• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

high grade is not fun anymore

157 posts in this topic

joe collector i don't know if your trying to engage me in anything other then a civil discussion?

I'm just trying to make sure people understand the FACTS, not just those that you choose to dole out piece-meal based on when you started buying graded coins.

THERE WAS A CRASH IN THE GRADED COIN MARKET

IT WAS A SERIOUS MARKET CRASH OF MONUMENTAL PROPORTIONS

You stated otherwise on multiple occasions, which could be very harmful to those who do not know the facts, and I'm just setting the record straight.

well, your opinion of a upcoming crash in the graded CGC market is just that, a opinion....

because there was a crash in another area of collectibles doesn't neccessarly say that this will happen with CGC, however,

you do bring up valid points.....

Folks a crash could also be seen as a great buying oppertunity..

thats what I will do, I'll buy tons of stuff...

The only crash I foresee will affect prices that don't concern me anyway. I think the $19,000 (or whatever) Hulk 181 may crash to $5000. But the $50-$500 8.0-9.4 comics I buy probably won't come down too far. Others that will drop will be the 9.9 or 10.0 common comics. I can see those selling for $50 instead of $300.

Folks a crash could also be seen as a great buying oppertunity..

thats what I will do, I'll buy tons of stuff...

893applaud-thumb.gif That's what I'm waiting for... the time when prices come back down to a level that I can buy at. As of now I just don't see how I'll ever be able to afford my X-Men #1, but with a crash... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

because there was a crash in another area of collectibles doesn't neccessarly say that this will happen with CGC, however

It's not about valid points, it's about facts.

For example, I've made money on the NASDAQ over the last few years, but I'd certainly never sugar-coat the momentous crash of 2000-1 to anyone who asked.

Plus, anyone who knows the deal can smell these things a mile away. I've never been caught in any crash, and if anything, I tend to get out a bit too early and lose a bit of the top-end. Better safe than sorry I always say. thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif That's what I'm waiting for... the time when prices come back down to a level that I can buy at. As of now I just don't see how I'll ever be able to afford my X-Men #1, but with a crash... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Where were you guys in 1985-87, right after the last crash, when raw NM books could be had for cut-rate prices?

It's always the same story; prices and demand are topping out and people are talking about "what they would buy" when prices drop. All I can say is that it's really tough to make the hard calls when the blood is flowing and prices are in free-fall, not to mention that most sellers are reluctant to list top-end books until years later.

Plus, anyone who knows the deal can smell these things a mile away. I've never been caught in any crash, and if anything, I tend to get out a bit too early and lose a bit of the top-end. Better safe than sorry I always say. thumbsup2.gif

And this is why it's better to be a pure collector than a speculator. A crash doesn't affect a collector as much because they aren't usually looking to sell anyway. At some point the prices will go back up and they can get out then if they want. You're only screwed if you have tons of money dumped into books that you are trying to flip.

confused-smiley-013.gif

For example, I've made money on the NASDAQ over the last few years, but I'd certainly never sugar-coat the momentous crash of 2000-1 to anyone who asked.

I am sitting on roughly 20,000 shares of Intel stock, some purchase over 5 -6 splits ago.....

the drop of the NASDAQ was terrible for me, yet i still remained on the upside because some of these shares were purchased starting in 1986.....

I am waiting for this one to rebound......

If yoiu have a good eye and sense for the markets, thats a good thing...

because even the professionals argue about this stuff everyday...

It's not about valid points, it's about facts.

Think about the greatest stock crashes: 1929, 1987, and 2000. They were always preceeded by unprecedented growth. I bought into it in 1999. I didn't own alot of stock, but had Intel options (I work there), and would forecast future stock value with co-workers, based on a "conservative" 50% growth projection. We wanted to be cautious. foreheadslap.gif

After the crash, I thought to myself, why didn't anyone see this coming? Dot coms at 600/share? What were we thinking? Why can't the same idea be applied to CGC? We've never seen prices like this for post-1970 comics.

I agree a crash is inevitable. But the question is, when and to what extent? Like I said, I think it will affect the crazy multiples of guide. I don't foresee 9.4 copies of X-men #1 ever selling as low as $5000.

Where were you guys in 1985-87, right after the last crash, when raw NM books could be had for cut-rate prices?

Ummm... I was 10 back then. I couldn't even afford to buy the beloved Macross #1 that I now have. I just wish my dad had liked comics. I could only imagine how wonderful life would have been if he had bought an Action #1 back in 1970 when it was listed at only $250 cloud9.gif

I agree a crash is inevitable. But the question is, when and to what extent? Like I said, I think it will affect the crazy multiples of guide. I don't foresee 9.4 copies of X-men #1 ever selling as low as $5000.

Oh sure... just burst my bubble why don't you... 893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif

And this is why it's better to be a pure collector than a speculator. A crash doesn't affect a collector as much because they aren't usually looking to sell anyway. At some point the prices will go back up and they can get out then if they want. You're only screwed if you have tons of money dumped into books that you are trying to flip.

i think this is a very good response..... yeah nobody wants to lose...

however, I collect many things, without the thought of ever getting a return on it, such as the many Betty Boop items I collect...

many 1950s items....

I collect because thats what I love to do.....

After the crash, I thought to myself, why didn't anyone see this coming?

Come on, lots of people saw this coming, but there was too much money to be made. Letting reality interfere with trading a few million in options just didn't make sense.

I used to talk about this with brokers, and anytime I brought up the vastly over-valued NASDAQ, it was always "bad for business Vinnie, bad for business".

They were smart guys that knew the deal, but they could make more money by playing along than by being truthful.

How do you know a broker's lying?

His lips are moving.

After the crash, I thought to myself, why didn't anyone see this coming?

Come on, lots of people saw this coming, but there was too much money to be made. Letting reality interfere with trading a few million in options just didn't make sense.

Not me. I bought books like "The Roaring 2000's" and "NASDAQ 4000". I bought into the "how high can it go" mentality. I hear the same sentiments in CGC comics.

Not me. I bought books like "The Roaring 2000's" and "NASDAQ 4000". I bought into the "how high can it go" mentality. I hear the same sentiments in CGC comics.

And what do you hear me saying? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chandler, AZ.

hmmmmm....

Fab 6?

I've been to fab12......

I understand 12 will convert to 300mm processing....

No FAB. I'm an industrial engineer for distribution, so I work in warehousing and transportation. FAB 6 shut down, and is now a cleaning facility, I think. FAB 12 will be shutting down temporarilty to convert to 300mm (and 90 nanometer, I believe). How do you know so much about Intel?