• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlotte Comicon - December 19th

59 posts in this topic

Another big THANKS to Chuck R.

Chuck's Wednesday email

Howdy!

Today's newsletter is coming to you from Ft. Mill, South Carolina. Ashley and I are here spending the day with our friend, Dave Hinson, the very genial owner of Dave's Comics. Dave has a few dozen boxes of overstock back issue comics for us to peruse, so we're going to spend a relaxing day drinking coffee, and looking for issues that we can use to improve our online selection. We could certainly be out and about seeking larger deals, but I have already purchased so many great Golden Age and Silver comics on this trip that I've pretty much used up our budget, and also the space in our rented cargo van. I have a little money set aside for purchasing a few last- minute deals at this weekend's one-day Charlotte convention, ! but even there I have to be restrained due to the space limitations in the van.

Speaking of the Charlotte convention, I highly, highly recommend that you attend this weekend's show if you live anywhere nearby. I don't know what it is about the Charlotte area, but the conventions held in this part of the world are my favorite comics events in the entire country. I love Shelton Drum's Heroes Aren't Hard to Find Conventions (3-day in the summer and 1-day in the winter) and the Charlotte Mini-Cons are equally enjoyable. So you know, what I particularly like about these shows is the genuine warmth and friendliness of both the exhibiting dealers, and the fans from this region. Southern hospitality really is alive and well in Charlotte!

:applause:

Maybe seek permission for use of his quotes for promo use in the future.

For Immediate Release:

Mile High Chuck R.'s shout from the rooftop: "Southern hospitality is outta sight--and Charlotte is the bomb diggity."

:grin:

Another great show today Rick. You were busy when I was leaving, but had a great time walking around the room. Even though I didn't buy anything today, I got to catch up a little with Marc and a bunch of the dealers. I spoke with Shelton about the Savannah collection and got to see the list of books coming up in the February Heritage auction :o . David Shankle and Burns had some very nice stuff also. Marc and I got to talk with Chris for quite a bit.

Thanks for another terrific show.

— Rick

50 cent boxes were rocking today! Nice amount of 70s Marvels, Disney Gold Keys, and stuff like All Star Comics and 35 cent Flash's 2/$1 (all 8.0+) from the guy you face as soon as you walked in (dont know his name). Pulled some super nice 6.0-8.0 Barks WDC&S from the 150-180 range in Earl's $5 boxes. All of them still had $30-50 price tage on them. Other random stuff but those were the highlights. Spoke to Shelton about the Savannah pickup. Saw Chuck talking alot and bragging about how he spent $30K that week buying books, so he was really there just killing time and not taking it too seriously (probably why I saw zero books purchased from him).

Got this GORGEOUS 9*12 Black Canary from Chrissie Zullo for just $20!!!

zullobc.jpg

Thanks Rick and Sam (thumbs u

Other board members that showed up were Sal, finecomics, Elijah Snow, creeps, and Nikelspot.

Good seeing all you guys!!

We had 427 through the door. Most we've ever had. Saw lots of new faces.

Some people said they did fantastic, some others, not so good. Think the economy is still biting a little. Wish we could have scheduled it for after Christmas like they've been in the past. Think more money would have been spent. Can't next year either, but maybe in 2012.

I'll try and get some pics up soon