• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A weird question about art and sketches

5 posts in this topic

I had a lot of comic art and sketches. A lot of my originals were in a place where they were salvaged but soaked(inks melting lines into a mess) or singed covered in a black ash. My sketch books (that were not looted from my drying area) were wet and some ran considerably.

Some of the items that were looted were on of a kind to me from the artists. Do you think that if I went up with the old scorched or molded ruined sketch and said "Hey Mr. Rosa remember this skethc you did for me and my husband could you make another copy because it was ruined in a fire" or something similar that most artists would say "Oh sure" or "beat it kid ya bother me" I mean of course like my Mart Nodell stuff can never be replaced now and the small drawing and personal message from Forry Ackerman irreplacable but the others some of them it was the first time anyone asked them for a sketch. One of my sketchbooks an artist was so blown away I would bother to ask for one he did a whole thing in color for me entitled "SOMEONE asked me for my first sketch at a con" it survived all bleeding ink and smudgy. Others were personal messages from artist that in some cases I had to sit and talk to for hours to get..(Like when Olivia says she likes your hair and strikes up a chat if you get a scribbled drawing in the end it's a score!!) Would it be bad mannered for me to ask some of these folks to recreate what they did for me in some cases years ago?

It's worse for my husband he lost all his sketch books completely in the fire. he had some nice stuff Rosa, Nick Gray , others art and stuff all gone..at least if I have what is left of mine. My husband and I would each buy a blank sketch book at the beginning of a con and compete to see who could get the most sketches without paying. Some of mine were cool because some writers would say (after 40 people in line before me asked for sketches and they said "I'm a writer I don't do sketches") I would say "Hi I loved your story in this book especially the part about blah blah thanks for great writing!" and they would reply "OMG you knew not to ask me for a sketch bless your heart!" Then they would go on to draw me something really cool..

would it be impolite to impose on them for a redo?

I mean surely not as rude as a fanboy with a stack of 300 comics he is wanting signed or the guy that comes up with a four feet by 5 feet canvas and asks for the artist to "make me a big picture"..or even the person who has no clue who they are asking a sketch from..

Also my Rosa large piece of art was looted from the drying area..he did a freebie for us it was rather large and just awesome..it sucks because it was only minorly damaged in the fire and then someone stole it. If i asked him nicely and showed it to him do you think he would do a redo? He has always been nice to talk to a pleasure to deal with. I have made artsy gifts for him and he had over the years given my husband and I trinkets and sketches.

I just would hate to come off as a jerk asking him to redo..something like that..

would that be rude?

That is such a terrible loss. I know these items were dear to you and your husband. I don't see why asking would be an imposition or considered rude - especially given how much you enjoyed and appreciated them. You aren't seeking monetary gain by them redoing these pieces. I would think if they read your post here or a note with similar feelings expressed, they would realize how precious these were to you.

I guess the worst that they can say is no; but your asking shouldn't seem rude at all.

I also have a Don Rosa, in colour, of Uncle Scrooge. I showed him around Toronto one afternoon at the request of a convention organizer. He did the sketch just to be nice. He is a wonderful man. He views comics and his place in them a little differently than most artists I have met. He might even do a replacement sketch. It is worth a try.

Rosa did the giant Scrooge meets Scrooge (Scrooge McDuck meeting our cat who was named after McDuck) for free..

it was on one of those oversized sketch pad pages about 3Xs the size of a piece of notebook paper.

Rosa is VERY nice. I made him a glass ornament for Christmas one year with a copy of a french lithograph he did once suspended in the middle.

The next year at Mid Ohio he made the Scrooge meets Scrooge for us after hearing we had named our new cat Scrooge..

Our cat Scrooge was also the cat we lost in the fire..

so it was extra special

really po's me someone looted it after the fire..

but I do have a copy of it uploaded to the net..

and I am sure he would remember us..

The other artists (like my sketchbook peeps) were just con sketches..one yr I asked all the artists to sketch their favorite characters as Popeye(Hulk Popeye,Superman Popeye etc) Then the next I asked to draw whatever their favorite character was (even if it was a Shmoo)

I know one of my favorite sketch books was completely destroyed (I had it in a plastic case under my bed and when we pulled it out the case was completely filled with water and the paper was just swill)

There was a running joke on another board that went along the lines of me (I know this will sound gross) licking board members on the face..So the fellow boardies wrote "Thanks for the tongue" on the book..so most of the artist wrote stuff like "Yeah thanks for the tongue WTF?" or similar funny stuff next to funny sketchs of their characters looking perplexed..

My husband and I are not demanding lol I know most of the artists are stuck all day at a table getting books thrust at them and shallow people being sort of rude.

I like to be nice and ask politely and have sometimes just said ahh that is OK I saw all those books that other guy made you sign or that huge sketch..

Don't wear yourself out"

I have even been know to let them go on a break..and I'll sit at there table and pretend to doodle..

It has been proven if you sit at an empty table at a con with a pencil and paper..some unitard will eventually walk up and ask you to draw something for them which is pretty funny..