• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOT FLIPS Supply & Comic Book Sale

330 posts in this topic

What's the difference between the Mylites and the flip-n-stick bags? (shrug)

And are the flip bags better than the Mylites?

The flip-n-stick bags are made from polypropylene (which is not archival-safe), whereas the mylites are made from mylar (which is archival-safe).

The flip-n-stick bags are made from polypropylene (which is not archival-safe), whereas the mylites are made from mylar (which is archival-safe).

Thanks Michael :)

Backing Boards (Silver)

7" x 10 1/2"

100 Packs Available

$5.00 Per Pack

z992silbb.jpg

:takeit: x 10 Packs.

If possible, I'd like to pick-up my order at MegaCon. If that isn't possible, no worries.

It is impossible because we will not be at megacon, We are torn between 2 other shows that same weekend, Mega is not one of them

The difference is the Flip-N-Stick bags are made from polypropylene and is archival safe. Mylites are made from Mylar which is made completely acid free. Just because something is not acid free does not mean it is not archival safe. If you store both in proper storage conditions you will not have a problem.

To be fair, it is recommended that you change poly bags every 5 years (Although I have seen comics stored in poly bags for 20 years and nothing was wrong with the bag either).

Mylar they claim you will never have to change the bags Ever again. But I do bet, as with any bag, if they are not stored in the right conditions, mylar can damage your books as well.

Either way, dont hold your comics up to the sun and dont spray a garden hose to them and your books will be just fine.

SECRET WARS 7,8,9 Prepack 3 Pack,

This is one of those rare 3 packs that came out in the 1980's. This also has the key issue of #8 when Spider-man gets his new black outfit

10 Available

$18.00 Each

zzzzz02secretwars3pack789.jpg

:takeit: x 2

The difference is the Flip-N-Stick bags are made from polypropylene and is archival safe. Mylites are made from Mylar which is made completely acid free. Just because something is not acid free does not mean it is not archival safe. If you store both in proper storage conditions you will not have a problem.

To be fair, it is recommended that you change poly bags every 5 years (Although I have seen comics stored in poly bags for 20 years and nothing was wrong with the bag either).

Mylar they claim you will never have to change the bags Ever again. But I do bet, as with any bag, if they are not stored in the right conditions, mylar can damage your books as well.

Either way, dont hold your comics up to the sun and dont spray a garden hose to them and your books will be just fine.

Ehm ... that's just not correct.

The only way you're able to heat seal Polypropylene bags during the manufacturing process is by adding PVDC (which is a relative of PVC); an additive which ensures that the bag is no longer archival-safe.

Mylar (and Melinex, for that matter), on the other hand, is made from an uncoated/untreated polyester film where no additives are added during the manufacturing process - which is one of the main requirements for an archival-safe product.

(The term "acid-free" doesn't apply to bags at all - it's reserved for boards, boxes, and other fiber products where some form of calcium carbonate buffer ensures a neutral pH, and therefore no acidic off-gassing as the fiber degrades.)

Just so you don't take this the wrong way - I use your flip-n-stick bags for my slabbed books, and think they're a great product. But for a slabbed book, whether a bag is archival-safe or not isn't really an issue :foryou:

Ehm ... that's just not correct.

The only way you're able to heat seal Polypropylene bags during the manufacturing process is by adding PVDC (which is a relative of PVC); an additive which ensures that the bag is no longer archival-safe.

Mylar (and Melinex, for that matter), on the other hand, is made from an uncoated/untreated polyester film where no additives are added during the manufacturing process - which is one of the main requirements for an archival-safe product.

(The term "acid-free" doesn't apply to bags at all - it's reserved for boards, boxes, and other fiber products where some form of calcium carbonate buffer ensures a neutral pH, and therefore no acidic off-gassing as the fiber degrades.)

Just so you don't take this the wrong way - I use your flip-n-stick bags for my slabbed books, and think they're a great product. But for a slabbed book, whether a bag is archival-safe or not isn't really an issue :foryou:

Aluminium (UK i /ˌæljʉˈmɪniəm/ AL-ew-MIN-ee-əm)[4] or aluminum (US i /əˈluːmɪnəm/ ə-LOO-mi-nəm) is a silvery white member of the boron group of chemical elements. It has the symbol Al and its atomic number is 13. It is not soluble in water under normal circumstances. Aluminium is the most abundant metal in the Earth's crust, and the third most abundant element, after oxygen and silicon. It makes up about 8% by weight of the Earth's solid surface. Aluminium is too reactive chemically to occur in nature as a free metal. Instead, it is found combined in over 270 different minerals.[5] The chief source of aluminium is bauxite ore.

Aluminium foils thicker than 0.025 mm (0.00098 in) are impermeable to oxygen and water. Foils thinner than this become slightly permeable due to minute pinholes caused by the production process.

Plus... you can make cookies on it! :idea:

IMG_1182.jpg

TRANSFORMERS #4-6, 3 Pack Prebagged

25 In stock

$5.00 Each x1

PUNISHER P.O.V. #1-4, All Formats

$3.00

10 Available

$18.00 Each x1

Tales of the New Teen Titans # 1-4

5 Available, 4 left

Only $1.00 Per set x1

WOLVERINE & PUNISHER #1-3, Mini series

$2.00

WOLVERINE & PUNISHER #1-5 (2nd series)

$4.00

:takeit:

This is one of those rare 3 packs that came out in the 1980's. This also has the key issue of #8 when Spider-man gets his new black outfit

10 Available

$18.00 Each

zzzzz02secretwars3pack789.jpg

Your purdiest set please. :takeit: