• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil #1 Club

612 posts in this topic

I posted this elsewhere, but it fits here as well.

(I'll try to get a scan of the comic tonight, although it's not particularly exciting compared to some of these other high-grade beauties.)

I was talking to a friend the other day about how I got my Daredevil #1.

It was in 1986 and I was 14 years old. I was a recent subscriber to CBG and it was late summer, just after my birthday. (So I was flush.) There was a four-page ad for an upcoming mail/phone auction, and one of the books offered was a Daredevil #1 in Good condition. The estimate was $30-$50.

The phone part took place on a Sunday evening, and I snuck away from mother to make a long-distance call and place a bid for $38 dollars. With postage and the auction fee, that was the most I could afford.

I waited.

A week later, I got a letter in the mail saying that I had won, and I needed to mail a money order for $49. So I rode my bike to the post office with every last cent of my birthday cash and mailed it off. About two weeks later (or what seemed like 8 years), the package came.

It was the most exciting day of my young life. I could barely even read it, my hands were shaking so much. It's still my most prized piece in my collection (although many other comics are more valuable and were more difficult to find).

It took me another 5 years to finish my Daredevil collection -- #2 was the last one -- and I have to say that since the Internet and eBay and countless store websites, finishing up a run has never been as exciting.

You are wrong, This is "particularly exciting" I would rather see a low grade book with a story, than a HG scan with nothing.

This is exactly what we like to read, the way you aquired your book and the stories behind them.

I did similar things myself, sending cash $$s in the post to US to dealers ( My mother would have had a fit if she knew) and waiting for months for surface mail to get my book.

I cant wait to see the scan of your book :applause::popcorn:

I posted this elsewhere, but it fits here as well.

(I'll try to get a scan of the comic tonight, although it's not particularly exciting compared to some of these other high-grade beauties.)

I was talking to a friend the other day about how I got my Daredevil #1.

It was in 1986 and I was 14 years old. I was a recent subscriber to CBG and it was late summer, just after my birthday. (So I was flush.) There was a four-page ad for an upcoming mail/phone auction, and one of the books offered was a Daredevil #1 in Good condition. The estimate was $30-$50.

The phone part took place on a Sunday evening, and I snuck away from mother to make a long-distance call and place a bid for $38 dollars. With postage and the auction fee, that was the most I could afford.

I waited.

A week later, I got a letter in the mail saying that I had won, and I needed to mail a money order for $49. So I rode my bike to the post office with every last cent of my birthday cash and mailed it off. About two weeks later (or what seemed like 8 years), the package came.

It was the most exciting day of my young life. I could barely even read it, my hands were shaking so much. It's still my most prized piece in my collection (although many other comics are more valuable and were more difficult to find).

It took me another 5 years to finish my Daredevil collection -- #2 was the last one -- and I have to say that since the Internet and eBay and countless store websites, finishing up a run has never been as exciting.

You are wrong, This is "particularly exciting" I would rather see a low grade book with a story, than a HG scan with nothing.

This is exactly what we like to read, the way you aquired your book and the stories behind them.

I did similar things myself, sending cash $$s in the post to US to dealers ( My mother would have had a fit if she knew) and waiting for months for surface mail to get my book.

I cant wait to see the scan of your book :applause::popcorn:

+1 :cloud9:

That is SWEET for a 4.5?! Has to be back cover issues, no? hm

Really nice looking copy! I'd love to own an old label copy someday. :cloud9:

Welcome to the Club! :foryou:

Thanks! I've had this book for over a decade, just the scanner that's new. I've got to join the ASM 1 club and a bunch of others now too! I'll be throwing up a bunch in the GA section eventually. Here's the back cover:

5ufwj4.jpg