• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Because, well...it's eBay....

52 posts in this topic

F'n ebay :mad: I've had more non paying bidders in the last few months then I ever have. I've had people complain about shipping when I shipped Priority the day after they paid. Some of the best non paying excuses have been "I just got arrested and need money for a lawyer" and "I just won your auction and went outside to start my car and now I can't pay because I found out the car won't start and needs repairs". I mean can't they just be honest I hate BS excuses. Your car just died really? You just got arrested well maybe you should stop being a dumb azz and pay for my damn auction.

I sold a book in September for over 2k. The buyer had no contact for over two weeks. When I filed the non-paying bidder with ebay he contacted me to say "I'm going through bankruptcy and my lawyer fees are higher then expected" (shrug)

I have had good luck with wackadoodles. I can probably count them on my hands over the last 10+ years and around 1500 transactions. This probably means I'll hit 10 at once so I should shut-up.

The biggest wack job I had was a seller who negged me after like 3 days from the end of the auction because I had not e-mailed him telling him the payment was coming (this was back in the pre-paypal days) -- I had inadvertendlty responded to the e-mail from ebay and thought I was e-mailing him (I was new to it). I think he didn't like the auction results and was looking for a way out of the transaction.

Another one freaked out when I listed an identical item to the one I had sold him (because I had 10 of them) and thought I was ripping him off, left me messages on my home phone, looked me up to find out where I worked, threatened to file a complaint with the bar association, etc. I think he even left a message on my mother's phone because her second line was still registered in my name from when I lived at home. and this was like 3 o4 4 days after the end of the auction, I had not even received his check yet! he was so embarassed when i told him i had 10 more of them he wind up buying them all from me.

The people who have complained about something coming slow mostly had a good reason to (although my auctions specifically say I may take up to 5 days to pack your stuff), but they didn't hammer me in my feedback. Most of them probably appreciate the extra goodies I toss in the package.

Sure, I've had a couple of folks go on buying sprees in my store (and in other peoples' stores) and never pay, but at least that isn't dealing directly with a loon, it's just dealing with ebay to get my fees back.

I've wondered if the seller giving a grade is more trouble than its worth with all the reports of buyers trying to say the book wasn't in the described grade and trying to get a discount. I've seen a few sellers on E-bay state they won't give grades and when asked they said it was because so many buyers disagreed with the grade and wanted a discount. I told him I thought his grades were high as well and to try purposely undergrading books to see if it helped. He did and a few weeks later I noticed he stopped grading completely so I guess under-grading didn't help.

I mix it up. SOmetims I just say "mid-grade". On beaters I just say "low grade reading copy" so as to avoid arguments over the nuances of Fair versus Fair PLus versus Fair Minus. Sometimes I'll give a range like "Fine to Fine+". But if it isn't a hot hot book, you are leaving money on the table most of the time by not being specific. Let's say you grade it as a VF, people will bid the 35-80% of whatever of guide they're willing to bid. Call if "mid-grade" or "nice" and folks will probably bid that % of the Fine or 5.0 price, regardless if the scan looks VF.

For the most part, I've found an inverse correlation between this type of behavior and how much the item costs. The cheaper the item, the nuttier the customer can be. There are whack jobs across the board of course, but more at the under $20 end.

This is true. And it may mean that you're more likely dealing with a child. I just had someone write me on Monday that they needed an extra week to pay for their item.

The price of said item? $1.50.

For the most part, I've found an inverse correlation between this type of behavior and how much the item costs. The cheaper the item, the nuttier the customer can be. There are whack jobs across the board of course, but more at the under $20 end.

This is true. And it may mean that you're more likely dealing with a child. I just had someone write me on Monday that they needed an extra week to pay for their item.

The price of said item? $1.50.

I had some person buy a book for $4.50 cents back when I first started selling on e-bay. I e-mailed him for over two months. He kept stalling and stalling and never did send the money. I drop a negative on him. He replies and says " Seller not very understanding". :screwy:

DR.X

Look as his feedback. He's got a Daredevil #168 he sold graded 6.8. :o

DR.X

What is 4dgrading? I'm afraid to even goto the site HAHA All the grandma's use PGX, so this guy must be really out there!

Look as his feedback. He's got a Daredevil #168 he sold graded 6.8. :o

DR.X

What is 4dgrading? I'm afraid to even goto the site HAHA All the grandma's use PGX, so this guy must be really out there!

http://www.6dgrading.com/

What bugs me is a seller not disclosing that the cover is detached or it has a coupon cut out.

reputable seller or not, I always ask all these types of questions before buying- I have gone through the same stuff. I usually ask a barrage of questions now. bought a real nice mid grade Marvel Tales #1, seller didnt tell me the glue attaching the cover was detatched from about half the cover. I always ask about water damage (got burned bad a couple times on this), rips, markings, resto (ammy or pro), page color, attached staples, etc

I too have been asking more and more questions on the items I bid on and find it odd that so many sellers don't reply, or give a short "yep" type of response.

I had to start asking a list of questions after I started returning half the books I used to buy off e-bay. Edge tears, staple attachment, creases, undisclosed light stains all over, and writing inside, etc, etc. If they didn't reply, I just forgot it and moved on.

DR.X