• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Market Out There for Restored Early Archies?

16 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity. If a restored Archie # 2-9 hit the market would there be any market for it? These are scarce books that people are always trying to get , and just wondering if a 7.5 restored Archie # 2 with no trimming, what would it be worth? I personally would like to buy but at what percentage?

There's absolutely a market for them (thumbs u

Value would depend on degree of restoration and apparent grade. A restored 2.0 is going to have a much higher value as a percent of the value of an unrestored 2.0 than the percent value a restored 7.5 is going to have relative to the value of an unrestored 7.5.

Why would that be? If a restored 7.5 Archie # 2, (I keep on using that example) hits the market with moderate restoration, color touch, cover cleaned, reinforcement, doesnt that mean it was probably a 4.5-5.0 before which I think an Archie# 2 in that grade would be around $4,000? A 2.0 restored probably means it was a 1.5-1.8 before which would go for $1,500-$2,500?

Yes, but the restored Archie 2 in 2.0 is probably good for $1250 or so, with the unrestored 2.0 being a $2000 book give or take.

A restored Archie 2 in 7.5 is likely a $3000 book whereas an unrestored Archie 2 in 7.5 would likely top $10K at auction.

Why would that be? If a restored 7.5 Archie # 2, (I keep on using that example) hits the market with moderate restoration, color touch, cover cleaned, reinforcement, doesnt that mean it was probably a 4.5-5.0 before which I think an Archie# 2 in that grade would be around $4,000? A 2.0 restored probably means it was a 1.5-1.8 before which would go for $1,500-$2,500?

I think you got it. I normally pay 30% less of what guide says the book may be worth for restored books.

However, my opinion is moot, as I rarely buy purple label Archie books.

The amount of resto to take a book from 4.5-5.0 to 7.5 is much, much less than 2.0-7.5 where pieces are likely added.

In my experience a pro Moderately restored 7.5 usually starts out closer to the 2.0 range than the 4.0 range.

A book that goes from 4.5-7.5 might not need a lot of work (maybe a tear seal, some color touch, etc without any major pieces added) and could retain an SP designation as opposed to a MP designation.

Again, this is all speculation and it's hard to see without before/after pics but the above rule of thumb is a rough guide in my experience .

The amount of resto to take a book from 4.5-5.0 to 7.5 is much, much less than 2.0-7.5 where pieces are likely added.

In my experience a pro Moderately restored 7.5 usually starts out closer to the 2.0 range than the 4.0 range.

A book that goes from 4.5-7.5 might not need a lot of work (maybe a tear seal, some color touch, etc without any major pieces added) and could retain an SP designation as opposed to a MP designation.

Again, this is all speculation and it's hard to see without before/after pics but the above rule of thumb is a rough guide in my experience .

I was under the imprression that raising a book from 4.5 to 7.5 would take it solidly into the moderate category (even not far from soft ext work ?)

Isnt slight = 0,5-1,5 grade ticks (shrug)

Excuse me I am just trying to install a little sanity and 'purple logic' into the restored field of books lol

I think slight refers to the amount of restoration and not the change in apparent grade (although they are obviously correlated to a great extent). However, yanking the cover off a 9.4 and reattaching should take you from a 4.0 (?) to an apparent 9.4 (or so) Slight.

Right. It's entirely dependent on how much work is done to the book.

One tear seal and a bit of CT could take a book from VG range into VF range and keep it within SP designation.

If you end up adding paper to make a VG book into a VF book then it immediately becomes a much larger amount of work that would likely tip the scales and put the book into the MP designation.

But how much ricepaper is allowed in moderate before it tips into ext.?

I can't answer that as I'm not sure if they is any exact formula that exists.

They way CGC decides which restoration designation to give it is by the total amount of work that is done to a book. I spoke to them about it.

A cover cleaning might make a book an SP, but a cover cleaning and some other work would be enough to take it into MP.

Pieces added and you are almost definitely into MP.

Their SP/MP/EP designation just a rough guideline, nothing more.

They way CGC decides which restoration designation to give it is by the total amount of work that is done to a book. I spoke to them about it.

A cover cleaning might make a book an SP, but a cover cleaning and some other work would be enough to take it into MP.

I have a GA book with a slightly larger piece added (along the edge of the top backcover + a FC tear seal + a little pinch a CT here and there + cover cleaned. It all appears very moderate. But that one got hammered into the ext. category. (shrug)

I am thinking that the moderate category is kind of pressed in between slight and Ext with not very much space available to each side ?

I have a GA book with a slightly larger piece added (along the edge of the top backcover + a FC tear seal + a little pinch a CT here and there + cover cleaned. It all appears very moderate. But that one got hammered into the ext. category. (shrug)

I am thinking that the moderate category is kind of pressed in between slight and Ext with not very much space available to each side ?

Again, it all depends on the total amount of work done.

The combination of work is likely what tipped the scales into the Extensive category. Unfortunately, even if it is only slightly in the Extensive category, it's still an Extensive book.