• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ewert Book on Comic Link
1 1

118 posts in this topic

List ? of Ewert books ? and other possible trim job books ? Can we see ? If not, approx. how long is this list ?

Here's an Excel spreadsheet of Ewert books: http://home.mchsi.com/~bpmdu/ewert.xls

How long? Two thousand eight hundred and seventy entries.

And here's a link to a thread with a list of books:

Suspected Ewert Books

So, in order to nip this conspiracy theory in the bud...

The DD 11 9.6 is/was actually from my personal collection. I thought it was a good time to sell it, because the Rocky Mountain DD's are also in the auction. I didn't know it was on that list. Now that I do, it will be going to CGC for a review (for trimming) prior to being sent to any buyer. The last thing I'd want is for one of our buyers to be affected if it is trimmed. If it turns out to be, obviously we will notify the buyer immediately and there will be no expectation of payment from the buyer. The only loss will be, in this case, mine.

By the way -- when the whole scandal broke way back when about the trimming situation, I came on the boards and declared that if any CGC Graded books that were sold on ComicLink were found to be trimmed by the buyer, we'd return the buyer's money. Other companies then followed suit. So, there is no risk to a buyer (other than the time value of money) if a book on that list is bought on ComicLink and is subsequently resubmitted to CGC (still in the holder) by the buyer and CGC reviews it and finds it to be trimmed. I did this back then to reestablish confidence in the CGC market, at least for the CGC books on ComicLink. It also prevents us from having to review a list every time we post a book!

-Josh

As I said, a "legitimate/professional" seller would react properly.

Glad to see you posted so early in the thread Josh. Well spoken with respect to the specific issue at hand which has now been defused. (thumbs u

Ewert could be selling through any consignment site. He could be using a business name or consigning under someone else's account. I'm sure it isn't difficult.

Sure, he could be. But it bothers me when supa states unequivocally that Ewert is consigning books to CL. How does he know that?

i think my reputation speaks for itself?

Why not just back up your claim with some solid evidence?

I agree. This is not an issue that can be resolved, or more importantly pursued further, without substantive evidence in hand.

Josh has specifically stated Ewert is not a consignor. That by itself deflects anyone's simple assertion to the contrary.

If there is evidence that Ewert is consigning books to CL, or any other dealer, via a third-party individual or service or under another name, than that information needs to be properly disclosed (whether publicly on the boards or the comic book dealers directly is up to whomever has the information) or else this issue is going nowhere.

Ewert could be selling through any consignment site. He could be using a business name or consigning under someone else's account. I'm sure it isn't difficult.

Sure, he could be. But it bothers me when supa states unequivocally that Ewert is consigning books to CL. How does he know that?

What reputation? This: :whistle: Most of your posts contain :whistle:. If you know so much about everything, enlighten us unworthy peasants.

What reputation? This: :whistle: Most of your posts contain :whistle:. If you know so much about everything, enlighten us unworthy peasants.

Do you manscape?

Do you manscape?

Diggler rolls 70s style with the fur. :whatev:

Do you manscape?

Diggler rolls 70s style with the fur. :whatev:

Hip to hip.

Given supa's instrumental roles in bringing Dupcak's and Schreuder's criminal activities to light, I think he deserves more respect than a relative newcomer such as yourself realizes.

However, having said that, I do think supa should provide SOME evidence to support such an emphastic statement. I don't think it's fair to expect Comiclink to vet every consignor to see if there's really someone else behind the curtain, but on the other hand if legitimate evidence is provided, then it would be Comiclink's responsibility to at least shut down any known accounts that Ewert is using.

List ? of Ewert books ? and other possible trim job books ? Can we see ? If not, approx. how long is this list ?

Here's an Excel spreadsheet of Ewert books: http://home.mchsi.com/~bpmdu/ewert.xls

How long? Two thousand eight hundred and seventy entries.

Okay :o here is the list.

Does CGC contact everyone who registers one of these books ?

No.

The people who got hold of the buyers and advised them of the potential problem were your fellow boardees.

As a 'thank you', CGC deleted the whole thread that initially revealed the actions of Ewert.

No good deed goes unpunished. :/

Given supa's instrumental roles in bringing Dupcak's and Schreuder's criminal activities to light, I think he deserves more respect than a relative newcomer such as yourself realizes.

Super! (thumbs u Even though I'm a "relative newcomer " I feel if he has some info it should be revealed. How many more people need to be ripped off? I sure as hell would prefer not to be.

However, having said that, I do think supa should provide SOME evidence to support such an emphastic statement. I don't think it's fair to expect Comiclink to vet every consignor to see if there's really someone else behind the curtain, but on the other hand if legitimate evidence is provided, then it would be Comiclink's responsibility to at least shut down any known accounts that Ewert is using.

+1 Supa has done a lot of leg work over the years to inform collectors about some of the more unscrupulous tactics and vendors in the marketplace.

As an aside I urge anyone reading these boards to go back and read the DD 11 threads, pay attention to the commentary of some of the established board members around here. There was definitely a anti "your just jealous that Ewert Does it again with HG comic books" deny deny deny to the end really. And of course the final rationalization, "we can't detect it" So even though the extent of all the manipulations FINALLY CAME TO LIGHT, the end result was that the marketplace took very minimal actions to ensure that comic manipulation (I'd say resto but that would see this thread go on for 500 pages) continued, or the vendors performing it ceased to operate.

And really what can they really do? Like it or not HG comics are a pretty turbulent environment. The problem I have always had is the marketing of the serene image of, all these books in 9.6 are untouched, real survivors, when in reality people are pulling out everything they can get away with and still garner a blue label. The individuals who don't "drink the koolaid" or at least ask some common sense questions that call into question the tactics and business practices of comic vendors are dismissed as the vocal minority doh!

Well how about I vocally play devils advocate as someone who still buys HG slabs, though with everything we (I) have learned over the past few years that frequency has subsided.

Some facts....

1. So Jason Ewert sells mirco trimmed and pressed books.

2. His business model is profitable.

3. He gets caught selling pressed and trimmed books

4. CGC removes his vendor / dealer status.

So now I ask, do these facts bar Ewert from entry to the marketplace as a dealer? Do they limit his manipulation tactics?

The logical answer would be NO to point one and MAYBE to point two. I think Ewert is still submitting books to auction houses. His old EBAY auctions were probably the biggest victim of the scandal, meaning he probably relies on auction houses more now than when he was "doing it again" on EBAY.

He is pressing books and maybe trimming them, I mean he got it by CGC once, seems to me trying it again is a good bet, refining your technique (if you believe CGC can 100% detect the old technique) and continue to make money in the marketplace.

The bottom line is that comics are unregulated. It's not like a comic version of the Securities Commission exists.

If you did something that made you money.

If that something was frowned upon by the environment in which the money was made.

If you were aware that is was frowned upon yet continued to do it.

If you were caught doing it.

If the consequences of being caught were minimal to non existing (its not like he had to even pay a fine).

Would anyone with some common sense believe that you would cease to perform the act that made you money and had little to no adverse consequences?

:makepoint:

Well how about I vocally play devils advocate as someone who still buys HG slabs, though with everything we (I) have learned over the past few years that frequency has subsided.

As an indication of how much the shenanigans in this hobby have affected me, back in the day I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on HG slabs--annually. I now spend less than ten thousand dollars on HG slabs each year.

Edited by tth2

As an indication of how much the shenanigans in this hobby have affected me, back in the day I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on HG slabs--annually. I now spend less than ten thousand dollars on HG slabs each year.

Whilst nothing like on the scale of Tim, I've scaled my purchases of high grade slabs to...zero. Simply cannot take the risk and I'm ed if I'm giving unearned income to the 'playas'.

None of which changes the simple fact that if Supa knows that Ewert is selling under another name on CL, he should provide the information.

Sitting around whistling " I know a secret" gets old pretty fast.

Either Supa cares about his fellow collectors or he doesn't.

:hi: Tim, hope all is well in HK.

I know those that have scaled back, I know those who haven't or have increased buying. At the end of the day however all I want is for the collector to be educated; I've always believed that was a duty of me to fellow collectors. If there are people out there trying to manipulate books and still garner blue labels, and I will argue with anyone that this is a FACT. The only thing we can do is pass along the information publicly and have those who buy do with it what they will. The information is quite frankly this:

A professionally graded comic in a CGC blue label may, or may not, have retained a consistent state of condition from the time it was printed and bound until the time it entered the slab. The possibility exists for the comic to have acquired defects and for those defects to be subsequently removed through direct manipulation, and have the comic still receive a blue label designation from CGC.

As another aside, while I respect your decision to sell, I have to say that I really enjoyed seeing your HG DC SA Collection Tim. While I know you have the financial means the diligence with which you obtained those books is still the epitome of a collector.

Hope all is well with my fellow forumites. (except Greggy) :troll:

:jokealert:

I now spend less than ten thousand dollars on HG slabs each year.

Relatively speaking, that is harsh.