• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speculating on Walking Dead

217 posts in this topic

I'm glad I sold mine for $650 when I had the chance. I think the $650-$700 prices were the peak. I'm going to speculate that WD#1 CGC 9.8 is a $300-$350 book in two years. It looks like its heading that way now.

I liked episode #1, but I really don't see this show holding an audience for more than 2 seasons. Unless they take creative license and stray from the books, it's just too gloomy with zero uplift. In a black and white comic, you can separate yourself from the gloom. With real characters on a wide screen plasma, its just too real and too depressing for a wide audience. Just my $0.02

I sadly read the episode summaries while reading an article. Its pretty different.

Thinking this book is just getting started is laughable. And the 500 price tag is very steep for most would be new collectors. Think what you want I will stick with the book coming down.

What makes it laughable?

What, in the history of modern comics can you compare it to that makes my assessment of it so laughable?

You don't think there are 250 people right now who want that book; see that book as a must have? You don't think that demand will grow any?

I'm saying it has a long life as a high dollar book. And a lot of people are waiting to buy one. If the price comes down some, it'll go right back up because of the amount of demand for it.

$500 might be too high for some people, but it still sold two copies, just on ebay, OVER that price this week. (Oh, and Kathryn sold her's here on the forum for $515 in less than 30 minutes). It's more than I personally want to pay for it. But if it falls to $400 tomorrow because someone wants to sell it quickly, the possibility of me buying one increases 100%.

There are people who would jump at that price; jump at it. And that demand would increase the price.

The demand is still there. No one is worried yet that they won't be able to 'unload' these #1 9.8's at a pretty high price.

Usually prices fall when demand declines. This book does not have that problem.

The TV show. The monthly book, with a growing reader base. If these things remain consistent or grow... what's going to lower the price on this low print run book, especially on 9.8 #1's?

Don't confuse buyer's cautiously watching the market the week after the show started with a decrease in demand.

This book has legs.

Thinking this book is just getting started is laughable. And the 500 price tag is very steep for most would be new collectors. Think what you want I will stick with the book coming down.

What makes it laughable?

What, in the history of modern comics can you compare it to that makes my assessment of it so laughable?

You don't think there are 250 people right now who want that book; see that book as a must have? You don't think that demand will grow any?

I'm saying it has a long life as a high dollar book. And a lot of people are waiting to buy one. If the price comes down some, it'll go right back up because of the amount of demand for it.

$500 might be too high for some people, but it still sold two copies, just on ebay, OVER that price this week. (Oh, and Kathryn sold her's here on the forum for $515 in less than 30 minutes). It's more than I personally want to pay for it. But if it falls to $400 tomorrow because someone wants to sell it quickly, the possibility of me buying one increases 100%.

There are people who would jump at that price; jump at it. And that demand would increase the price.

The demand is still there. No one is worried yet that they won't be able to 'unload' these #1 9.8's at a pretty high price.

The TV show. The monthly book, with a growing reader base. If these things remain consistent or grow... what's going to lower the price on this low print run book, especially on 9.8 #1's? Don't confuse buyer's cautiously watching the market the week after the show started with a decrease in demand.

This book has legs.

how about another 100 9.8's getting slabbed? there seems to be no end to the supply of 9.8's yet.

What makes it laughable?

The TV show. The monthly book, with a growing reader base. If these things remain consistent or grow... what's going to lower the price on this low print run book, especially on 9.8 #1's? Don't confuse buyer's cautiously watching the market the week after the show started with a decrease in demand.

This book has legs.

how about another 100 9.8's getting slabbed? there seems to be no end to the supply of 9.8's yet.

That's the most key point.

How many more will get slabbed at 9.8?

And will that number exceed the demand?

It remains to be seen, but as I've said, there's nothing else to compare it to.

Im sorry, but there are still 9.8 copies coming to census. There are probably a few worth pressing as well. The fact that there are quite a few fans and more to come no doubt does not convince me this will be some super mega key of the modern age. And it can easily be compared to many books. Kirkman has said 200 issues correct? What happens after?? Do you honestly think that the book will keep this massive fan base after the book is no longer being published?

I dont doubt the fans or the amount some are willing to spend. I do doubt the books ability to maintain the current value. Could I be wrong? Absolutely! But there is nothing presenting itself as evidence that this book will continue to rise. And I look at it like AF15. There are plenty of people who want one, doesnt mean everyone can afford it. That is why we have market corrections.

What makes it laughable?

The TV show. The monthly book, with a growing reader base. If these things remain consistent or grow... what's going to lower the price on this low print run book, especially on 9.8 #1's?

Don't confuse buyer's cautiously watching the market the week after the show started with a decrease in demand.

This book has legs.

I sold mine 6 months ago for $600. I no longer want one. So judging by your post the price has already dropped, and maybe the fanbase is staying the same size - people are getting into the title as others are getting out.

Saying about demand on this book is false, there are always 9.8 copies available and as has been mentioned more 9.8 copies are being added to the census.

Damn someone really paid 600 for your copy? Just nuts! I mean people can do what they like, but thats just throwing money away.

They also sold it for $600 two months ago.

did you sell it in the uk, or to a member in the states? If it was in the states, they likely lost a few bucks from shipping.

In the UK, I'm not sure whether that explains the high price or makes it even wilder.

Im sorry, but there are still 9.8 copies coming to census. There are probably a few worth pressing as well. The fact that there are quite a few fans and more to come no doubt does not convince me this will be some super mega key of the modern age. And it can easily be compared to many books.

No. It can't.

Name me a regular issue modern in the last 10 years that is consistently selling for $400-$600 over the course of two years, is published monthly, and has a weekly TV series. Better yet, just try and name a rgular issue modern in the last ten years that consistently sold for $400-$600 over the course of two years.

And I think it already IS a super mega key of the modern age. There's nothing to compare it to!

Kirkman has said 200 issues correct? What happens after?? Do you honestly think that the book will keep this massive fan base after the book is no longer being published?

I said the book has legs. I think it still has life. I don't see it's interest WANING because of a week of ONLY $540 'average' sales of 9.8 #1's after the TV series attracted 8 MILLION viewers.

I'm NOT predicting ANYTHING 10 years from now, which is how long it'll take Kirkman to reach 200 issues.

For all I know the world will end in 2012. And I'm pretty sure the Walking Dead will remain hugely popular until then.

I dont doubt the fans or the amount some are willing to spend. I do doubt the books ability to maintain the current value. Could I be wrong? Absolutely! But there is nothing presenting itself as evidence that this book will continue to rise. And I look at it like AF15. There are plenty of people who want one, doesnt mean everyone can afford it. That is why we have market corrections.

Maintain it's current value? Never said that.

Fall like Watchmen #1 did? I just don't agree. Don't see a comparison.

Watchmen had 20+ years, no continuing storyline and a single movie that divided viewers AND comic fans. And an original print run of probably 50,000 or more.

If 8 million people tuned in for the TV show and even 1% of those are comic book fans, that's 800,000 people.

If only 10% of that are hardcore Walking Dead fans, that's still 80,000 people.

And if only 10% of THAT are people who have the money, and think it would be cool to have a 9.8 #1, but AREN'T SURE, that would STILL be 8,000 people (or roughly the print run of the book.

And this thing still has a chance to GROW!

There's NOTHING else you can compare this book to.

From what I have read here he is committed to 200 issues.

Chuck Gower. You seem way too angry for me to debate with you, but its really just a debate. You are a little too intense on the discussion of a funny book. No harm no foul, im just not THAT into any book to just argue.

Boozad. Sell the rest of your modern Drek and buy my Bat books!

Did kirkman really say over in 200 ?.. that makes me sad :(

why?.....i don't want this book to end...and least not yet. (btw...i think he's said 300 a couple of times, but who knows how long it'll actually go. hopefully 500+ great issues)

From what I have read here he is committed to 200 issues.

Chuck Gower. You seem way too angry for me to debate with you, but its really just a debate. You are a little too intense on the discussion of a funny book. No harm no foul, im just not THAT into any book to just argue.

Boozad. Sell the rest of your modern Drek and buy my Bat books!

Not angry at all. Didn't mean for it to come across that way.

I thought we were just sharing our thoughts on it. (shrug)