what would be a good story line to pick up for him to read. Something not expensive, but enough to possibly get him hooked. Thanks!!

yeah it bugs me when people say start here in the middle its the best! Its only the best if you already know about said characters! Other wise it will mean nothing to you like it does to everyone else who already knows about them... I surely do not start a novel half way through unless that is the way it is written ...

Rebirth & charge will at least give you a basic idea on the characters & back ground of them :)

yeah it bugs me when people say start here in the middle its the best! Its only the best if you already know about said characters! Other wise it will mean nothing to you like it does to everyone else who already knows about them... I surely do not start a novel half way through unless that is the way it is written ...

Rebirth & charge will at least give you a basic idea on the characters & back ground of them :)

I actually disagree with this. We all loved Rebirth because it fixed all the bad editorial choices of the 1990s with respect to the character, but it did have to perform continuity backflips to do so!

Very few Spidey fans started out with ASM #15. Fewer Batman fans started with Tec #27. Get him going on Sinestro Corps War. If he likes it, he can backfill the rest. If he doesn't, no sense wasting his time any further.

Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn was the relaunch of the character back in the 1989-1990 period.

It reintroduces core characters from the Green Lantern Universe, and then transitions to Hal Jordan engaging with the rest of the DC Universe in the Vol. 3 series.

My concern with throwing a new reader right into the heart of the Green Lantern Universe with later or earlier stories is they may not have a foundation to work from who Hal Jordan really is.

Green Lantern: Emerald Dawn was the relaunch of the character back in the 1989-1990 period.

It reintroduces core characters from the Green Lantern Universe, and then transitions to Hal Jordan engaging with the rest of the DC Universe in the Vol. 3 series.

My concern with throwing a new reader right into the heart of the Green Lantern Universe with later or earlier stories is they may not have a foundation to work from who Hal Jordan really is.

Yep that would work well.

Secret Origin from the newest volume is a good jumpstart too. Explains a little more into Abin Sur and Sinestro as well.

Anyways, I dont collect GL so I need to know what would be a good story line to pick up for him to read. Something not expensive, but enough to possibly get him hooked. Thanks!!

You could probably bring someone up to speed quickly using 2 steps:

Have them buy The Green Lantern Chronicles Vol. 1 (isbn 1401221637). It's full color and reprints (in order w/ covers) Showcase 22-24 & Green Lantern 1-3.

You might remind them this is the historical introduction that began in 1959, aimed at juveniles, so they focus on the charm and not the hokieness of the material. Cheap, under $13 off eBay or a discount book store...

Have them watch the Green Lantern: First Flight animated movie. Probably the quickest way to get a glimpse of the corp, it's characters, and general conflicts.

After Chronicles and First Flight they could probably read whatever they want without feeling lost.

412mwfwpVBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg512DDjN6i4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Emerald Dawn and Emerald Dawn 2 are great reads. Secret Origins followed by Rebirth and then the current series onwards. There are still a lot to be said in the volume between these but I do think this would satisfy anybodies interest in GL (thumbs u

I would say either start with the new GL Series at the beginning or get the Secret orgins trade to give some history. I started reading the relaunch of GLC and got hooked and went back to the beginning of the new GL series. And now GL and GLC are my 1, 2 pulls.

Yep that would work well.

Secret Origin from the newest volume is a good jumpstart too. Explains a little more into Abin Sur and Sinestro as well.

+1

I picked up Emerald Dawn when I was almost exclusively a Marvel fanboy (Batman and Detective being my only DC titles). It got me hooked on GL and I have been a fan ever since. The older GL stuff is okay, but if he is a non-comic fan to begin with they will come across as hokey.

I would start off with Emerald Dawn, followed by the Rebirth HC/TPB and then the rest of the new series. Your buddy will probably get more enjoyment out of the Johns' Secret Origin storyline as a result of reading ED first as well.