• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics Whitman

4 posts in this topic

A bit cropped on the scan but I'd guess a 8.0 / 8.5...

It's number 489.

Back in the 70's - 80's you'd find polybagged comics (ususally 3 in a pack) in odd locations.

From Wiki...

"... And while still distributing comic books on spinners and racks at drug stores, supermarkets and such under the Gold Key label simultaneously distributing the same comics — usually in plastic bags of three — to toy and department stores plus newsstands at airports and bus/train stations "as well as other outlets that weren't conducive to conventional comic racks"[12] under the Whitman logo which it also used for such products as coloring books. Western at one point also distributed bagged comics from its rivals DC Comics and Marvel Comics under the Whitman logo. President of DC Comics Paul Levitz has stated "The Western program was enormous — even well into the 1970s they were taking very large numbers of DC titles for distribution (I recall 50,000+ copies offhand)."[13] Continued declining sales forced Western in 1981 to cease newsstand distribution and thereafter release all its comics solely in bags as "Whitman Comics".

As for value I'd say somewhere in the $5.00 to $10.00 range.

I can't grade from scan but they are much more scarce then their regular printed counterparts and HTF in ultra high grade due to being sold in outlets other than comic retailers. Mostly bought by kids or parents for their kids hence the scarcity in grade. If you see these anywhere and they are nice scoop them up.