• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laugh at yourself because you're a DOPE! (comic related)

74 posts in this topic

In 5th grade I used to trade books with my friends, one of whom had it out for me and stole a small stack of my ever-precious Hulks. It didn't take me long to find out they were missing, and my fledgling career as a part-time detective led me to discover the culprit. A few dust clouds on the football field later and I had my books back, but my lesson had been learned - I promptly went home and put a big "M" in pencil on the top of the back cover of all my Hulks!! foreheadslap.gif

(But please lmk if you guys run across any Hulks from the "M" pedigree!! 27_laughing.gif)

In 5th grade I used to trade books with my friends, one of whom had it out for me and stole a small stack of my ever-precious Hulks. It didn't take me long to find out they were missing, and my fledgling career as a part-time detective led me to discover the culprit. A few dust clouds on the football field later and I had my books back, but my lesson had been learned - I promptly went home and put a big "M" in pencil on the top of the back cover of all my Hulks!! foreheadslap.gif

(But please lmk if you guys run across any Hulks from the "M" pedigree!! 27_laughing.gif)

Well done... 27_laughing.gif you showed him foreheadslap.gif

I was holding a glass of red wine two nights ago in bed while reading a new comic. I have a stack of comics on the floor beside my bed. (No, I am not Steve Borock.) Anyway, because I am a scum sucking wine snob, I hold a wine glass by the stem, not by the bowl. The wine glass stem suddenly tilted in my hand as I was reading, and though I was able to firm up my grip on the glass before it fell completely out of my hand, a good amount of the stuff did slosh out of the glass and onto my stack of comics. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif Thank God that most of them were still in plastic, but not all of them were. sorry.gif

PM me too. Don't forget to apply for a patent! Have they been on sale for more than a year??? (Hope not, or there goes the patent!) 893whatthe.gif

OOPS. I just thought of one.

The reason I don't use long boxes anymore.

I had a half full long box that sat for several months without opening it.

When I did, about 15 or so books were missing.

I kept flipping through trying to find them.

They had slid down and were half up and half curled under the books.

That one pissed me off pretty badly.

Since then I've used short boxes, and when they are not full, I have foam blocks that I put in front as fillers.

I'm also anal about putting a few loose backing boards in the front and back of the box to keep the inside of the box from putting a dent in the first book.

Another peeve I have.

Remember those long boxes that had the full flat fold over piece so that both ends were nice and even and you did not have to cut your own cardboard or use backer boards to protect the first few comics coming in contact? Those were the days.

I have a solution though. There is a guy that makes these "comic-sizers" that are adjustable length plastic insert devices that clasp tightly over both sides and can hold up a heavy stack (even when tossing the boxes around a bit). I bought a case of them (50) and I love them. I intend to approach the guy (not a marketing genius) to allow me to sell them when my site is up. I'll PM you.

I was holding a glass of red wine two nights ago in bed while reading a new comic. I have a stack of comics on the floor beside my bed. (No, I am not Steve Borock.) Anyway, because I am a scum sucking wine snob, I hold a wine glass by the stem, not by the bowl. The wine glass stem suddenly tilted in my hand as I was reading, and though I was able to firm up my grip on the glass before it fell completely out of my hand, a good amount of the stuff did slosh out of the glass and onto my stack of comics. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif Thank God that most of them were still in plastic, but not all of them were. sorry.gif

Note to self...... drink only WHITE wine in bed !!!

sorry to hear bout your mishap... screw the comics, how much wine did you lose?

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif (but sorry for your loss)

That gives a whole new dimension to comic sniffing.

"Hmmmm, what year was the comic printed and the wine that's dried on the cover?"... "Sniiiiiffffff, Sniiiiffffff, I'll say the comic: 1972 stored in less than ideal conditions, the wine: 1950 Mouton Rothschild.. the spiller of the wine also brushed his teeth with Aim Tartar Control that morning and also ate garlic-eggplant for lunch"

A few months ago I was reading a nice copy of uncanny x-men 128, when I decided to get something to eat from the kitchen. So I left the comic on the coffee table and got my food, but when I walked back in the front room.....my dog (who was about 10 weeks old) was savagely ripping and chewing my poor comic into little peices..... 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gifmad.gif893frustrated.giffrown.gifforeheadslap.gif.

I suppose I should of known not to leave a puppy in the same room as an unbagged, open comic....Oh well!!

A few months ago I was reading a nice copy of uncanny x-men 128, when I decided to get something to eat from the kitchen. So I left the comic on the coffee table and got my food, but when I walked back in the front room.....my dog (who was about 10 weeks old) was savagely ripping and chewing my poor comic into little peices..... 893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gifmad.gif893frustrated.giffrown.gifforeheadslap.gif.

I suppose I should of known not to leave a puppy in the same room as an unbagged, open comic....Oh well!!

27_laughing.gif I love animal stories involving comics. Don't get any idea now you perverts! 893naughty-thumb.gif By the way, didn't someone have a cat scratch the hell out of their DD #1? popcorn.gif

At least your wife didn't throw a bunch of them down on the floor instead of newspaper to "train" the puppy... the horror, the horror 893whatthe.gif

guess the pages werent white after that little incident 893censored-thumb.gif

I've ruined a couple of books trying to push them too hard into the mylar sleeve, ending up scrunching the top part of the cover. foreheadslap.gif

That's called a "thumb dent"

Timely

Sounds like the term used in that early CGC promotional piece i posted about earlier in the thread.

Man... there's offically a defect named after a specific problem associated with inserting comics into Mylars. Sort of ironic since its a comic preservation product.

893whatthe.gif