• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ewert Book on Comic Link
1 1

118 posts in this topic

DD 11 CGC 9.6 has passed through Ewert's hands and has been upgraded from CGC 9.4. It is possible that it was only pressed, but who knows what Ewert may have done. Here is the link to the old thread on these boards:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=332273&fpart=1

Brad's post on the CBCA Boards:

Also up for auction is the infamous Green River Daredevil 11 9.6 which ignited the whole pressing debate over five years ago. It was originally a 9.4 owned by Shin Kao who auctioned it off for charity. It appeared in a Jason Ewert sale subsequently as a 9.6, one of the first clearly identified resubbed and suspected "pressed" highgrade books. Once ID'd the Ebay auction disappeared and the book has since resided in Comiclink's DD CGC registry set. Now it appears ready to meet the public again! Beware of it's curious history!

Here is the looong URL for the DD....

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Ddaredevil%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_866171&id=866171

Mike

We talked about Jason selling on comiclink back in January.

I missed this thread. Is there any irrefutable evidence that it is absolutely him?

And if so has CL been so informed?

Would they even care?

I just sent this to Comic Link:

It has been brought to my attention via the CGC Boards that the Daredevil 11, CGC 9.6 in your current auction is a Jason Ewert book. I am not sure if you are aware of this, but it would be very disappointing to me if you were selling comics for this criminal. If he is one of your clients, I would appreciate it if you would review all the comics I have purchased from your site over the years and let me know if any were submited by Jason. These are not books I want in my collection.

We'll see if I get a response.

Mike

Would they even care?

No.

At this point, I think Doc is correct.

Respectfully, Doc's point is irrelevant. Apathy is never an option.

If enough people demonstrate that "we" - the community - care, than any legitimate/professional seller, and CL falls clearly in that category, will come to "care," whether it wants to or not. At the very least it will react to the concerns in one fashion or another. What that reaction will be may influence its customer base in a positive or negative manner. And no action constitutes a "reaction" as well.

Now, I do not know if this particular book has been trimmed simply because it has gone through Ewert's hands. We should not speculate that simply because it did than it was. There is no reason the book should be tainted due to a previous owner being tainted.

The proper step to take would be, IMHO, for the owner to submit it to CGC to re-examine the book using whatever guidelines it has internally imposed to determine whether the book has been trimmed.

So, in order to nip this conspiracy theory in the bud...

The DD 11 9.6 is/was actually from my personal collection. I thought it was a good time to sell it, because the Rocky Mountain DD's are also in the auction. I didn't know it was on that list. Now that I do, it will be going to CGC for a review (for trimming) prior to being sent to any buyer. The last thing I'd want is for one of our buyers to be affected if it is trimmed. If it turns out to be, obviously we will notify the buyer immediately and there will be no expectation of payment from the buyer. The only loss will be, in this case, mine.

By the way -- when the whole scandal broke way back when about the trimming situation, I came on the boards and declared that if any CGC Graded books that were sold on ComicLink were found to be trimmed by the buyer, we'd return the buyer's money. Other companies then followed suit. So, there is no risk to a buyer (other than the time value of money) if a book on that list is bought on ComicLink and is subsequently resubmitted to CGC (still in the holder) by the buyer and CGC reviews it and finds it to be trimmed. I did this back then to reestablish confidence in the CGC market, at least for the CGC books on ComicLink. It also prevents us from having to review a list every time we post a book!

-Josh

So, in order to nip this conspiracy theory in the bud...

The DD 11 9.6 is/was actually from my personal collection. I thought it was a good time to sell it, because the Rocky Mountain DD's are also in the auction. I didn't know it was on that list. Now that I do, it will be going to CGC for a review (for trimming) prior to being sent to any buyer. The last thing I'd want is for one of our buyers to be affected if it is trimmed. If it turns out to be, obviously we will notify the buyer immediately and there will be no expectation of payment from the buyer. The only loss will be, in this case, mine.

By the way -- when the whole scandal broke way back when about the trimming situation, I came on the boards and declared that if any CGC Graded books that were sold on ComicLink were found to be trimmed by the buyer, we'd return the buyer's money. Other companies then followed suit. So, there is no risk to a buyer (other than the time value of money) if a book on that list is bought on ComicLink and is subsequently resubmitted to CGC (still in the holder) by the buyer and CGC reviews it and finds it to be trimmed. I did this back then to reestablish confidence in the CGC market, at least for the CGC books on ComicLink. It also prevents us from having to review a list every time we post a book!

-Josh

List ? of Ewert books ? and other possible trim job books ? Can we see ? If not, approx. how long is this list ?