• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bests Comics of Each Decade

55 posts in this topic

1960's - Amazing Spider-Man 1-33, 39-52

Fantastic Four 37-73

Journey Into Mystery/Thor 103-150

Avengers 1-22

1970's - Amazing Spider-Man 100-150

Iron-Fist 1-15

Master Of Kung Fu 1-100

X-Men 94-137

Tomb Of Dracula 1-70

1980's - Amazing Spider-Man 238-289

Daredevil 168-192

Secret Wars 1-12

Thor 337-350

1990's - Sandman

Shade The Changing Man (Milligan/Bachalo issues)

Pre Unity Valiant Books

2000's - Amazing Spider-Man (Vol 2)30 up

100 Bullets

I've seen 'em for sale on ebay. They used to retail for 29.95-34.95 (I think) and now people bid 'em up. They are really great though. I have the first two ASM Masterworks (Issues 1-20). Wish I had picked up the early FF's.

I do have an old paperback from the 70's that contains FF 1-6. I remember reading those as a kid and re-enacting the story lines with my next door neighbor. It was fun, although we had to play multiple parts. The best part is I always got to be Reed and Thing, while my friend got to be Torch and Sue!

Chris

The later Masterworks are all out of print and sell for "stupid money", to borrow a term used on the original art boards. Marvel plans to get all of them back in print but it hasn't happend yet. The last of the FF Masterworks (#41-50) sells for more than double cover price...

Your best bet to read the stories is Essential FF Vol 3, which reprints #41-62 plus Annuals 3+4 in black and white. It retails at $14.95 and should be available from any decent comic book store. Diamond has over 500 copies in stock right now (I just checked) so your local shop should be able to get it for you. At 528 pages for $15 it's a pretty darn good deal...

There were some VERY good black and white comics from the 80's. I particularly liked the Adventurers from Aircel, Black Kiss was interesting, Albedo, Concrete, and even some of the early TMNT stories were good.

Sweet! After work, local comic book shop here I come!

Why did Marvel stop printing the Masterworks? I am a much bigger fan of color, but you're right, $15 is very affordable especially as now I am a little taped out due to some Holiday shopping . . .

Doesn't DC have something where you can order the Archives whenever you want? Seems like it would make more sense . . . .

Black Kiss was interesting

Interesting? I see you are a true master of understatement. I usually preface any discussion of Black Kiss by first feeling out whether or not the person I'm talking to will be so offended by the subject matter and situations they would actually refuse to touch the book for fear of burning in hell.

That does remind that Chaykin's American Flagg was an awesome, ground-breaking, top of the line series. Now that I remember it, it immediately starts to fight its way to the top of my 80s list- with Raul eading the charge. He's threatening to on my head once he gets his hands on me.

Marvel stopped printing the Masterworks because retailers stopped ordering them. It's really that simple. Marvel didn't make a commitment to a 'perpetual stock' model for trades until last year. So anything they printed before that, they just printed what was ordered and forgot about it. Even now they don't commit to keeping EVERY trade in print but they are getting better.

Yes, DC's Archives are available all the time. Every once in a while a Volume will be out of stock for a couple months, but for the most part stores can order any of them at any time.

Loved American Flagg! Sure wish someone would reprint it. Raul was a great character.

I was also a big fan of the following 80's alternative comics:

Nexus

Elric (Pacific)

The Rocketeer

Mage

Dreadstar

Kev

The "colors" in the Masterworks are done in a different tone than the original books, almost to and extreme degree if you ask me.

The ESSENTIALS are a must have ! Just got a few recently and love them!

I highly recommend everybody here to pick up a copy of your favorite.

M

"Loved American Flagg! Sure wish someone would reprint it."

Yes! Jon Sable as well (does anyone remember the very short lived TV series?).

Probably at the top of my most-wanted-reprint list would be the Starlin Metamorphosis Odyssey stories from Epic Illustrated. What a serious pain it is to drag those out!

Great thread!

1940's In addition to Will Eisner's The Spirit (currently reprinted in Archives), I would add Jack Cole's Plastic Man (also in the Archives, up to 4 volumes)

1950's ECs are definitely the ones, but I'm partial to the SF and to Harvey Kurtzman's Two Fisted Tales and Frontline Combat. All have been reprinted over the last 10 years or so as individual $1-$2 comics. Should be able to find them under an eBay search (titles & descriptions) of EC (reprint,reprints). Sort from lowest price to highest, and you'll be sure to have these bubble to the top.

1960's In addition to the Fantastic Four, Amazing Spider Man noted elsewhere, I would point you to Neal Adams' Deadman (reprinted in an expensive hardcover last year, and cheaply in a 7 issue "Baxter" series in the mid 1980's).

1970's Jack Kirby's Fourth World (New Gods, Mr. Miracle, Forever People, Jimmy Olsen) reprinted in TPB grey-tone over the last 3 years or so. I'll also insist you check out Manhunter (My Avatar of course) reprinted last year in a slim TPB with a new story by creators Walt Simonson and the late Archie Goodwin. Finally, lots of great Batman stories I listed in another thread here . Some of those stories have been reprinted in TPBs:

- Tales of the Demon

- Strange Apparitions

- Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told

- Batman in the Seventies

1980's In addition to Miller's Daredevil, Dark Knight Returns, and Moore's Watchmen, check out Moore's first US comics work Saga of the Swamp Thing (4 or 5 volumes now in TPB) and Miracleman (collected in TPB, but even the TPBs are now expensive on eBay).

1990's Gaiman's Sandman (many TPBs) Robinson's Starman (ditto)

2000's Ask me again in 7 years. wink.gif

Cheers,

Z.

I'm glad somebody listed Moore's Swamp Thing. I've always read that it was very good. It's good to have a forum member give it praise. I should be reading it very soon, as I actually had the TPB's on my X-mas list!

Chris