• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Gift Certificates. Why not?

36 posts in this topic

My brother told me that this year he wanted to get me a gift certificate for my comic grading hobby.

He called CGC and spoke with Gemma. (She was very pleasant, as always.)

Anyway, she tells him that they get many calls about this every year, but never have anything to offer.

Why would any business pass up such a great revenue stream? (shrug)

It is nothing but free money now to the business and a certain percentage of people forget and never redeem them. It could only be good for CGC as I see it.

Who here would like to see CGC start up a gift certificate program?

I know I would.

Chime in and maybe we could make this a reality someday.

Edited by Arcade

Whoever CGC is using as a merchant acquirer most probably has a gift card program they could add to their account.

Then it is just locking down what image(s) they want to use on the cards or in any electronic gift cards distributed.

Too easy to make happen.

Whoever CGC is using as a merchant acquirer most probably has a gift card program they could add to their account.

Then it is just locking down what image(s) they want to use on the cards or in any electronic gift cards distributed.

Too easy to make happen.

I figure they could just print off certificates like they do for the 3 free subs with the membership, as a minimum.

It would be REALLY easy hm

Personally I hate getting gift certificates. I'd prefer to get cash - I can spend it wherever I want, whenever I want. Sometimes I have forgotten to use gift cards, lost them, they have expired, or I don't even shop at the places where I get the cards. Okay, enough of my personal preference and with that said, I'd go along with why not seems like it would be worth trying and could be a money maker for CGC.

Personally I hate getting gift certificates. I'd prefer to get cash - I can spend it wherever I want, whenever I want. Sometimes I have forgotten to use gift cards, lost them, they have expired, or I don't even shop at the places where I get the cards.

You're talking about closed-loop gift cards (can only be used with that one store/chain). Walmart and many other retailers have started going down the open-loop path, allowing for their gift cards to be used at any company accepting Visa.

What I really hate is when they would charge you for not using the gift card soon enough. The new financial service laws released recently had special rules so gift card issuers can't charge you a dormancy fee for non-use (or at least limit how soon they can charge a fee).

Personally I hate getting gift certificates. I'd prefer to get cash - I can spend it wherever I want, whenever I want. Sometimes I have forgotten to use gift cards, lost them, they have expired, or I don't even shop at the places where I get the cards.

I also despise getting and giving gift cards, for all the reasons you stated.

From now on I am going to write "Use anyFREAKINwhere, Gift Card" on any Cash I give for Christmas.

Just have your brother call PGX, I hear they offer gift certificates.

:roflmao:

Glad to hear so many positive responses though. (thumbs u

:jokealert:

Personally I hate getting gift certificates. I'd prefer to get cash

I totally agree. Whenever I get a GC invariably it's at the place where item X I want is the most expensive. With cash or Vanilla MC that is never an issue.

No brainer...why wouldnt they do it? CGC? anyone?

Because CGC is a monopoly and they don't need the extra hassle.

You can bet that if there were multiple (quality) competitors in the field, that CGC would be actively promoting their Holiday Gift Card program every chance they got.

But monopolies don't have to do that, we *must* come to them anyway.