• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just a quick question about grading expectations

23 posts in this topic

I mostly buy low to mid grade Golden and Atomic Age books on Ebay. Scans usually tell you if someone is completely smoking crack, and the few books I've won where the seller missed a major defect not visible in the scan, I got my money back. The one exception being a case of obvious amature resto (glue, extra staples on the inside of the book) where the seller (who routinely sells GA books) claimed not to be an expert and had a no return policy not mentioned in their listing ( I resold the book with full disclosure at a 6% loss)

I would say about 50% of what I buy is a grade or occaisonally two lower than advertised ( a 3.5 instead of 4.0, say), but this is no different from when I used to order from dealer catalogs and ads in the CBG. Sometimes a marginal misgrade is evident in the scan, and really, with GA a slight grade discrepancy in low to mid grade has little effect on the value. Also I tend to bargain hunt with the more common books, so I'm often paying less than guide or (FMV) even when a VG/F turns out to be a VG. Once in a while I even get an undergraded book, and it's as likely to be from another collector as it is a major seller. Like everyone else I am leery of estate sale/ "I don't know how to grade" auctions, but will still lowball if I want the book.

And you are an accurate grader to boot!!! thumbsup2.gif That's the trifecta right there.

I give large front and back scans as part of my auctions and have a 7 day unconditional return policy. acclaim.gif