• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shopping on the Registry ??

24 posts in this topic

I've had several people go through my registry and contact me with offers to buy books from me.

I usually will sell an undercopy if it's someone I know, but never my high grade books.

I have only done this once in the three years or so I have been on here.

But luckily it was with Dre here. I only asked him because I have had a good buying relationship with him over the years and I knew his collecting habits very well.

I would never just randomly go through someones books and ask to purchase them.

I actually have used the registry as a selling tool. I submitted and received back the first 9.8 copy of Giant-Size Daredevil #1 from CGC a few months ago. I used the registry to identify the top Giant-Sized collectors and made the book available to them via a registry message. Got my asking price right away. I have also been contacted by buyers looking to purchase a few books listed in my registry, but haven't sold any that way.

It didn't really work out for me:

So, I was browsing some members' registry sets and saw a collection that had a book I wouldn't have minded added to my collection, so I messaged the owner and asked them if they might be interested in selling the book. It never hurts to ask, right?

Instead, I get some long winded response about how this book has sentimental value to the collector (which is fine), yet they would be willing to part with it for 80% more than what the last recorded sale of a similar book was. Or if I was willing to trade from a handful of 9.8's they were looking for. Trade one of my modern 9.8s worth twice as much for your modern 9.6...no thank you.

Then they close the response with what seemed to me like a lecture on how collecting is not easy and patience is a virtue. So, I've learned my lesson, no more contacting board members.

Dude, a simple yes or no would have been enough.

I recently bought a book after noticing that another collector had recently upgraded a copy in their registry. I inquired about the undercopy, and after a bit of haggling was able to bring it home for a price that made us both happy. It worked out very well.