• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThunderMace question

11 posts in this topic

ok, I feel weird asking a question about an obscure 80's B&W book, but I'd really like to figure this out. I have the first three issues of ThunderMace and hope to eventually complete the set in one of my many bargain box searches.

The problem I have is that I can't figure out which book is the very first version of ThunderMace #1. According to a web page I found from the creator of the book, the first version of #1 had a black, white and red cover, and was limited to 1,000 copies. Then, according to the page, the book was "picked up by the comic distributors" and then the version of #1 with the full color cover was released, with a print run of 20,000 copies. I assume this is still considered a "1st printing" as neither of the copies I have are called a "2nd printing" inside the book.

Later, according to the letters page, there was also a 2nd printing. Mile High has a picture posted as the 2nd printing, but it looks exactly like the black, white and red cover from the initial 1,000 copy print run. However, as we all know, Mile High has been known to have errors in their listings.

Can anyone confirm what cover the 2nd printing of ThunderMace #1 has, and if it indeed does have the same cover as the 1,000 copy first version, is there any way to tell the difference between the two?

Here are links to the web pages I mentioned above:

http://www.rakgraphics.com/thundermace.html

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=87745046620&snumber=1

Thanks for any help!

I think it's a mistake on MHC's website. I followed that book pretty heavily as a local guy who ran Jolly Roger Comics used to buy as many copies of that limited B&W 1st prinitng as he could. He thought it was the next Turtles #1 or Albedo #2. When Kraus was making appearances early in his career hyping the book, he would regularly sign those limited editions. The fact that the only one that MHC has is signed, makes me think that's what this is.

You could always buy it from MHC and find out. $14.60 for one of the first printings isn't too steep as they are very hard to find.

On more thing on that book... yes the B&W is the first printing. It was sent out in advance to hype the book in advance of the color covered version. It came out at least a few months earlier. If I remember correctly, it has some additional artwork that did not appear in the color covered version. I think the back cover was different. At the high point in the market, hdealers were asking $75-125 for copies.

It was also printed on a different paper. It had a grittier feel and was slightly more yellow than the other version which was smooth and white.

I think I know way too much about this book!

On more thing on that book... yes the B&W is the first printing. It was sent out in advance to hype the book in advance of the color covered version. It came out at least a few months earlier. If I remember correctly, it has some additional artwork that did not appear in the color covered version. I think the back cover was different. At the high point in the market, hdealers were asking $75-125 for copies.

It was also printed on a different paper. It had a grittier feel and was slightly more yellow than the other version which was smooth and white.

I think I know way too much about this book!

Thanks for your help with this!

I believe that auction has been listed and re-listed on eBay quite a few times. I thought about buying it a few times, but I already have a copy and didn't want to pay that much for a second. Always hoping I can find a copy of this in a bargain bin, but it hasn't happened.

Boy you made sure I'd feel really bad about this purchase huh lol

$11 for this book is a steal (bought multiple items from seller who combined shipping)

But hey, if you come across it in a dollar bin anytime in the next 10 years, please let us know (thumbs u

But hey, if you come across it in a dollar bin anytime in the next 10 years, please let us know (thumbs u

But dammit, all that time and effort will certainly be worth saving that extra $10. :roflmao:

Boy you made sure I'd feel really bad about this purchase huh lol

$11 for this book is a steal (bought multiple items from seller who combined shipping)

Sorry, I was not trying to disparage your purchase. I bought my copy from Mile High around the time I started this thread and paid more than you did, so I can see the value in the book. I was just saying that I'd like to find other copies of this book and I do frequent eBay searches for it, so I have seen the listing many times before. I'm a notorious cheapskate, so for an extra copy, I wouldn't be willing to go as high in price as I did for my first copy.

But dammit, all that time and effort will certainly be worth saving that extra $10. :roflmao:

I find going though bargain boxes enjoyable and don't mind spending the "time and effort".