• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Thor 301 (as an example, new grader) Thanks!

4 posts in this topic

Sorry- know this isn't anything exciting, but I'm very new to grading, so trying to see how different things will affect the grade. Comic is in good shape. Spine corners are pretty sharp / slight blunting. Far corners are slightly blunted with a small crease on each. My real concern is the stain on the bottom right of the cover. There's also a ~3in crease on the front from the edge and a one on the back. Please let me know how you came to your grade, so I can get more accurate at this. Thanks so much for the help!

105521.jpg.f53d85ee888db41a056bbd04a8f527e1.jpg

105522.jpg.557ed131a5f04f21a2e5d34611eaafef.jpg

Assuming further damage isn't hidden by what appears to be a cropped top edge I will venture a 5.5 for this book.

As to how I arrived at my 5.5, despite a largely vibrant and clean front cover it does not take much to go down hill fast. I started at a 7.5 for the small color breaking crease (cbc) in the URC. Adding in some additional significant damage to the LRC and a couple minor dings like along the bottom edge take me to 6.5/7.0 Lastly a noticable stain like the one on this book are hit hard by graders and would leave this book lucky to end up with a 5.5. On a good note the back cover itself looks VF or better.

The 3" inches creases you mention appear to be production creases and should not affect the grade. I find it helps to use a contrasting file folder as a background so the edges scan well, as being able to clearly see any damage to the edges and corners is important to grading.

Welcome to the board! Hang around here long and you will look at even minor defects more critically! Until I discovered CGC books and this forum a couple of years ago I had graded all my books P, G, F or M (all the books I had originally purchased new). It was a shock to learns that all those mints actually ranged from 4.0 to 9.6 with the vast majority of the better ones 7.5/8.0!

Thanks a lot- that was very helpful. Let's say the rest of the book was perfect, and it just had that stain. Is the book still ~ 5.5? I'd like to know what the stain limits the book to. Thanks again