• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Montreal Comic Con - MiniCon Sunday, December 5, 2010 at Place Bonaventure

37 posts in this topic

The Sheik's manager said he was ill and wasn't coming.

Thanks for the reply, Kevin. I hope it's nothing serious.

Anyway, I just want to add that I enjoyed the show and returned home from it with a small stack of books. That said, I walked to the show and wasn't looking to buy any mega keys, so I was perfectly happy with what I got for my $5 entrance fee.

It comes down to expectations, really. The impression that I seemed to get from people was that they expected the crowds to be similar to the big show, and I know from experience working on cons that people just don't come out in those kinds of numbers for mini Sunday cons - even at the same venue.

500-1000 attendees for a one day show on a cold December afternoon is a great turnout and they exceeded that so I would chalk that up as a success - I had huge doubts when I heard some projections. This con had a nice vibe to it until mid-afternoon when the crowds usually thin out and then people seemed a bit sad that it wasn't bigger. I think the hours were perhaps one hour too long, 6pm seemed long.

The September show IS a massive event by comparison and gets the guests and advertising budget that reflects it. Oscar took some time to take me up to the hall that has been reserved for next September and it looks great - while the downstairs space is nice, it has an almost industrial feel to it and is oddly shaped - the upstairs has a big con feel to it.

I arrived at the show at around 2 p.m. or so. Maybe that is why it felt the room was just ho-hum. The dealers looked to be in some sort of bored trance. There was a definite industrial feel to that room. Just no good for conducting business or even looking around.

Getting something to eat or drink was a 5 minute walk!! This was my wife's first con. To say she didn't like it is a apretty big understatement! She bought 2 books, Incredible Hulk readers. She is an American and had never been to Montreal. She liked what she saw on that front. I knew most of the dealers. More than a few were from the Ottawa, Ont. area.

Yes, I think everyone was a bit dazed by 2pm. Crowd levels definitely ebbed and flowed - it was busy until noon and then wrestling and the Sam Witwer panel started and there were a lot of people tied up in activities, then the crowds built up and it got busy again and then another round of activities started and people started to wander off for lunch or to check out the other event upstairs.

Yes, there were a couple of Ottawa dealers like Myths, Legends & Heroes and Guy Leger.

Sorry you and your wife couldn't find anything... I found a couple of graphic novels I was looking for while I had some down time later in the afternoon. I agree the room had an industrial edge, but on the flip side it was so bright in the room that you could pick out a book's flaws from 10 feet away.

I do think that there is a definitely downward trend when it comes to buying at shows. From the dealers I spoke to, they've felt that the attendees at the Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal shows have not been spending like they usually do. I have my theories, but I do think the economy and time of year (just before Xmas) are major factors at play here but one can't ignore the type and quality of material being sold. People are getting pickier about what they spend their money on.

Anyway - I realize you said you didn't think you would be returning, but there's a great food court (lots of variety) in the building that was really close by (one level down from the con and around two corners). I had Subway for lunch myself, but I agree that Place Bonaventure could do a better job promoting that it is there!

... on a cold December afternoon...

Oh man, Kevin. You really just proved you're from Toronto. Man, that wasn't cold by any Montreal standard. :roflmao:

Heck, I left my coat ay home!

My Torontonian relatives would always complain about the snow and cold when they came into town for Christmas. You guys have it easy over in TO come wintertime .

Good seeing you again and thanks for your assistance with the show.

Happy holidays!

Although the show is in Montreal. Talking to a security guard who coudln't speak English was off putting. It's Montreal, not France!! The one dealer that had some bigger books was so far off in his grading and pricing it was bordering on obscene!! He was on the back wall by Norm of Fourcolorcollectibles... That "dealer" really needs to re-think his business model! It really does but a potential buyer off on the whole show. I know there his books. But wanting 75 - 100% more for the books than there worth is simply bad business. I can see if they were some HG books. But .5, 1.0. 1.5 is not HG!! I know one dealer wasn't too happy to be near him. Even he knew that dealer was killing his sales. Customers saw that guys books. look of shock at the pricing, then get the heck out of that area as fast as they could. That's what I did.

The show was run very professionally. The room was well lit, clean. Most people were very friendly. The room was well... Awful. The vibe was off, small feeling. What was that massive noise in the next room about?? Sounded like a Tony Robbins lecture was in there! I did get excellent parking, right outside the building. No more than 45 seconds from the front door.

I will give this show another try. I just hope it is in a much better room with a few more dealers.

I know one dealer wont be going if he is near Mr. Insane Pricing and Grading dealer!! I heard him say so to his partner!!

I arrived at the show at around 2 p.m. or so. Maybe that is why it felt the room was just ho-hum. The dealers looked to be in some sort of bored trance. There was a definite industrial feel to that room. Just no good for conducting business or even looking around.

Getting something to eat or drink was a 5 minute walk!! This was my wife's first con. To say she didn't like it is a apretty big understatement! She bought 2 books, Incredible Hulk readers. She is an American and had never been to Montreal. She liked what she saw on that front. I knew most of the dealers. More than a few were from the Ottawa, Ont. area.

Does she know you're a deadbeat non payer who's in the hall of shame?

I went to the show as well. It was much smaller and really not all that much there. I can say I went. But I wont be coming back anytime soon! A waste of time if you were driving any distance. IMHO

Avengers #1 .5 maybe a 1.0 on a really good day asking $1645!! X-Men 1 1.0 $1495!!

The pricing was such that a real offer would of seemed as a insult to the seller. Attendance from what I was told was low as well. No dis respect meant to the people that set this show up. But it was very disappointing to say the least. I left the show the way I showed up, Comicless!!!! Maybe next time this show is held the public will get there $5 admission back somehow!!

You're just annoyed that you couldn't make an offer you had no intention of honoring.

... on a cold December afternoon...

Oh man, Kevin. You really just proved you're from Toronto. Man, that wasn't cold by any Montreal standard. :roflmao:

Heck, I left my coat ay home!

My Torontonian relatives would always complain about the snow and cold when they came into town for Christmas. You guys have it easy over in TO come wintertime .

Good seeing you again and thanks for your assistance with the show.

Happy holidays!

Pffft...you Montrealers think you're soooo tough with your ice-storms, blizzards, and winning sports teams. Suck it! I'll take my lake-effect winters anytime!

The Sheik's manager said he was ill and wasn't coming.

I saw him sleeping in Atlanta behind his table.

(shrug)

Guess he wasn't that sick.

lol

Yes, I heard he was at that Atlanta show. He was supposed to fly out Saturday night to be in MTL on Sunday. Maybe he changed his mind...? Hard to say for sure, but the reason given was he was sick, so I guess MTL has to take that at face value.

I've bought books from Brad {Vorhees} at shows. So I guess he is now banned here huh?? :screwy: I buy books at shows all the time. I would do the same thing with Filter{Adam} knowing the circumstances. Don't like that??? Too bad for you, not me.

Back on subject. The Montreal show was well ran. It was a bit smaller than I thought it would be. The usual dealers were there. But once a dealer really over grades and over prices. He/she can really turn a potential customer off from buying at that show at all. They can charge what they want, they own the books. It's unfortunate that other dealers may have to loose a sale because of that...

I've bought books from Brad {Vorhees} at shows. So I guess he is now banned here huh?? :screwy: I buy books at shows all the time. I would do the same thing with Filter{Adam} knowing the circumstances. Don't like that??? Too bad for you, not me.

You seem to talk a lot about Vorhees, as did 'TOS This'. Interesting use of bracketry again, and you 'both' manage to spell Voorhees wrong hm

Norm from Four Color Collectibles was there. Though I didn't know it at the time. Vorhees{Brad} was right beside Norm. Had I of known I would of introduced myself. Vorhees did have a decent GL 86 for sale. So go PM Vorhees. Guelph was right beside Norm. He is a local dealer. So PM Vorhees.