• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX standards slipping?

39 posts in this topic

Check out this PGA/PGX "high" grade X-Men #1. :sick:

The photo's seem to show the book a bit lighter than what it appears to be in the scans (3rd from last and next to last image). I'm guessing that the tanning is somewhere between the scans and the photo's, but still that's horrible "9.0".

Link

Who takes a photo of a $18,000 comic sitting in a car with what looks like a camera phone? Bizarre...

Even more troubling is the very straight and clean looking top edge. When is the last time anyone saw an [untrimmed] copy of this book with absolutely no top cover overhang?

I'll put $5 on it that it's not even the correct interior to the book. People in this comic collecting community outside of these boards really do need education, maybe someone should set up an organisation promoting ethics and education.

Oh, wait...

it is shocking that anyone would pay $18k for that hideous book. The buyer is in one big disappointment.

+1

Who takes a photo of a $18,000 comic sitting in a car with what looks like a camera phone? Bizarre...

Even more troubling is the very straight and clean looking top edge. When is the last time anyone saw an [untrimmed] copy of this book with absolutely no top cover overhang?

+2

I'm not an expert on trimming, but that top edge looks very suspicious. This is a terrible looking book. Look at the pic of the top corner and the color rub, and the worn corner. WTF (9.0)? It almost looks like there may have been a tear there and it was sealed from the inside. What a shame the buyer didn't find these boards before he bought it. The edges on this book look terrible to me.

DR.X

x-men1.jpg

I'll put $5 on it that it's not even the correct interior to the book. People in this comic collecting community outside of these boards really do need education, maybe someone should set up an organisation promoting ethics and education.

Oh, wait...

You are just wasting your breath warning people about the crooks at pgx Gav.Switched books,faked collectibles,trimming anything for a dollar.

Wonder what his rates are for renting his slabbing machine.

Ryan Elliott :foryou:

Oh, wait...

You are just wasting your breath warning people about the crooks at pgx Gav.Switched books,faked collectibles,trimming, slabbing his own books and selling them, anything for a dollar.

Wonder what his rates are for renting his slabbing machine.

Ryan Elliott :foryou:

I fixed that for you. (:

By the way...

I can fully buy the notion that there are plenty of uneducated collectors who simply do not realize the difference between CGC and PGX. They simply do not follow the market closely and have no clue as the to PGX shenanigans. Let's face it -- how many of us would know the differences between the card grading companies or if there was similar drama in autograph authenticating companies?

That said, I find it very hard to believe that the type of collector who owns a book in the neighborhood of $20,000 is completely unaware of PGX's reputation. I can only presume that very expensive books sent to PGX are done so for a specific reason.

By the way...

I can fully buy the notion that there are plenty of uneducated collectors who simply do not realize the difference between CGC and PGX. They simply do not follow the market closely and have no clue as the to PGX shenanigans. Let's face it -- how many of us would know the differences between the card grading companies or if there was similar drama in autograph authenticating companies?

That said, I find it very hard to believe that the type of collector who owns a book in the neighborhood of $20,000 is completely unaware of PGX's reputation. I can only presume that very expensive books sent to PGX are done so for a specific reason.

Many of the high end books are done by PGX because its easy.Action 1.X-Men 1 8.5.

People just too lazy to spend the money for CGC grading.

Many of the high end books are done by PGX because its easy.Action 1.X-Men 1 8.5. People just too lazy to spend the money for CGC grading.

I can buy the easy and cheap argument for books that might be a few hundred dollars or less. Moderns... sure. But 5 digit books?

Any educated seller has to knows the final price differential between PGX and CGC will far outweight the few bucks you save in slabbing fees.

The Action 1 may have been an abberation, or for all we know, Daniel slabbed it for free for the PR value.

I suspect there are more nefarious reasons why most other big books are sent to PGX.

Using the same photo you can see what you get with a micro-trim. I used my kick-spoon mspaint skills (or "skillz" as my homies like to say) to point out the spot where the trim ends. You can see the edge is flat & clean up to that point (coming from the right) and then there's a subtle change in the contour. Just enough to keep it from being entirely straight, but you can also see wear to the left of the cutoff that isn't there on the right. I've seen this on several microtrimmed books, this is probably the same case.

106083.jpg.f72fec808a3c0782d4089ef7caec69e7.jpg

Many of the high end books are done by PGX because its easy.Action 1.X-Men 1 8.5. People just too lazy to spend the money for CGC grading.

I can buy the easy and cheap argument for books that might be a few hundred dollars or less. Moderns... sure. But 5 digit books?

Any educated seller has to knows the final price differential between PGX and CGC will far outweight the few bucks you save in slabbing fees.

The Action 1 may have been an abberation, or for all we know, Daniel slabbed it for free for the PR value.

I suspect there are more nefarious reasons why most other big books are sent to PGX.

You are mostly right on that Steve.But I saw that x-men 1 8.5 and it was legit.