• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carl Barks original art pages

19 posts in this topic

Would these considered to be good, bad or okay prices?

Donald Duck 26 p.16 (Partial).....$11,950

Uncle Scrooge 59 p.1................$22,705

Uncle Scrooge 59 p.2................$14,340

Uncle Scrooge 59 p.3................$19,717

Uncle Scrooge 59 p.4..................$8,962

Uncle Scrooge 59 p.5................$14,340

Uncle Scrooge 59 p.6................$15,535

I haven't a clue; where's tb when you need him. There's so little on the market that how does one really judge?

my sense is they are a bit soft but not terrible. Perhaps even "okay." After all the US 59 pages are far past his prime and the DD26, while nicely illustrated, is but a few panels, none of which have either donald or scrooge.

So, if this was jack kirby these pages are more captain america annual 4 than avengers 4. with that in mind 9-22k isn't bad, I guess. I bet the buyer of these would have liked nothing better than to be spending more money on barks pages than this but when its these particular pages... there has to be only so much one can be willing to spend for "okay" examples, even if better examples barely exist. I wish the great pages from some of the classic DDOS issues were out there :(

taking a closer look at the images again, as far as late run scrooge goes, its pretty good. Far from the best but not too shabby for how close to his retirement these are dated.

The sale that looks softest to me is the title page.

So, anyone who *isn't* pulling their opinion out of their butt have any comment?

After all the US 59 pages are far past his prime and the DD26, while nicely illustrated, is but a few panels, none of which have either donald or scrooge.

I think this story (and art) ranks up there with Barks` best work. :sumo:

Anyways, Barks "far past his prime" is still better than 99.9% of other creators that ever worked in comics.

After all the US 59 pages are far past his prime and the DD26, while nicely illustrated, is but a few panels, none of which have either donald or scrooge.

I think this story (and art) ranks up there with Barks` best work. :sumo:

Anyways, Barks "far past his prime" is still better than 99.9% of other creators that ever worked in comics.

" think this story (and art) ranks up there with Barks` best work."

-- I don't. Its pretty good for late run barks but I'd take most any of his 1948-1958 work in a heartbeat over this.

"Anyways, Barks "far past his prime" is still better than 99.9% of other creators that ever worked in comics."

-- no argument from me there. in fairness, whether "soft" or not, at 15k a panel page the prices are reflective of that.

-- I don't. Its pretty good for late run barks but I'd take most any of his 1948-1958 work in a heartbeat over this.

Clearly the majority of his best work was during that period, but I think some of his 60s work, such as "North of the Yukon" and "Loony Lunar Gold Rush", is right up there.

Clearly the majority of his best work was during that period, but I think some of his 60s work, such as "North of the Yukon" and "Loony Lunar Gold Rush", is right up there.

Story is outstanding but I don't think the art itself compares with his earlier work. The pages sold for more than I thought they would but I'm only a casual watcher of the market.

crazy talk ! :kidaround:

actually when this was first posted I was excited because I thought bonds was talking about luck of the north, not north of the yukon (always mix those two up in my head)

Not to mention "Back to the Klondike"!

Story is outstanding but I don't think the art itself compares with his earlier work. The pages sold for more than I thought they would but I'm only a casual watcher of the market.

But does anyone really buy Barks for pure artistic merit?

crazy talk ! :kidaround:

actually when this was first posted I was excited because I thought bonds was talking about luck of the north, not north of the yukon (always mix those two up in my head)

Not to mention "Back to the Klondike"!

yes!

But does anyone really buy Barks for pure artistic merit?

No but I never implied that.

If the art doesn't compare with his earlier work than it's likely to sell for less than it otherwise might.