• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do People really care about the CGC registry?

53 posts in this topic

How many people really think that the registry will push the prices of books. I would've thought the census numbers would effect slabbed prices more but I have seen a lot more discussion recently about the registry having an effect. It's cool to see what people have but I wouldn't drive myself to spend stupid money for a "common" book with no real meaning just because it's a CGC 9.9 and worth a [!@#%^&^] load of points.. Besides with people like Ghost Town and Captain Tripps even if I won Mega Millions I still think I could catch up to them.

I can simply say in the coinworld, the registry have pushed the prices and yes, many people care. Many new people have come along due to the coin registrys...

I'm personally suspecting the same will happen here. I'll tell you, I've been bugging non-stop about a Archie Comics registry, I have many many raw highend books that I have been sending in 4 - 6 at a time... in preperation of a Archie Registry..

and yes, I'll also buy some highend graded GEMS.....

How many people really think that the registry will push the prices of books.

Being a pre-code horror cllector first and foremeost, I see no pushing in my area. Now i have also been dabbling in the DC BA Horror and that MAY - but only for slabbed books - and as I really do not WANT slabbed books, it should not impact me. smile.gif

Personally, I could care less about the CGC registry, but I do agree that it has the potential to lure in a few newbies and create a bidding frenzy on the CGC 9.8-9.9 Silver/Bronze issues.

well it will be interesting to watch and see what developes....

I want my Archie Registry... I like it...

There will be folks that do chase high numbers for registry purposes...

I like the idea of have my own personal collection graded and listing those....

What's that? confused.gif

stooges.gifsmirk.gif

How many points would my VGFs gather I wonder... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What's that? confused.gif

stooges.gifsmirk.gif

How many points would my VGFs gather I wonder... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Put them in and find out! thumbsup2.gif

I've broken them out of the slabs but still have the labels.

I don't think they would count anymore... confused.gif

I like the registry. I don't care what it does to prices as far as my own books mainly because the sets I plan on entering into the registry are not for sale. I collect comics and I see the registry as a way to share my collection with others. I think the registry would be truly awesome if more people put in scans of the books they had. That is the one thing about spending mega bucks that I do not understand. For crying out loud! Show it off!

As far as Capt. Tripps and Ghost Town are concerned, I can plainly see they have spectacular collections but I am not going to let their dominance in the registry dissuade me from posting my own sets of 9.2 to 9.6 books. That is, to my way of thinking, stupid. Just because I cannot "beat" someone's collection does not tarnish my enjoyment of my own books.

I agree with you totally on the 9.9 issue. I will not buy a book just to garner lots of points in my set. I want sets with eye appeal. Books that look good in the slabs. I will buy a well centered 9.2 or 9.4 over a 9.6 or 9.8 that has an off-center cover any day, all day.

That is, to my way of thinking, stupid. Just because I cannot "beat" someone's collection does not tarnish my enjoyment of my own books.

I see these as mutually exclusive.

I enjoy my collection, but I don't see the purpose in entering all the data into the Registry. Does this mean I don't enjoy owning the books? Nope, but the Registry side seems to be a lot of work if you're not interested in stroking your own ego.

That is, to my way of thinking, stupid. Just because I cannot "beat" someone's collection does not tarnish my enjoyment of my own books.

I see these as mutually exclusive.

I enjoy my collection, but I don't see the purpose in entering all the data into the Registry. Does this mean I don't enjoy owning the books? Nope, but the Registry side seems to be a lot of work if you're not interested in stroking your own ego.

I have looked at some of the registry sets and wondered about the "ego stroking" you mention. I came to the conclusion that I don't care if they are stroking their egos. I enjoy seeing the books. To me , sharing a collection with others is part of the enjoyment I get from the hobby. It is one of the main reasons I participate on the forums. I enjoy reading posts about other peoples latest acquisitions or the excitement of a good read. I view the registry as an extension of this mentality.

Speaking of good reads, I finally picked up the Capt. America 172-175 you recommended eons ago in the bronze age forum. Hopefully, 175 will be here this weekend and I can sit down and enjoy the read.

I have looked at some of the registry sets and wondered about the "ego stroking" you mention. I came to the conclusion that I don't care if they are stroking their egos. I enjoy seeing the books.

I agree, IF people would post scans instead of just being worried about the "points" and stroking their egos. I'd love to view high-end books, but the whole "chase the big number" phenomenon leaves me cold.

Speaking of good reads, I finally picked up the Capt. America 172-175 you recommended eons ago in the bronze age forum. Hopefully, 175 will be here this weekend and I can sit down and enjoy the read.

Now there's a Bronze Age Time Capsule if I ever read one, and a pretty wild ending, even for the era. thumbsup2.gif

I like the registry sets. My "Re-assembled" Avengers set, while not one of the biggies contains scans and a growing number of commentaries on the individual issues. You can write whatever you want for each copy you have. I talked about Don Hecks cover composition on one, and am planning on expanding my thoughts on other issues. It doesn't have to be "This book kicks [!@#%^&^]. Too bad it's not yours...ha ha!" 27_laughing.gif

I agree, it would be more fun if people added a personal touch, and not just cold numbers. I also have no problem with Supersets like Captain Tripps, but would love him to eventually talk about how he got the issues, etc.

And it's not that much work once you get the hang of it. I am hoping to upload better quality scans. I don't feel it's beating my chest, I'm just sharing my particular collection, since I can't have you guys all over on a Saturday to hang out in the basement and show you my comics!

I agree, IF people would post scans instead of just being worried about the "points" and stroking their egos. I'd love to view high-end books, but the whole "chase the big number" phenomenon leaves me cold.

But if you think that it's a lot of work just to enter serial numbers into the registry (see your earlier post), don't you think it's a whole lot more work to scan every book and post them into the registry too? And not everyone has a scanner...

People's motivations for posting their collections (to stroke their egos, so others can see what the holes are and help them fill it in, whatever), is irrelevant to me. I just enjoy seeing what's in people's collections and in the case of some of the really great collections like Tripps and Ghosttown, to have something to aspire to, both in terms of completeness and quality.

I think when the registry started it was a neat idea, it would interesting to see what people had. Although since they were slow in adding sets the novelty wore off. When you have people like Ghost Town and Captain Tripps so people may not want to enter their sets, figuring why bother. I also dislike the registry becuase everyone collects differently. Some people collect Neal Adams covers, DC 100 giants, certain characters appearances, etc. I highly doubt you would see these sets done any time in the near future. I can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with JC in that it's an ego thing.

I would like to see an open set registry. Where collectors can just enter their collections. So no matter what book you had you could enter, no points at all. It shouldn't be a contest, it's about enjoying the medium with others.

The registry doesn't really do a lot for me in the sense that I saw all these comics brand new on the stands (in multiples) while I was buying them. My mom ran the newstand and I had first crack at the best copies after opening up the manila-paper wrapped magazine bundles. Imagine opening a bundle and you see 10 copies of Spider-Man #7, 6 copies of Suspense #48, 10 Fantastic Four #25 etc. To me they SHOULD all be in NM or MINT because thats the way I remember seeing them.

I certainly don't mean to take away anything from what Tripps and Ghosttown have accomplished. It IS impressive what they've managed to collect considering they acquired the books years after they were first released. I just have no interest in slabbing my books for the sole reason to enter them in a registry. Does that make sense? smile.gif

But if you think that it's a lot of work just to enter serial numbers into the registry (see your earlier post), don't you think it's a whole lot more work to scan every book and post them into the registry too? And not everyone has a scanner...

So these guys with million-dollar collections can't afford a $40 scanner?

I'm a comic collector who likes to look at, talk about, and otherwise enjoy the actual books.

If you're a numbers junkie who gets off on seeing 10049991212 (Oooooh babeee!), then I guess it's different strokes for different folks. confused-smiley-013.gif

I also dislike the registry becuase everyone collects differently. Some people collect Neal Adams covers, DC 100 giants, certain characters appearances, etc. I highly doubt you would see these sets done any time in the near future.

Yup I really don't collect just sets from a specific title. I mostly collect based on villains. 893whatthe.gif I like the GA Tecs but the only ones I really buy are the Joker cover appearances and the only other ones I'm interested in are a few 1st appearances of some of the other villains, Joker interior stories, and a very few covers that are just cool. The only Marvel's I would buy anymore are Kraven the Hunter appearences, and I NEVER expect to see a registry set made just for his full appearances...

Well, if the registry isn't your thing, then why not create a website based on your own specialty. Like Osborns, which is pretty simple, homemade and looks great.

Link

I think a Kraven site would be great!

And as far as the registry.....if it's an ego thing, then how would my ego be inflated by looking up at Captain Tripps set which has about 20x the points as mine? I'm in it for the fun. Again, it's not that hard to use!

If you don't like it, don't use it. Big deal. confused-smiley-013.gif