• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I won this book and am happy about that, BUT...

36 posts in this topic

...something just doesn't feel right about the bidding! For the sake of me not giving away this transaction, I will not name the book or the exact monies, but go with an example of what happened:

The book had 2 low bids: $17 & $20 before I placed a max bid of $90 on it. I could not be present during the final moments of the auction, so I went with a number that had a decent chance. When I checked on the auction after it had ended I was please to see that I had won it, but my winning bid was only $2.00 under my max bid at $88. There had been only 4 bids placed...the first two low ones, my max bid and then a bid that was $3 dollars lower than my max bid = $87.

Now I find it odd that when I put my max bid in, the "Current bid:" showed as $25, so why would somebody come along and throw in one bid for $3 under my max bid? If this was somebody who saw the "Current bid" price at $25, wouldn't they put in a bid of something more like $30 and see what happens from there? If you put a bid in that isn't enough eBay tells you that you aren't the highest bidder as everyone knows, so why would anyone happen to throw out a bid just $3 under my max? Thats a pretty big coincidence!

So my question is this, when you do as I did and put up a max bid, can the seller see what that max bid is? Or is it also invisible to them like any other potential buyer? Because this feels like the seller of this book used another account to place a bid after he saw my max bid, just so he can at least get that much for it.

If the book is worth $90 to you, it's going to be worth the same to others. If it was a shill bid (which I highly doubt), it was a bloody lucky one.

Sounds like you put in a bid that you considered to be a fair price to pay for the item.

What's so shocking about somebody else putting a similar value on it? ???

Well the actual bid that was placed was more like $88.88 to my $90 bid...just seemed odd, more than just a shot in the dark bid..

I get that now, thanks...just never happened that way before to me and I wasn't sure if the seller could see it or not.

I remember selling something that went to $600 (I think) and some zero feedback bidder had placed 20 or so bids at minimum increment right up until they were immediately below the ultimately winning bidder. It couldn't possibly have looked dodgier.

The buyer didn't say anything but I felt embarrassed thinking that he must have assumed I'd shilled it myself.

Point being, sometimes honest bids look really shady!

I remember selling something that went to $600 (I think) and some zero feedback bidder had placed 20 or so bids at minimum increment right up until they were immediately below the ultimately winning bidder. It couldn't possibly have looked dodgier.

The buyer didn't say anything but I felt embarrassed thinking that he must have assumed I'd shilled it myself.

Ditto. I've had a few auctions like that myself.

(thumbs u

Ditto. I've had a few auctions like that myself.

(thumbs u

I've had it happen as a buyer. It's like fishing. Sometimes people make a bunch of small bids in increments in the hope that one of them will top the high bidder. I remember one time, the person made like 8 bids and then stopped just short of my max bid. One more bid and he would have topped me. lol

Sounds like you put in a bid that you considered to be a fair price to pay for the item.

Well the actual bid that was placed was more like $88.88 to my $90 bid...just seemed odd, more than just a shot in the dark bid..

That actually sounds like me - what was the book? My typical bid would be 87.88, and you're proxy would bump it to 88.88.....,

Doesn't seem fishy at all. Two bidders felt the book was worth around the same maximum amount. One throws out a $90 max bid and the other might be more comfortable with around $80, but ups their max by 10% so they aren't outbid by just a couple bucks.

66.66 - my usual bid.