• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Journey Into Mystery #83

11 posts in this topic

The "JO" discoloration appears to be some sort of printing ink flaw. I do not see any staining around it or anything like that, and you can see the red starting to form in the "O". The horizontal crease from the lower right edge is a printers crease, as is the horizontal crease from the left edge of the back cover. Other things to clarify, the larger bend in the lower right does extend to the right edge, but it is very light. The total length is 2 1/4", with about 1 1/4" breaking color at all. The upper left corner has a < 1/4" spine split stemming from the 3/8" x 1/16" piece out / tear that is evident.

Thanks in advance!

jim083.jpg

jim083b.jpg

Regarding the color in the JO, it appears to me that the whole area around the JO seems to be darker. Look at the 12 cent circle, it looks dark. I suspect the JO is a color loss situation rather than a printing issue.

The bottom right corner creases alone probably keep it no higher than 5.5. Depending on their decision with the JO area I'm thinking 4.5 to 5.0 .

Sorry, I have a feeling you want it to grade higher but I don't think so. It's a nice book, and will have great eye appeal for a 4.5/5.0 but it is what it is.

Regarding the color in the JO, it appears to me that the whole area around the JO seems to be darker. Look at the 12 cent circle, it looks dark. I suspect the JO is a color loss situation rather than a printing issue.

The bottom right corner creases alone probably keep it no higher than 5.5. Depending on their decision with the JO area I'm thinking 4.5 to 5.0 .

Sorry, I have a feeling you want it to grade higher but I don't think so. It's a nice book, and will have great eye appeal for a 4.5/5.0 but it is what it is.

Not a bad analysis, but I disagree. I can't tell without the book in hand, but to claim that's a color fade is a tad over the top. This book will be graded 6.0 by CGC - no matter what the suspected origin of the color depletion. Period. :grin:

Thanks for the replies so far. What I had in mind was the book was much nicer than whatever grade it actually gets, as to me, it is structurally and visually much more attractive than it's grade range. No major creasing, spine is great, color is actually still blue (vs the greys of most issues I've seen).

All that being said, I thought it was a really nice 5.5/6.0, probably something like a 5.8 or 5.9 that didn't quite make the 6.0 grade. I know this is going a little to deep into it, but I was thinking it had something like the following statistical chances at each grade. Keep in mind, I'm pretty new to the whole grading game, so this is basically mindless babble:

45% 5.5

25% 6.0

15% 5.0

10% 6.5

5% 4.5