• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Amazing Fantasy #15

32 posts in this topic

Got a few questions about my copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. You can see it here...

http://www.howardhallis.com/restoration/

Anyway, I've had this book since I was 13. (Payed $75 for it. At the time it was the most money I spent on anything!) Now I'm thinking of getting it restored. Anyone on the boards know a good place to send it? Anyone have a guesstimation how much I would be spending to get this comic looking nice? If there is a restoration service that could give me a quote after looking at my scans instead of giving me one after I send the book, that would be ideal. I have no experience in researching the comic restoration field, so any advice would be helpful.

Another question. Stan Lee will be at Wizard World Los Angeles. Should I have him sign the book there? Any way that CGC can recognize an official Stan Lee signature if I bring it fresh from the table with a polaroid of him signing it, or should I avoid doing this all together?

Also, out of curiosity, what do you think CGC would grade this unrestored? 1.0? 1.5? 2.0?

Have Stan Lee sign the comic on margin of pg. 1. Slab the comic & hope the CGC deacidification paper can help stabilize the yellow pages.

Cost of heavy pro resto on this key may be about 1/2 the Ostreet raw value of the actual comic.

Else buy some interleaving sheets from Tracey Heft to help deacidify the covers & yellow pages at www.eclipsepaper.com 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Talk to Matt Nelson at www.comicrestoration.com. This is right up his alley. You can email him directly from the website. I would probably restore this book if it were mine, or at least get it deacidified. I wouldn't restore it to increase it's value though -- I'd get it restored to keep it from falling apart, which it appears to be doing, a piece at a time.

Restoration is going to cost quite a bit though, because you need extensive professional work to recreate the art on the pieces that will need to be added along the edges. You should not expect to recoup the costs of restoration if you try to resell right away. It may take owning the book for another five to ten years before the value of the book makes the resto worth the price you paid.

Got a few questions about my copy of Amazing Fantasy #15. You can see it here...

Anyway, I've had this book since I was 13. (Payed $75 for it. At the time it was the most money I spent on anything!) Now I'm thinking of getting it restored. Anyone on the boards know a good place to send it? Anyone have a guesstimation how much I would be spending to get this comic looking nice? If there is a restoration service that could give me a quote after looking at my scans instead of giving me one after I send the book, that would be ideal. I have no experience in researching the comic restoration field, so any advice would be helpful.

Another question. Stan Lee will be at Wizard World Los Angeles. Should I have him sign the book there? Any way that CGC can recognize an official Stan Lee signature if I bring it fresh from the table with a polaroid of him signing it, or should I avoid doing this all together?

Also, out of curiosity, what do you think CGC would grade this unrestored? 1.0? 1.5? 2.0?

Oh, by the way -- don't bother getting it autographed. It isn't going to add to the value of the book. Also, CGC won't give it a yellow label unless Stan signs it in front of a CGC employee. Photographs won't be enough.

if you want Stans autograph, have him write you a note and sign it, or on an 8x10 clossy, or trading card. Why mix your comics and affection for Stan? And damage your comic unneccessarily?

If you get the book signed inside, CGC gives it a Blue label. So I don't think they consider it damage.

"Why mix your comics and affection for Stan?"

Because you can't separate the two!!!! 27_laughing.gif

Stan actually encountered this book before!

I took this book to UCLA back when Stan spoke there a few years back. Some young kid in the audience asked him how Spider-Man began and he started talking about Amazing Fantasy #15. I couldn't resist. I said "I have one right here!" Stan took it from me, held it up and said "This is a very valuable book! You should be careful with this one!" and proceeded to tell the story about he and Ditko developed the character. One of my proudest comic book moments! Later, he signed the bag it was in.

Thing is, now that I want to restore it and slab it, Stan's signature on the original bag will be gone. I know autographs can go either way in terms of increasing or decreasing the value of a certain item, but in this case, I feel that Stan Lee's or Steve Ditko's would mean a heck of a lot to me, and since getting Steve Ditko's autograph is probably about as likely as getting JD Salinger to sign you a copy of Catcher In The Rye, I think getting Stan to do it at the convention will be worth waiting in line for!

If anything it'll be something to tell my kids someday (if they end up reading comics!)

stan1.jpg

stan2.jpg

stansignature1.jpg

Stan actually encountered this book before!

I took this book to UCLA back when Stan spoke there a few years back. Some young kid in the audience asked him how Spider-Man began and he started talking about Amazing Fantasy #15. I couldn't resist. I said "I have one right here!" Stan took it from me, held it up and said "This is a very valuable book! You should be careful with this one!" and proceeded to tell the story about he and Ditko developed the character. One of my proudest comic book moments! Later, he signed the bag it was in.

Great story and pics! 893applaud-thumb.gif

My guess = 1.5

That bad perimeter, with the spine almost spliting, and major marvel chipping, would normally grade no higher than 1.0 Fair. But the cover has nice eye appeal and few creases so I think 1.5 is the grade. 1.8 would be pushing it... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone know if CGC is doing live grading at Wizard World Los Angeles? Maybe I can have them slab the book there and Stan can sign the slab. Of course, this would mean I couldn't get the book restored in time though. Looking at CGC's site, they don't say they'll be doing live grading, but they will be there. Will they just be set up for submissions?

Also, anyone know if any professional comic book restoration people will be at Wizard World LA? I'd love to show them the book in person and get a quote live!

Thanks for all the replies.

So I gave my AF 15 to Peter Dixon of Paradise Comics at Wizard World Los Angeles today. Instead of getting it restored, I've decided to let him get Stan Lee's signature on it and get the book a yellow signature series CGC banner.

I was really reluctant to do this, as I thought the book needed a bit of restoration work on the spine before I wanted it slabbed.

What does everyone think? Do you think a 1.0 - 1.5 unrestored in a yellow signature series is better or worse than an apparent 3.0 restored?

What does everyone think? Do you think a 1.0 - 1.5 unrestored in a yellow signature series is better or worse than an apparent 3.0 restored?

If 3.0 is the best it can be restored to, I wouldn't waste my time. I would definitely get it in the unrestored Signature Series if I were you...mainly for the reason that you have met him before PLUS the fact that he has actually handled your book to show everyone else. It can serve as a momento to when you met Stan the Man. And unless you plan on reselling this item, the real question is, which do YOU prefer?

Just got my Amazing Fantasy 15 back from Paradise Comics (the folks that do the CGC signature series!) and figured I'd share. I've seen much worse 1.0's out there, but still... tongue.gif

af15.jpg

Nevertheless, I think it was the best decision. To me, an AF 15 signed by Stan Lee in 1.0 is better than a 3.0 with a PLOD. Thanks a million to Peter Dixon for making this happen!!

I also got back my signed Strange Tales #110 (the first appearance of my fave Dr. Strange!)

st110.jpg

Your comic makes me drool. I met Stan Lee too once. I didn't have an amazing Fantasy 15 though. Had him sign some 30th anniversay Amazing Spidermans, some bronze FFs and a copy of (cough) (cough) Ravage #1.....

I was ten years old at the time and was wearing a BatMan shirt to his signing. He got a little mad about that. lol.

You gonna put that beautiful comic on ebay? I don't care if it is a 1.0

It's AF 15 for god's sake and signed by stan da man. You are a lucky fellow.