• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little confused on the qualified thing...

74 posts in this topic

So what would you do with a book that has a married cover or centerfold only. Should that be a PLOD then?

I have a book come back GLOD with a loose centerfold and the book was a 9.4 sold for nothing. I didn't realize the stigma was so strong with the green label.

James G

It's not that the stigma was strong, it's that the book probably went for what a blue lable, loose centerfold book should go for.

Was it a one staple book or a two staple book?

I agree with the replaced staples warranting a PLOD. I also agree about the large tear affecting the grade (and not getting a green label).

I personally think GLOD's should be reserved for unwitnessed sigs (primarily) and popped staples. Any other defect should be just that: a defect.

I am also fine with unwitnessed signatures in GLODs, but why are popped staples a special defect warranting special status? This has never been clear to me. They are visible defects even in a slab, and ought to be downgraded accordingly in a blue label. A popped staple is a partially detached cover. The partially detached cover may be pretty, but no different than a pretty cover with a 5" tear.

I beg to differ that a popped staple is a visible defect in a slab. In many cases it is hard to tell even in hand unless the book is opened.

Here is something I thought about but I'm not sure of the procedure...

Say, for instance, you submit a very nice copy of X-men 14 (like in the 7.0 range) but there is a panel cut out from one of the pages.

What if CGC notified the owner of the book before the final grade was given and gave them a choice of a Universal Blue at actual grade or the Qualified Green at the perceived grade?

Is this just naive in thinking... would everyone obviously take the higher grade?

This is a nice idea but difficult to implement. Do you really expect the graders to put your book on hold while waiting for you to respond ? How long do they wait ?

Not practical.

It's not that the stigma was strong, it's that the book probably went for what a blue lable, loose centerfold book should go for.

No it was stigma I have no other reason for it.

Example

Whiz 50 9.4 sold for around 320

Whiz 52 GLOD loose centerfold 9.4 sold for 86

If the centerfold was still attached the book was a 9.4 this wasn't a issue of a defect that should have hit the grade didn't.

I have seen plenty of books with loose centerfold get blue labels so not sure why some do and some don't.....

James G

Sure, but what would a 6.0 or a 5.0 of the same book sell for?

Guide is about $100 for that book in 6.0 and lately those books have been fetching 60% of guide so is $60 that far off?

I'd say I'm bang on.

Here is something I thought about but I'm not sure of the procedure...

Say, for instance, you submit a very nice copy of X-men 14 (like in the 7.0 range) but there is a panel cut out from one of the pages.

What if CGC notified the owner of the book before the final grade was given and gave them a choice of a Universal Blue at actual grade or the Qualified Green at the perceived grade?

Is this just naive in thinking... would everyone obviously take the higher grade?

This is a nice idea but difficult to implement. Do you really expect the graders to put your book on hold while waiting for you to respond ? How long do they wait ?

Not practical.

Very true... and 'ouch' on that Whiz 9.4!

I agree with the replaced staples warranting a PLOD. I also agree about the large tear affecting the grade (and not getting a green label).

I personally think GLOD's should be reserved for unwitnessed sigs (primarily) and popped staples. Any other defect should be just that: a defect.

I am also fine with unwitnessed signatures in GLODs, but why are popped staples a special defect warranting special status? This has never been clear to me. They are visible defects even in a slab, and ought to be downgraded accordingly in a blue label. A popped staple is a partially detached cover. The partially detached cover may be pretty, but no different than a pretty cover with a 5" tear.

I beg to differ that a popped staple is a visible defect in a slab. In many cases it is hard to tell even in hand unless the book is opened.

I'll grant you that, some popped staples may not be totally obvious. But if you inspect the spine and look for them you can generally find them. They still don't seem to be different than any other defect to me. There are several things that would knock a book down that can be difficult to see or small but still downgrade accordingly. But nobody has ever really explained to me why a popped staple is a special defect warranting special status in a GLOD.

I'll grant you that, some popped staples may not be totally obvious. But if you inspect the spine and look for them you can generally find them. They still don't seem to be different than any other defect to me. There are several things that would knock a book down that can be difficult to see or small but still downgrade accordingly. But nobody has ever really explained to me why a popped staple is a special defect warranting special status in a GLOD.

I don't know if this makes a difference to CGC or not, but it is possible to tuck the blown pages outside the staple back in and you have to really be paying attention to catch the defect at all.

So what would you do with a book that has a married cover or centerfold only. Should that be a PLOD then?

I have a book come back GLOD with a loose centerfold and the book was a 9.4 sold for nothing. I didn't realize the stigma was so strong with the green label.

James G

Yes, to my mind married covers on wraps should be a PLOD. What makes a super HG book really worth the extra dollars is, to my mind, the fact that the book has survived INTACT for many years in a beautiful condition with all of its original parts. When you marry a cover or wrap you ADD a piece to the book. How this cannot be seen as resto is beyond me.

Similarly, when you replace the staple(s) you ADD a piece or two. Again, how this is not seen as restoration is beyond me.

In both cases the book is not comprised of its original parts and should be considered restored.

James G

Yes, to my mind married covers on wraps should be a PLOD. What makes a super HG book really worth the extra dollars is, to my mind, the fact that the book has survived INTACT for many years in a beautiful condition with all of its original parts. When you marry a cover or wrap you ADD a piece to the book. How this cannot be seen as resto is beyond me.

Similarly, when you replace the staple(s) you ADD a piece or two. Again, how this is not seen as restoration is beyond me.

In both cases the book is not comprised of its original parts and should be considered restored.

I also never fully understood how swapping out staples, or covers is not considered some form of restoration. The book underwent a process that cannot ever occur naturally.

Mind you, I am in favor of married covers and replaced staples. They serve a purpose.

But to qualify them only does the term "restoration" a disservice.

No it was stigma I have no other reason for it.

Example

Whiz 50 9.4 sold for around 320

Whiz 52 GLOD loose centerfold 9.4 sold for 86

If the centerfold was still attached the book was a 9.4 this wasn't a issue of a defect that should have hit the grade didn't.

I have seen plenty of books with loose centerfold get blue labels so not sure why some do and some don't.....

James G

loose or detached? a floating centerfold i always considered to be a major defect. knocking that down to a fine price seems pretty reasonable if not generous.

James G

I also never fully understood how swapping out staples, or covers is not considered some form of restoration. The book underwent a process that cannot ever occur naturally.

Mind you, I am in favor of married covers and replaced staples. They serve a purpose.

But to qualify them only does the term "restoration" a disservice.

I, too feel that married covers/wraps and replaced staples (ESPECIALLY replaced staples when they are rusted and threatening the paper) indeed serve a purpose and a good one.

And I agree 1000% that to Qualify them does restoration a disservice.

Well said Kenneth! :hi: