• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little confused on the qualified thing...

74 posts in this topic

Now some people may personally dislike some of the qualified defects that place an otherwise high grade book into the GLOD, and that is certainly their right. They don't have to buy the book. But their personal dislike of those defects should not color an objective view of the book's real condition.

What a rational, well-thought-out summary. Who are you, and what did you do with the previous owner of this account?

:ohnoez:

Now some people may personally dislike some of the qualified defects that place an otherwise high grade book into the GLOD, and that is certainly their right. They don't have to buy the book. But their personal dislike of those defects should not color an objective view of the book's real condition.

The real problem with GLOD is that we don't know what the book's real condition is exactly because CGC doesn't give us the real grade, they give us the imaginary "qualified" grade that the market has no idea how to place a value on. A GLOD is essentially an ungraded book that's gone through a resto check and been placed into a holder, making it an unknown quantity that not many people want to risk their money on. :eek:

So +1 to Sal, the GLOD is stupid. :screwy:

The real problem with GLOD is that we don't know what the book's real condition is exactly because CGC doesn't give us the real grade, they give us the imaginary "qualified" grade that the market has no idea how to place a value on. A GLOD is essentially an ungraded book that's gone through a resto check and been placed into a holder, making it an unknown quantity that not many people want to risk their money on. :eek:

So +1 to Sal, the GLOD is stupid. :screwy:

And therein lies why I am not personally fond of HG books with "one major flaw" landing in a Qualified label. A book with a 4" tear should be graded as a book with a 4" tear. Period.

People can make up their minds if they want an otherwise beautiful 6.5 book with one big tear or not.

It has nothing to do with peoples personal like or dislike of tears. It has everything to do with calling a tear a tear. Not, "if the tear was not there" it would grade such and such.

Books with replaced staples, married covers are different in regards to the rational behind putting them in a Qualified label has nothing to do with ignoring a physical defect or flaw, but more about bringing attention to qualifiable issues.

Aww heck, no matter how I try and spin it I simply cannot get behind the Green label. If a book is not considered restored then assign it a grade, put it in a blue label, and note any important information to the right.

But as Roy said earlier..the Green label performs a valuable service. I just can't figure out if that value leans more towards sellers or buyers.

But as Roy said earlier..the Green label performs a valuable service. I just can't figure out if that value leans more towards sellers or buyers.

Neither--it hurts them both. Confused buyers don't buy.

As a buyer, I love Green label books :cloud9:

Why? I hate them because I never know how much to pay for them since they're ungraded. My only guess is that you can get them on the cheap since so many people avoid them.

As a buyer, I love Green label books :cloud9:

Why? My only guess is that you can get them on the cheap since so many people avoid them.

Correctomundo - many times the "lone defect" is quite tolerable. :) Plus, if it's a book that you've been looking for . . . for a while :cloud9:

I'm contractually obligated to once again point out that the Green label is stupid.

What's stupid to me is that you can request a blue label. Seems to me, there shouldn't be a choice. It's either graded blue or green. :sumo:

I'm contractually obligated to once again point out that the Green label is stupid.

It has been a bone of contention with CGC since it's inception.

In fact, it is only partially stupid.It does provide a valuable service. It's just not providing a complete picture.

I partially agree with part of your post.

You will eventually agree with all of it.

:grin:

:eyeroll: You're far too easy going to be a Borg.

What's stupid to me is that you can request a blue label. Seems to me, there shouldn't be a choice. It's either graded blue or green. :sumo:

If you can request a blue label, what's stopping anyone from requesting a green label? They may prefer that their book that would be a 4.0 but for defect X would actually get the much higher number on the green label. Has anyone ever brought this up? (And no, since someone will probably jump all over this, I did not do a search before asking this.)

If you can request a blue label, what's stopping anyone from requesting a green label? They may prefer that their book that would be a 4.0 but for defect X would actually get the much higher number on the green label. Has anyone ever brought this up? (And no, since someone will probably jump all over this, I did not do a search before asking this.)

It doesn't work that way - CGC decides what defects allow for a qualified label, not you. So whilst you can request a blue label (and subsequent grade drop) instead of the green label, you're not able to do the opposite.

It doesn't work that way - CGC decides what defects allow for a qualified label, not you. So whilst you can request a blue label (and subsequent grade drop) instead of the green label, you're not able to do the opposite.

Yeah it would be sweet to say. "Ignore all the damage on this POS, pretend it is not there and give me a qualified 9.8." :insane:

Yeah it would be sweet to say. "Ignore all the damage on this POS, pretend it is not there and give me a qualified 9.8." :insane:

I actually saw somebody do this a little while back - a guy was listing a bunch of raw SA books on ebay that had all suffered heavy water damage, and were warped, faded & nasty. The condition was listed as "NM (qualified)" :doh:

Yeah, but that gets back to the arguments that people raised about CGC giving out GLODS in the first place. The grade should be the grade inclusive of all defects, not a fantasy land grade a book would get IF. Qualified labels have always seemed arbitrary to me, and seem to cause more problems than they solve.