• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Inconsistent? Couldn't be...

4 posts in this topic

X-men 423 is one of the Marvel 25-cent issues that came out in 2004. There is a Newstand Variant labeled by CGC for the regular $2.99 issue that came out. It's included in the Registry and there are six or so copies graded. It's not and easy book to come by.

So, I'm an Avengers completist. Not news to anyone. I manage to srounge up a HG copy of Avengers V3 #77 that is the Newstand Variant and squeak a grade of 9.6 out of it. Came out the same month as all the other 25-cent copies. CGC grades it and sends it back but it's not labeled as a Newstand Variant. No big deal. CGC mislabels a startling number of variants nowadays and I had two more in the same shipment. I send it back for corrected labeling and it comes back again without the Newstand Variant label.

I call up CGC and, after the fellow talks to the graders, tells me that it doesn't warrant a variant label. The regular label just notes that $2.99 versions exist and they don't consider it a variant.

So which is right, X-men 423 or Avengers V3 #77?