• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Micro trimming - How is CGC detecting it ?

57 posts in this topic

What methods is CGC using to detect micro trimming ?

What can the average raw buyer to protect themselves from buying micro trimmed books ?

What changed after the Ewert scandal that CGC can now detect micro trim jobs with ease ?

Why could they not detect them before ?

Was Ewert the only person using the micro trim technique ?

How many people unknowingly have trimmed books in their collection ?

Is Ewert still submitting books through a shill account ?

Is Ewert still selling books ?

Is Ewert still trimming and winning ?

:o

What methods is CGC using to detect micro trimming ?

I don't think they have any new 'methods'. I think Steve Borock said they now knew 'what to look for'.

What can the average raw buyer to protect themselves from buying micro trimmed books ?

Not a lot. However, the likelihood is that the books being micro-trimmed are in slabs, rather than remaining raw. It's the .2 jump from 9.4 to 9.6 that created this beast.

What changed after the Ewert scandal that CGC can now detect micro trim jobs with ease ?

I doubt they can. Additionally, there have been claims made since that micro-trimmed books still get through CGC.

Why could they not detect them before ?

Because it's practically impossible to do so.

Was Ewert the only person using the micro trim technique ?

Doubtful.

How many people unknowingly have trimmed books in their collection ?

Most people who buy uber high-grade Silver Age books.

Is Ewert still submitting books through a shill account ?

Probably.

Is Ewert still selling books ?

Probably.

Is Ewert still trimming and winning ?

Probably.

:o

I did talk to Steve Borock at a dinner about this very thing.When the paper is trimmed the outer edge of the paper will be whiter than the rest of the paper,there is a significant change in contrast.

Although that applies to all trimmed books and would be one of the standard signs that CGC were looking for prior to the Ewert event.

I did talk to Steve Borock at a dinner about this very thing.When the paper is trimmed the outer edge of the paper will be whiter than the rest of the paper,there is a significant change in contrast.

Although that applies to all trimmed books and would be one of the standard signs that CGC were looking for prior to the Ewert event.

Actually, this is one of the weakest ways to detect a trim.

If a book has toning around the perimeter of the page that penetrates in further than the amount that was trimmed off... guess what? The new cut edge will be toned too -- it won't be white.

If CGC found some way to detect the "Ewert microtrim," my sense is that it was that whatever tool Ewert used left a subtle mark along the edge.

If a book has toning around the perimeter of the page that penetrates in further than the amount that was trimmed off... guess what? The new cut edge will be toned too -- it won't be white.

If CGC found some way to detect the "Ewert microtrim," my sense is that it was that whatever tool Ewert used left a subtle mark along the edge.

There are other ways CGC can detect it. I believe Ze-man actually posted one or two examples of how it can be detected, but it was quickly deleted. I can understand why as why would you want the trimmers to know your methods of detection?

There are other ways CGC can detect it. I believe Ze-man actually posted one or two examples of how it can be detected, but it was quickly deleted. I can understand why as why would you want the trimmers to know your methods of detection?

Makes sense to not reveal their detection method but shouldn't they also be able to somehow ensure us that they can detect this micro butchery.

Makes sense to not reveal their detection method but shouldn't they also be able to somehow ensure us that they can detect this micro butchery.

They say they can detect it. You either believe them or you don't. If you don't, don't buy high grade slabs. That's what it boils down to.

How hard would it be to dirty up the edges so as to mask the contrast?

That was done with the infamous Bats #11. The paper was apparently 'aged'. (shrug)

After all the micro trimming came out and CGC stated they could detect it; didn't Dad and Son show a Tomahawk he trimmed that got past CGC using a micro trimming technique? I remember him showing the book with the sliver of paper next to it and then the book in a blue label.