• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty sure this was Not the type of publicity the WB wanted for Green Lantern.

122 posts in this topic

From Bleeding Cool

“Just Seen The Green Lantern Trailer…Why Is He Not A Black Guy?” Submitted by Rich Johnston on November 22, 2010 – 6:15 am

It was one of those oddities I came across a couple of years ago. Most people who have heard of Green Lantern, think he’s black.

When I say “most people”, I’m not talking comic readers. Comic readers are not most people.

And, indeed, most people have never actually heard of Green Lantern.

But of those who have, they are more likely to have come across Green Lantern on the more recent Justice League cartoons, than have read the comic. And the Green Lantern who appears in that cartoon? John Stewart. An human Green Lantern – who happens to be black. The choice of Lantern was clearly made to diversify the otherwise horrendously white (and green) team – something that has often not bothered the comic book version.

So, with these millions of viewers who believe that Green Lantern is black, a number seem to have been surprised to see the trailer for the movie. Which shows the white Green Lantern character portrayed by a white actor.

And Twitter is exploding.

booker22 I could’ve sworn that he was black in the cartoons… Now they make a movie and turn the green lantern white…

AYOPHOTOGRAPHY I thought the Green Lantern was Black O_o

PhaaatAlbert I love Ryan Renolds, but GREEN LANTERN WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BLACK!

gorgeous_poison i thought the green lantern was black ? yo they tripping !

madylove09 So. If I’m not mistaken, isn’t The Green Lantern black?

0h_So_LawLess: Green Lantern movie coming out. The have a white guy playing him. Smh, one of the only black superheros and they made him white. Smh.

Frizellikz_: Ok isn’t the Green Lantern sapposed to be a BLACK super hero?<=hell yea dey played us

Prissy_Coco: The Green Lantern suppose to be black right? So why am I looking at a white n his suit black ppl can’t have mess”

shotgun_BANG :Theres a green lantern movie & i’m MADDDDD upset because he’s supposed to be black!

Dace_Face The green lantern is black .. Now why in the movie he white

wtfryank: The green lantern is supposed to be black. Ryan Reynolds say whaaat?

JaiBella14: Why is green lantern ryan reynolds he’s black in the comics I thought??? // That’s what I be sayin.

sc4bway: Just saw The Green Lantern movie preview and the green lantern is white! Thats the only black superhero!

Mack_FBMG: Hey The green Lantern Is BLACK! WTF IS THIS WHITE GUY LMAO!

Impala_ryder: They making a green lantern movie and the main character is white…..everybody kno the green lantern was BLACK…..smdh

niki71891: Soooo DC comcis…….gonna make the green lantern……white…. suppose 2 be BLACK!!!

longliveamour: Uh Uh! Green Lantern supposed to be black!!!!

zacflywalker: Harry potter is siiiiick still pissed that the green lantern isn’t a black man anymore!

AsiaLikeTheTown: The Green Lantern trailer doesn’t look remotely entertaining…especially since the original Green Lantern was a black dude!

Eiofhighrollers: Just Seen The Green Lantern Trailer…Why Is He Not A Black Guy?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11/22/just-seen-the-green-lantern-trailer-why-is-he-not-a-black-guy/

It amazes me just how stupid people actually are. Seriously, the internet is your friend so try doing a bit of research before flipping out about the ethnicity of a character. I swear, every time I come across something I don't get, grasp, understand, or question, I hit the internet. mess, the net even on my phone now. Instead, its a bunch of wildly_fanciful_statement posted by lazy who know nothing of the character. ok, rant over...

I actually think people, in this case, are to blame for not Wikipediaing or Googling this before hand.

Really. As was posted above, if you watch the JLA cartoon and GL portrayed in the cartoon is Stewart, who is a black man, why should you have to use Google or Wiki? You think, and rightly so, you know the answer. Maybe the fault should be DC's, they should decide which character they want to be the public face of their characters.

Who cares what they do in comics, but when you have a great cartoon show like the JLA that millions? of viewers have seen, this is something that DC/WB should have thought about. Maybe they should hire someone/a division to oversee the continuity of DC characters as they are portrayed on TV/Movies. Earth X doesn't work for movie goers, it just confuses them.

I actually think people, in this case, are to blame for not Wikipediaing or Googling this before hand.

Really. As was posted above, if you watch the JLA cartoon and GL portrayed in the cartoon is Stewart, who is a black man, why should you have to use Google or Wiki? You think, and rightly so, you know the answer. Maybe the fault should be DC's, they should decide which character they want to be the public face of their characters.

Who cares what they do in comics, but when you have a great cartoon show like the JLA that millions? of viewers have seen, this is something that DC/WB should have thought about. Maybe they should hire someone/a division to oversee the continuity of DC characters as they are portrayed on TV/Movies. Earth X doesn't work for movie goers, it just confuses them.

While I agree somewhat, I still think that if you can use Twitter, surely you can use Google.

The film is going to be poop anyway, so don't worry about it.

Unfortunately you are probably right....why can't we have a nice Iron Man surprise from DC. Personally I think Iron Man is the best comic movie ever as they turned a B character into an A level character, not just a good job with an A level character. Keep hoping Marvel and/or DC can follow up with something even close to Iron Man success for Bish level characters.

While I agree somewhat, I still think that if you can use Twitter, surely you can use Google.

:idea: New phone app idea! Twiggle!