• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mysteries of the OPG

5 posts in this topic

While there are of course many bizarre prices in OPG, CA and MA can usually at least be linked to what some books at one brief point in time once sold for somewhere. And heck, sometimes OPG is just darn low, like on nearly every issue of Deadpool, NM 98, Walking Dead, Noble Causes Family Secrets 3B, etc. Some of the bronze prices I find more curious, because I don't think they ever sold at any of these prices, particularly not in 9.2 raw, maybe 9.8 slabbed.

One that jumped out at me while perusing the OPG was DC Comics Presents #1. Listed at $45 in 9.2!!! For 25 years this was a dime, 5/$1 or 25 cent box book. My childhood/early teens LCS used to sell grab bags and invariably he'd stick one of these in there (along with some issue of Omega Men or Camelot 3000...) Throughout the 90's and early 2000's I passed on this in any box. It was almost as bad as Batman & the Outsiders #1. While the series does have a few standout books in it that actually have sold for a nice price at various times over the years, it seems that #1 was heavily overordered, at least based on how many of it I've seen over the years.

Mind you, just because it was a dime box books doesn't necessarily mean it should be. In hindsight, the series lasted a while, it's the 12,000th Superman/Flash race and even if it was overordered by DC standards, probably not be marvel standards of 1978. I see a raw "nm" copy did sell for $22 in the last month, but nobody else seems to be close otherwise.

When did OPG decide to spike this book? Was there some period I wasn't paying attention where it was hot for some reason? Am I wrong and this actually sells for a respectable % of guide, just not so much in the last 30 days? DC books do seem to spike wildly based on current stories (psycho pirate appearances? when those JLAs in the 160s spiked for some reason...)

I guess it doesn't matter, if I see the darn thing in a $1 box I guess I'm buying it! Mind you, I probably have 3 or 4 copies of this around here somewhere, so maybe I should shut my mouth.

Any other "where did this come from" prices? (I have a few in mind, of course, but there's no point in me just talking to myself.) I guess generally OPG has a lot of BA books in the $10-$20ish range for no particularly good reason, but I'm thinking a little higher than that. And I'm not even thinking of, let's say, some BA Spideys being a bit on the high end, I'm guessing at some point in the last decade slabbed 9.4s of those books were actually getting a nice premium over the top OPG price (and top OPG of 9.2 is simply just 9.4 of a couple of years ago as changing the top # from 9.4 to 9.2 did not result in any prices being adjusted or anything). Was a slabbed 9.4 of DC Comics presents 1 ever selling for $45-$60?

I loved the DC Comics Presents series. I have the entire series that I bought off the stands. The Garcia -Lopez art was great in those early issues.

The last 9.4 sale of a #1 was $70 in July of this year while the last 9.8 sale in October of this year was $85. That is a little perplexing.

hey, if the slabs are going for that much the # isn't totally off base i suppose.

obviously $45 for 9.2 is off base, but don't people tend to figure that's the same price as for a raw 9.4, especially for a book of "relatively" recent vintage like this.

$70 for a slabbed 9.4 of that book seems a little nuts to me, but who am i to judge? 9.8 i suppose is another story.

i just remember this being a cheap-o box book for so long that $45 figure seemed krazy. i know some of the byrne x-men books are a bit high in OPG, but at least these were books that sold for solid double figures for a long time. it's just that OPG decided to raise them 5% a year every year for no good reason.