• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question re: valuation of Canadian versions of U.S. comics

8 posts in this topic

I have a copy iof Batman #55, but it is a canadian version. The only difference I can see is that it has the words "punlished in canada" on the cover (I don't have it in front of me, but that is my recollection). It is not for sale, but I was wondering if there is a general rule of thumb on what percent of a U.S.A. copy's value it would bring? Again, it does not appera to be a chearp knock off like I have seen with Latin American versions. I assume it was published a the same time as the regular version with the words "published in Canada" on the cover in small print.

I don't know about the value, but I do know that the Canadian versions of DC comics in the late forties and fifties always omitted one story. The American comics were 52 pages, the Canadian had 36 pages.

I have a copy iof Batman #55, but it is a canadian version. The only difference I can see is that it has the words "punlished in canada" on the cover (I don't have it in front of me, but that is my recollection). It is not for sale, but I was wondering if there is a general rule of thumb on what percent of a U.S.A. copy's value it would bring? Again, it does not appera to be a chearp knock off like I have seen with Latin American versions. I assume it was published a the same time as the regular version with the words "published in Canada" on the cover in small print.

check overstreet guide. recall seeing a percentage listed for canadian versus US editions in the situations where both editions were printed virtually simultaneously. In some cases I would think the Canadian versions could command a higher than standard percentage because they are exceedingly rare and treated like variants of the regular edition. Some have noted that the WW2 editions are often different because they appealed to different patriotic readers (especially when Canada was fighting the Nazis before the US officially entered the)

Also, some candian editions don't have US counterparts, such as marvel mystery annual, so they are worth more.

i paid a few bucks over 6.0 money for this book at a recent comiconnect auction. the only canadian book i have in my global timely run, but it's a pretty hard book, and once i confirmed that the insides were the same as the u.s. version i pulled the trigger.

bp17.jpg

I think the % would vary from publisher to publisher, or even book to book. As was stated above, Canadian editions are often "incomplete" when compared to their U.S. counterparts, and in other cases have markedly inferior printing quality. Sometimes they have somewhat different covers or even titles (which can actually make them more desirable).

Because they are generally scarcer - interest by largely Canadian collectors can sometimes result in prices fairly close to U.S. versions in an auction setting for more sought after books.

I think the % would vary from publisher to publisher, or even book to book. As was stated above, Canadian editions are often "incomplete" when compared to their U.S. counterparts, and in other cases have markedly inferior printing quality. Sometimes they have somewhat different covers or even titles (which can actually make them more desirable).

Because they are generally scarcer - interest by largely Canadian collectors can sometimes result in prices fairly close to U.S. versions in an auction setting for more sought after books.

exactly--the blonde phantom 20 covers are essentially the same, but the banner colors are inverted in addition to some different color treatments on the features of the cover.

bp20can.jpg

bp20.jpg

I think you've nailed it with the above comments. (thumbs u Here is one of my favorites:

cap70rawcad.jpg