• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newbie question about spine roll/spine alignment

40 posts in this topic

Great info from Roy, all seems correct to me. My original post said "9.8" but I changed it to "9.6" exactly for the reason that the miswrap can affect the very top grades.

The 2nd edition of the Overstreet Grading Guide is the one most like. The 1st ed came out like 10 years before that and was obsolete a long time ago. And if you look on Amazon, our own FFB slams the 3rd edition as being worthless lol

The 3rd edition has some strange stuff in it that a lot of people didn't agree with, like 10.0 copies with various defects...

And just to clarify, even Steve Borock has said that a 10.0 does not necessarily have to be perfect ;)

Interesting...

It's the Overstreet Grading Guide. People say the 2nd Edition is better than the 3rd if I remember rightly.

I've never seen the 2nd ed., but I hate the third. I think it's ridiculous to have only a front cover photo as a grade example. The 1st edition used front and back photo's for an example.

And just to clarify, even Steve Borock has said that a 10.0 does not necessarily have to be perfect ;)

So a Gem Mint can have miswrap then.

BAM!!

EBBEFCCF-9FB7-4D93-8209-EB8CCE342055.png.jpeg

Interesting. The thing that bothers me about this very slight miswrap is that the white stripe angles.

I don't think this book should be a 10.0 .

So a Gem Mint can have miswrap then.

BAM!!

EBBEFCCF-9FB7-4D93-8209-EB8CCE342055.png.jpeg

Interesting. The thing that bothers me about this very slight miswrap is that the white stripe angles.

I don't think this book should be a 10.0 .

I'm up in the air about it. Is it ugly...yes. I wouldn't want it, (except for cheap, or a self-subbed book) as my OCD is out of control. It'd have to be nearly perfect for a 10 with that wrap, and it's hard to tell with that pic. A 10 is for this is probably pushing it, but I have no problem with it being a 9.9.

No miswrap at the top, 1/4" miswrap at the bottom = 1/8" average.

I think the Grading Guide rules only apply on a straight miswrap.

That's an educated guess on my part of course since I don't know what CGC's grading standards actually are.

I cannot help but take a run at the logic here, Roy. :grin:

No spine split at the top and 1/4" split at the bottom = 1/8" average. :baiting:

The question should be if resubbed, would any of those miswrapped 9.9/10's come back as 9.9/10 again? I'm betting they wouldn't. I suspect, that the 9.9/10 grade those got are based on the grading and opinion at that point in time and on any other day those could come back as 9.8's with maybe 1 or 2 retaining the grade.

Sounds like a stupid idea and question (except for sigs) but has anyone experienced resubbing any 9.9 or 10 and having it come back the same?

Resubbing a 9.9 to get a 10.0 is like winning the lottery and giving the ticket back to win a larger amount in a different lottery. On a much smaller scale, of course. But the same idea.